Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:38   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Worli : the new auto-hub of Mumbai

Everybody seems to be setting up a presence there. I just saw the latest entrant - Mitsu's Montero parked prominently at Atria Mall.

Thus, within a 3 - 4 km radius, we have:

Mercedes (Auto Hangar Prabhadevi)
Audi (beautiful showroom bang across Atria mall)
Rolls Royce (Navnit Motors at Atria)
Tata Motors (official workshop at worli and company showroom at prabhadevi)
Fiat (Shaman at Prabhadevi)
Ford (Ditto)
Honda (Shaman at Prabhadevi)
Hyundai (next to Auto Hangar and another Hyundai Motor Plaza near Phoenix Mills)
Mahindra Renault (where Sah & Sanghi had their Bajaj showroom)
Maruti (Vitesse - best MUL dealer yet. And Sai Service in Phoenix Mills)
Mitsubishi (Atria Mall)
Skoda (Auto Bahn Prabhadevi)
Toyota (Shinrai ahead of Worli Naka)
VW (Opp Satyam Cinemas)
Chevrolet (National Garage, right after Haji Ali)

BMW is supposedly setting up a showroom at Worli as well. ACI reports Jaguar & Land Rover property as confirmed on the same road. And Porsche is just 3 - 4 kms ahead on Peddar Road.

With that, we've covered all the brands excepting for an odd Volvo. Worli & Prabhadevi are the new automotive hubs of Mumbai! Unsurprising since Worli can effectively cover South & Central Mumbai both.

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2009 at 13:42.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:45   #2
BHPian

Hi GTO,

You forgot GM (Chevrolet) just down the road from Worli.

Reason here is that due to the relaxation in the Maharashtra model rent acts, most of the large format (large plate area) stores are now available on leave and license as against the older tenancy act tenants, additionally these are located in Worli and towards the north.

Most large format stores too are in this region due to redevelopment (Shinrai Toyota for eg. had recoverted their area which was earlier housing tenants - under the SRD scheme)

It's nearest to the customers located in South Bombay as well.

Cheers
M
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I think more than anything, Worli is the hub of South Mumbai, just like Carters/Reclamation in Bandra is the hub in the western suburbs.
It isn't surprising that most of the auto dealers are located here as the area is quite centrally located, with lots of office goers passing by. Also, it has some good roads for test drives, quite smooth and that plus the expensive location makes it the ideal choice for high end auto showrooms.
I am waiting for the BMW showroom to open up though!

GTO, i would also like to add Hyundai Motor Plaza near Phoenix, a Mercedes Workshop is located there as well, plus another Maruti Dealership in Phoenix (Sai Service?)

Last edited by lamborghini : 3rd April 2009 at 21:01.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Add Jaguar to the list. Showroom's coming up at Ceejay House, opposite Atria Mall.
Mahindra-Renault have shifted to the place where Sah & Sanghi had their Bajaj showroom. They're no longer at Lucas - TVS. Fiat / Tata is no longer sold by Shaman. Feels good to stay at Prabhadevi.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd April 2009 at 21:27.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi GTO,

M
Add to that Hyundai, in the same building as National Garage!

Since we've come as far as Pedder road (Porsche), you also have Mercedes (Sah and Sanghi) a little ahead on Hughes road, Mitsubishi/Hindustan Motors opposite it and M&M/Renault parallel to it on Marine Drive. (I've stretched this a bit too much haven't I?)

GTO- you missed Sai Service (Maruti) in Phoenix Mills itself.

Last edited by swale84 : 3rd April 2009 at 21:42.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fiat (Shaman at Prabhadevi)
Ford (Ditto)
Mahindra (next to Auto Hangar)
Fiat is with Tata
Mahindra has moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
dude that is haji ali
Old 4th April 2009, 00:44   #7
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
dude that is haji ali
Hyundai Motor Plaza has shifted to Lower Parel in place of Ichibaan Honda. And now is next door neighbour of Sai Service which is in Phoenix Mills.

I wonder what is coming at Arya Honda's original place? Next to VW President. I havnet been there in a long time.
Old 4th April 2009, 01:11   #8

As of now, The Hyundai Motor Plaza area is empty and the Arya Honda Place is empty. My Suggestion: Ferrari and Maserrati and HMP's Place!!
Old 4th April 2009, 01:15   #9
BHPian

as far as I know Hyundai has also moved from there. Hyundai motor plaza was right next to the GM showroom, which is bang opp. T.G. Pavillion ground and in between the famous Heera panna shopping centre and the Cadbury house. now that place is just empty at present. nothing there.

Porsche is also not on the Peddar road. it is a little ahead of Peddar road. at the Kemps corner junction. little ahead of Crosswords.

The Land Rover/Jaguar showroom which are coming up at Ceejay House, opp. Atria Mall, is supposed to be only the 3rd in the world for the super exclusive Jaguar. the other two being in Manhattan and London. also the Rolls Royce showroom, when opened, was the only one in the entire asia pacific region (or was it south asia region.. I remember reading something on this.. just cant remember exactly what it was for sure..)

The other reason all these brands coming to worli is because there is not much open space else where in south bombay except worli. and it also being at the end of south bombay and near bandra, the two most poshest places of mumbai, helps getting to the potential customers of such brands. and other plus point is that the worli area is pretty open and with big roads. sea-face also being near by, test drives are also easier. I remember test driving a Qualis on seaface, when it was newly launched. and also before buying my santro from Hyundai motor plaza (now closed) had test driven it on sea-face

the other such place is the new link road in andheri. there is skoda, maruti, mercedes benz, M & M-Logan, Hyundai and Volvo all lined up on single stretch. Honda exited from there last year (Ichiban Honda).

Haven't come accross a Bentley showroom ever. I suppose there is no exclusive Bentley dealership in mumbai just like Volvo which is sharing its dealer with Hyundai, Shreenath Motors, Andheri.
Old 4th April 2009, 01:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Our firm has been given a time frame of 60 days to complete the Jaguar / landrover showroom at worli cj house. So in all probabilities the showroom will be upand running by august.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bai-worli.html

The bmw showroom also is up and running now.It stands right next to the Maruti showroom.

Last edited by danlalan : 4th April 2009 at 01:46.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:48   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
GTO, i would also like to add Hyundai Motor Plaza near Phoenix, a Mercedes Workshop is located there as well, plus another Maruti Dealership in Phoenix (Sai Service?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Mahindra-Renault have shifted to the place where Sah & Sanghi had their Bajaj showroom.
Quote:
List has been suitably edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Our firm has been given a time frame of 60 days to complete the Jaguar / landrover showroom at worli cj house. So in all probabilities the showroom will be upand running by august.
Holy sweet! Must be some experience. Any chance of work-in-progress pics?

Quote:
The bmw showroom also is up and running now.It stands right next to the Maruti showroom.
Where? Vitesse? Sah & Sanghi?

Quote:
They've shut down. I see an empty floor space there.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
As of now, The Hyundai Motor Plaza area is empty and the Arya Honda Place is empty. My Suggestion: Ferrari and Maserrati and HMP's Place!!

Ducati is coming in the place of HMP . Showroom should open soon.

@GTO: BMW is right next to Vitesse opposite Jewel of India. Its an awesome showroom with an M V8 engine on display at the reception itself.
Old 5th April 2009, 13:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

With locations this close by, who needs a multi-car showroom ?
Old 11th April 2009, 18:23   #14
BHPian

wow! so many exotic cars being available so close by. its amazing.

now only if the govt. changes its import policy a bit so the indian customers dont have to pay 2.5 times what people pay in the rest of the world. and also because of these duty laws, most premium brands charge even more then they should, taking undue advantage of the customers.
Old 11th April 2009, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly, I saw none of those showrooms when I drove down to Mumbai in Dec, 2007. I had to visit an uncle at a flat near Siddhi Vinayak temple. Perhaps it was not in my route from Thane, or in my drive to Juhu thereafter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks