Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3192 99.35%
NO 21 0.65%
Voters: 3213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 23:51   #2581
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am confused!! He hasn't bothered about all the people who reported problems with the car / A$$, but initiates a conversation with someone on the road?! Was he optimistic that he will hear a positive response from the owner since the car was NOT in the service centre? Would be interesting to know whether he has bothered to visit any A$$ and tried to get a feedback from any of the owners present there.
Well sir, probably he wanted to generate some positive image for Skoda in Team-BHP and hence interviewed with a BHP-ian. And he was pretty successful in doing so too.
Old 2nd February 2015, 02:27   #2582
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!

A nice gesture for sure. But they can do so much more. They are also not able to make Octavia available in sufficient qtty or is it a cover for poor sales. The product line has started to age and the desirable variants are priced too high. They are making an effort on service but it seems to be too little too late.
Old 6th February 2015, 18:29   #2583
BHPian

My Membership got approved recently, and I'm very honored by it!
Now, that aside.
It has been 8 months since i purchased a new Skoda Rapid(1.6 TDI).
I Would like to share this small incident which happened with Skoda last month.
It was time when i had to get the car checked up for the initial 6 months maintenance check at Tafe Access(Bangalore), i booked an appointment and took the car to the workshop on the morning of the prescribed day. The vehicle was delivered to me the next day after the maintenance jobs had been carried out. As i took the vehicle and was driving back home, i noticed that the glow plug warning light started to blink continuously, this was surprising indeed. When i called up the service advisor, he asked me to bring the vehicle back to the workshop so that they could rectify the fault.
And after a few days i managed to get the vehicle back to the workshop, where the same SA told me that the air filter which was cleaned and put back during the maintenance check needs to be replaced because it is in a bad condition.
Now, if this was the case and the filter was worn out so much that it needs to be replaced, then why didn't they replace it in the first place during the maintenance check up?
I just can not understand it.
This initial experience that i had and also going through the previous posts give me Goosebumps!
Old 6th February 2015, 20:41   #2584
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyanth View Post
I noticed that the glow plug warning light started to blink continuously

And after a few days i managed to get the vehicle back to the workshop, where the same SA told me that the air filter which was cleaned and put back during the maintenance check needs to be replaced because it is in a bad condition.
Sorry but I fail to understand the connection of Glow plug warning light and Air filter condition.

How would changing/cleaning the air filter reset the glow plug malfunction?

Does the SA know what he is talking?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 20:50   #2585
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to anurag's post above. Also why did the air filter not replaced in the first instance if its condition was so bad? On top of that does a air filter conk off within few months in a new car unless you have travelling through sand dunes.

Just for comparsion sakes, the air filter in my Altis is supposed to be changed every 40k km interval.

Last edited by drmohitg : 6th February 2015 at 20:55.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 21:24   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry but I fail to understand the connection of Glow plug warning light and Air filter condition.

Does the SA know what he is talking?
Dear Anurag,
Even i was astonished to hear what he said, they claim that the glow plug warning occurs even if an air filter is choked!
They even say that they receive a lot of cases pertaining to this problem itself.
This is something i really not able to understand.

Any suggestions?
Old 6th February 2015, 21:41   #2587
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1 to anurag's post above. Also why did the air filter not replaced in the first instance if its condition was so bad?
Dr Saab, this is the way a customer is brought back into the ASC for pulling money with such silly reasons.

Quote:
Just for comparsion sakes, the air filter in my Altis is supposed to be changed every 40k km interval.
This is a Skoda Saar! Premium manufacturer since 1857!

Quote:
This initial experience that i had and also going through the previous posts give me Goosebumps!
Even the stupidest mechanic will laugh at TAFÉ's diagnostic talent.

I would say it is a sign to 'Stay away' for both your health and yours cars health. Go to another ASC.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th February 2015 at 21:43.
Old 7th February 2015, 16:07   #2588
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Anurag,
Even i was astonished to hear what he said, they claim that the glow plug warning occurs even if an air filter is choked!
They even say that they receive a lot of cases pertaining to this problem itself.
This is something i really not able to understand.
Sorry buddy, missed getting a notification of the Quote.

In 'normal' cars there is no link between the air filter and glow plug so what the SA is of no sense at all. Ignore and do visit any other ASC or an FNG (problem I see is warranty as your car is pretty new).

BTW, is the light still seen?
Old 8th February 2015, 10:06   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry buddy, missed getting a notification of the Quote.

In 'normal' cars there is no link between the air filter and glow plug so what the SA is of no sense at all. Ignore and do visit any other ASC or an FNG (problem I see is warranty as your car is pretty new).

BTW, is the light still seen?
It doesn't show up all the time sir, only after 40 to 45 minutes after I start a trip it occurs.
And if I park the vehicle aside and restart the engine, it is all gone!
Strange!
Old 8th February 2015, 12:22   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't show up all the time sir, only after 40 to 45 minutes after I start a trip it occurs.
Strange!
I had a similar problem. In my laura but with the ABS light coming on after some use - again varied use sometimes 45 minutes sometimes a few hours.
The mechanic at autobahn Mumbai cleaned the fuses on the left side under the bonnet (or could be relays as they were quite large) which had some white deposits on them and the problem has not re occurred. Maybe you could try that.
cmody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 13:37   #2591
BANNED

Quote:

Strange!
Check the wiring to the glow plugs and also hook the car up to an OBD reader like VAG COM in your case to know what the cars brain is wanting to tell us.

The next time you find that lamp lot, do take a picture and post.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th February 2015 at 13:38.
Old 8th February 2015, 17:34   #2592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As i took the vehicle and was driving back home, i noticed that the glow plug warning light started to blink continuously, this was surprising indeed. When i called up the service advisor, he asked me to bring the vehicle back to the workshop so that they could rectify the fault.
As said by others, either get the car scanned for errors at the dealership, or get it done through a OBD reader. If you want me to share mine, you could drop in to my place suppose if you happen to stay somewhere near or around Jayanagar, Basavangudi or Banashankari.

Quote:
I fail to understand the connection of Glow plug warning light and Air filter condition.
As you say, the SA did not take the right approach into this issue. The air filter was some lame excuse given and they would have reset the ECU.

Quote:
In 'normal' cars there is no link between the air filter and glow plug so what the SA is of no sense at all.

Keeping the air filter issue aside, any electronic system is programmed to react to a certain set of conditions, indications or situations. Hence, a glow plug indicator doesn't have to turn on only due to a problem with the glow plug. It uses simple logic to decide whether the light should be triggered on or not. Same applies for any other warning light on the dashboard. A failing battery can give random warning lights on the dashboard, including the glow plug light. In this situation, when a scanner is hooked up, the user will get multiple errors from unthinkable sources.

The reason is simple, the battery couldn't give the right voltage to the controller(ECM, BCM, etc) as well as the various sensors installed in the car. This in turn causes erratic outputs from the sensors which is read by the related system. Since the values aren't as per acceptable ranges, the system then triggers the warning light. Hence, basic elements sometimes create complex problems which need to be looked at from a bottom up approach.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th February 2015 at 17:35.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 10:28   #2593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strange!
So this is happening even after replacing the Air filter? Or did not go back to the service centre for the above problem after they told you that the air filter might be the problem?
Old 12th February 2015, 10:50   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
So this is happening even after replacing the Air filter? Or did not go back to the service centre for the above problem after they told you that the air filter might be the problem?
I got the filter replaced, and after a week of driving the problem seems to have disappeared, did a highway run of about 800km as well. No problem as of now.
I did inspect the old air filter once the mechanic removed it, and it was not in good shape. It had seen better days!
That was really shocking!
Old 12th February 2015, 12:41   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Skoda Saar! Premium manufacturer since 1857!
Must correct you here: Skoda was founded in 1897.

As regards to their premiumness: None. Absolutely none. They were a Third World car maker- who stuck with making useless cars and 2 stroke motors for a very long time. In fact- If not for VW, they would've died a very natural death.

There was a phrase at VW in the early 'Nineties (w.r.t Skoda): How do you turn one hell of a brand into one heck of brand?
Suffice to say- Skoda has been revitalized. Never mind Skoda India's utterly useless management, and A.S.S.
Quote:
I got the filter replaced, and after a week of driving the problem seems to have disappeared, did a highway run of about 800km as well. No problem as of now.
I did inspect the old air filter once the mechanic removed it, and it was not in good shape. It had seen better days!
That was really shocking!
See- A couple of sensors are indeed connected to the air filter. BUT- If you notice, the VW Vento/Skoda Rapid air filter is quite tough to remove.

A helpful link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-cleaning.html
Thus- It is quite complicated- quite unlike the remove-a-couple-of-clamps motors, such as the Suzuki KNext- aka the K10BN.

You can see- some perhaps some newbie mech messed it up?
Move on I say- Such things are part and parcel of owning a German car.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th February 2015 at 12:42.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed