Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2009, 22:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

A-Star in Diesel???

that's what Mr Sparshq of autocar india forums claims to have spotted.

link:Autocar India Forums: A-STAR DIESEL SPOTTED

can anyone follow the thread and put a light on it?

or has he mistook a splash/ritz for an a-star diesel?

how come such a dinky car have a DDIS engine?
Old 28th March 2009, 22:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) They already haev their handsful with Swifts bros
2) If they have to launch a diesel, SX4 will get it.
3) Maybe its KPzen's or iraghava's relative who bought a petrol one and rebadged it!
Old 29th March 2009, 00:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am sure he mistook the Ritz as A-star. Ritz was know to arrive with both diesel and petrol motors. And where will they place the diesel A-star. The A-star is new Mercedes-Benz of small cars, earlier this place was occupied by original Zen.

I think to keep with the image of A-star as new Zen and to avert overlapping between siblings, Maruti must not come out with diesel powered A-star.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:03   #4
BHPian

Its really a shame that Maruti cannot satisfy the demand for diesel cars for the country.
If they were able to produce diesel A star's and diesel SX4's then they would have completely decimated all the other car manufacturers.

Tata's, Hyundai's and Ford's are really lucky in that matter and should pray that Maruti remain like that for as long as possible
Old 29th March 2009, 15:01   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The A-Star is one of my favorite hatches; it is just SO much fun to drive. If Maruti can handle supply issues, a diesel A-Star will sell like hot cakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The A-star is new Mercedes-Benz of small cars
Huh? No offence but that is a pretty ridiculous statement to make. Pray tell me how it is a Mercedes of small cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Its really a shame that Maruti cannot satisfy the demand for diesel cars for the country.
Shame is too strong a word, Revhappy. It's only a case of demand far outstripping supply. C'mon, Maruti would love to sell a diesel Swift / DZire to each customer who wants one. Not like it's any hidden agenda on their part.
Old 29th March 2009, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...Shame is too strong a word, Revhappy. It's only a case of demand far outstripping supply. C'mon, Maruti would love to sell a diesel Swift / DZire to each customer who wants one. Not like it's any hidden agenda on their part.
Hi @GTO,

Sorry about that. I didnt really mean that. In india the word shame is very strong. But in the UK the word shame is used just like "Its really sad" or "It's Unfortunate". As I have been working with a UK based company and got used to their way of speaking, I said that.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 29th March 2009, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) The A-Star is one of my favorite hatches; it is just SO much fun to drive. If Maruti can handle supply issues, a diesel A-Star will sell like hot cakes.

2) Huh? No offence but that is a pretty ridiculous statement to make. Pray tell me how it is a Mercedes of small cars?
1) I fear overlapping coming in way of success. Already A-star is slightly on the costlier side. Adding diesel will make it overlap with the Swift range. If there is not a huge overlap, at least the diesel A-star can confuse the customer as the difference will be less between Swift and A-star.
Moreover the Ritz is also coming with the same motor. This will just complicate the matter as far as Maruti range goes.

OT :

2) Its just from my point of view. After the swift that has taken the crown of rattling hatch, A-star is pleasant surprise. The car does feel well built and is for those who are ready to buy the car from heart. Real fun to drive, good powertrain along with good FE, add to that the Maruti A.S & S. and reasonable cost of spares as most of the bits are from parts sharing bin.
IMHO, this car comes close to the original Zen that was one of the last good hatches available in the country.

Again, Sir, its just my thought from my point of view. This might not be applicable to all who want good rear seat space after paying a handsome amount.

I apologize if my post sounds offensive.
Old 29th March 2009, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The A-Star is one of my favorite hatches; it is just SO much fun to drive. If Maruti can handle supply issues, a diesel A-Star will sell like hot cakes.
A question GTO, wont the fun to drive factor be affected if they plonk the 1.3 MJD in the A-Star? Or will they chop off one cylinder? Man that would make it fun and economical, much like a mini - Swift
Old 29th March 2009, 17:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I really don't think A-Star hood can accommodate 1.3 DDiS.
Old 29th March 2009, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

They can put a jet engine in the A Star & I still wont buy that ridiculous, cramped hatch.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

The cramped,noisy and highly impractical hatch is what A-Star is.
Unless one is a college student/bachelor, please stay away from it. Diesel or no diesel.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
that's what Mr Sparshq of autocar india forums claims to have spotted.

link:Autocar India Forums: A-STAR DIESEL SPOTTED

can anyone follow the thread and put a light on it?

or has he mistook a splash/ritz for an a-star diesel?

how come such a dinky car have a DDIS engine?
also the news was confirmed that it was 1.DI engine which was spotted and not DDiS, seems suzuki and maruti working on new diesel engines or tie up with fiat.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:48   #13
BHPian

I Agree to what DCEite & Steeroid Posted.

This Overpriced Hatch is just for Singles or for couples who are not planning for Family, than they can use the rears seat for luggage.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Unless one is a college student/bachelor, please stay away from it. Diesel or no diesel.
Cramped and impractical yes i agree but i don't think A-Star is noisy. Its pretty silent.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
And it still found its way to your avatar. Kidding , i guess you only liked the Modded A-star. I think A-star hasnt done well as per MSIL s expectations. Suddenly Maruti started overpricing their hatches. I think most of them would prefer a i10 diesel (when launched) to a A-Star diesel. Just My personal opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks