Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 23:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Rattles are usual.
I guess MUL had some ego issues. If a 5.8L Swift "can" rattle. Then how can a 2.5L Alto not ? And there you go!

But can't really blame the manufacturers. Its the consumers who basically suck up to whatever is thrown at them. And the regulators/certifying authorities.. oh well nevermind!
Old 7th April 2009, 23:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

You are 100% right. Build quality of new Alto's is tacky. I feel even engine is not upto mark. Its smooth and silent than the earlier ones but totally lacks top end and pulling power.

Quote:
I guess MUL had some ego issues. If a 5.8L Swift "can" rattle. Then how can a 2.5L Alto not ? And there you go!
Add 16 lac Grand Vitara to that list. It rattles too

Last edited by abhibh : 8th April 2009 at 00:01.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:20   #18
BHPian

Also, I noticed whenever I park the car outside in the hot sun I get this squeaky noise from the steering each time I steer to either extremes for sometime, and this never occurs during night drives. Never understood why? pretty weird I must say.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Marutis have not been known for their build quality - generally, and particularly of late.
Old 8th April 2009, 01:23   #20
BHPian

Rattles, Low quality plastics, low boot space, uncomfortable rear space are some of the features which can be identified in almost every Maruti Suzuki here in India.
But on the positive side, High fuel efficieny, VFM, cheap & vast service network, good resale, cheap spares can also be identified with every Maruti Suzuki here !
Old 8th April 2009, 08:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Although this is not directly related to build quality, i thought i shall ask this question here, since the Alto is being discussed : Do you guys find the Alto headlights to be woefully inadequate in low beam? Or, is this a problem specific to my car?

I've observed that the car hardly lights up any distance in front while on low beam, thereby forcing one to switch to the high beam, and earning the wrath of other fellow motorists. Is there some sort of an adjustment which can be done to focus the beam a little further up? The height adjustment mchanism which has been provided is of no use, as i noticed no difference at all.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I agree, have 1998 Alto back home. Its build quality in certain area is much better. E.g. boot has plastic cladding that makes it easier to install parcel trays.
Are you sure yours is a 1998 model?? coz IIRC the Alto was launched sometime in September, 2000!

Last edited by prince85 : 8th April 2009 at 09:17.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Maruti cars are not known for build quality and materials used are cheap ones in most of the models. Its public's feeling/perception/blind thinking that Maruti is VFM. But in reality its not TRUE. Same case applies in Alto too. But I still prefer Alto and M800 which are best small cars in India.

I noticed in Alto: Too much of vibration when in idle but it goes off little bit if shell premium is used instead of shell normal fuel. The reason I baught pre owned Alto is I wanted small car with fully loaded features (of course won't get ABS/AirBAG) in 3 lacs.
Alto was only choice for me in 3 lacs, hence I baught it.

Person who sold ALto to me said its riding bad then Auto and I told him as he owns SUV as other car it is his feeling With Appollo stock tyres ALto used to wobble too much and bouncing even in decent roads. With Michellin it rides very smooth. But still clutch and gear lever and engine harsh feeling is not good but with michellin it rides very nice.

My wife when she tried ALto (previous car being 7yrs old Matiz) first 2 days she couldnot drive Alto (3k ODO) as it was very rough compared to Matiz (50+k ODO) and Innova(34+k ODO). With Michellin she is damm happy with Alto drive.

But still Alto has more +ve points, If MUL keep improving the product with reasonable raise in price it would be good for customers.

Ravi.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

mine alto is of sept 2006 model.
currently,
1] it has ran 49600 km.
2] no rattles from doors but sometimes front left door glass rattles.
3] when ice is in full blast, boot door lock assembly rattles badly.
4] sometimes, i mean rarely, rattling sound comes from dashboard at driver side.
5] just 10 days back, on 28/3/2009, dog hit at 70 km speed caused front bumper breakage, condenser bending and leakage, radiator bending, one steel bracket completely broken. i wonder, if 15 kg dog hit cause this much damage, what will happen if other vehicle hit occures.
i have concluded that alto is just a car, not safe car.
if earlier altos are felt safe with their built quality, then current altos are not upto the mark.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 8th April 2009 at 09:44.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:45   #25
BHPian

I face the same set of issues.

The rattle is a part of the drive.
The door seems quite feeble (no 'thud' while closing)
The rear door seems of poor quality.
Cannot comment on the plastics as I have not seen the old Alto.

My car was bought in Dec 2008.

Although I feel the jerking and 'judder' sometimes, I would attribute it to my style of driving. After advice from Team BHP members, I have rectified it to a great extent now.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
5] just 10 days back, on 28/3/2009, dog hit at 70 km speed caused front bumper breakage, condenser bending and leakage, radiator bending, one steel bracket completely broken. i wonder, if 15 kg dog hit cause this much damage, what will happen if other vehicle hit occures.
i have concluded that alto is just a car, not safe car.
Its not the weight of the dog that causes the damage, its the momentum. 70 kmph and 15 kgs is about 291 kgm (not sure if this is correct) and all that force is concentrated on a small area of impact. This will obviously create forces high enough to damage the car.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This will obviously create forces high enough to damage the car.
yes, it is true, as an engineer, i know that.

my point is if dog hit can cause this much damage to vehicle, now, i am feared to drive this vehicle at speeds thinking about safety of mine.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
yes, it is true, as an engineer, i know that.

my point is if dog hit can cause this much damage to vehicle, now, i am feared to drive this vehicle at speeds thinking about safety of mine.
Arent modern day cars built to crumple on impact ? Crumple Zones to keep passengers safe ? Why 70kph, accelerate from a stop to 40kph and if you hit something, you will have similar damages.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Arent modern day cars built to crumple on impact ? Crumple Zones to keep passengers safe ? Why 70kph, accelerate from a stop to 40kph and if you hit something, you will have similar damages.
whatever logic it may be, i am not feeling safe in alto anymore.
may be, its time to upgrade to car with airbags.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Any reason is good for upgrading your car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks