Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 18:09   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post
Gov should make hybird car duty free or have lower duties. This will help the environment and also consumers can import nice cars (Lexus hybird/Escalade).
I think PC did something to this effect in last year's budget. All that the Reva manufacturers did was to pocket the benefit than pass it on to the consumers. No idea if Honda Civic was around then.
Old 27th May 2009, 19:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I think PC did something to this effect in last year's budget. All that the Reva manufacturers did was to pocket the benefit than pass it on to the consumers. No idea if Honda Civic was around then.
All Chidu did was to cut excise duty on hybrid cars from 24% to 14%. That made no difference to the Reva, which is an electric car and made no difference to the Civic H, which was an import (hence not impacted by a reduction in a factory gate tax). The only people benefitting from that cut, I think, is Mahindra with their micro-hybrid tech.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:21   #48
BHPian

Another perspective - Prius became a successful car in the US driven by two factors: (a) Increasing gas prices, that went up from $1.49 to around $5 last year, and (b) tax rebate to those buying hybrids. In India, there was never such a thing as cheap gas, and never a government that offered tax benefits to lower emissions. Hence, both pull and push factors are kind of missing. Just my two cents.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy16000 View Post
In India, there was never such a thing as cheap gas, and never a government that offered tax benefits to lower emissions. Hence, both pull and push factors are kind of missing. Just my two cents.
Our beloved country believe in "Cure is Better than Care".
See the Reva is still strugling to get some rebate in Indian Market, Bajaj is still selling 2 stroke Auto, Maruthi is Still doing havoc with omni and m800, still the age old truck/tractor/bus is plying on the road with full glory.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:20   #50

Thts the old prius and toyota does not sell old models in india
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:00   #51
BHPian

I personally prefer this version of the Prius

Old 23rd July 2009, 16:20   #52
BHPian

After watching reruns of Jeff Dunham shows on DVD, I have often wondered what in blazes the Prius was considering the way ol'Jeff goes on and on about this car. Jeff, along with others in the US stand up scene have the same opinion of the Prius as bikers have about the Bajaj Pulsar. And after seeing this car's pictures, floral prints running down the side and all, i am convinced that Jeff and others are right about this car being totally gay!

Check out the following videos:

Quote: "I used to pick Priuss's out of the grill of my hummer!" CLASSIC!

Quote: "When it goes past it soudns like aaaaaaahmmm gay! and whenit idles it sounds like homomomomomo!"

The pics in this thread are also of a Bleeww Prius! very pweety

Last edited by COUGAR : 23rd July 2009 at 16:28.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

well the GWIZ is not doing badly in the UK.
I think the goverment should invest in R/D on alternative fuels. And this should be a Nationwide initiative. Not 4-5 puny metro's.
in the UK the taxes on a car are based on its emissions also.
Cars like prius etc will take full benefit if the same rule is brought in here.

Last edited by vinaydas : 23rd July 2009 at 19:17.

Most Viewed