Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Has MUL compromised on the build quality of the Alto's lately ?

Disclaimer : Folks this post of mine is solely based on my experience and not by hearsay.

As the title itself explains my question is that " has MUL compromised on the build quality of the Maruti Alto off late " ?
I have been using dad's alto LXI (brought in Nov 2008) for the last few days and apparently noticed the following

1 - The doors rattle which was never persistent in the older Alto which I had owned, this is too obvious to be ignored.
2 - The so called re-assuring thud which was evident in the older Alto's while closing the doors/boot lid is completely missing.
3 - Has the quality of plastics used deteriorated ?

This aint my daily driver and also I aint comparing it to the baleno by any means at all.

Having owned a 2004 Model Alto LXI before my baleno, I found it leagues ahead of the current Alto in terms of the plastics and the build quality.
The ICE part is still pending on this car and I wonder how much of damping would be needed to get rid of the so called rattles.
Any fellow owners who have experienced the same and what are your thoughts ?

Mods : Please merge if we have an already existing topics. Thanks in advance.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yes Riju, the quality has deteriorated big time. Loads of cost cutting in newer models.

If you see the boot and C-pillar, there is no plastic cladding any more, they just cover it with the carpet vertically. My Alto has full plastic cladding.

The newer ones really feel flimsy.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree, have 1998 Alto back home. Its build quality in certain area is much better. E.g. boot has plastic cladding that makes it easier to install parcel trays.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Viddy and netfreakbombay thanks for your opinions. Also viddy has the issue with the clutch been sorted out ?

I find the clutch also to be real hard on the newer alto.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Regarding clutch, my car's clutch had to change at just 1200 KM. It was done under warranty, so not cost.

Car used to "judder" at low speeds (Usually in bumper to bumper traffic). As per MSAS clutch was the issue.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Viddy and netfreakbombay thanks for your opinions. Also viddy has the issue with the clutch been sorted out ?

I find the clutch also to be real hard on the newer alto.
My friend got an Alto in June 2008, and he had a fuel injection issue (car has no pickup at all for a few seconds after slotting into any gear) within 3 months. According to MASS, the frequency of this occurring has gone up in the last 2 years or so and they get a lot of cars with the same problem.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Regarding clutch, my car's clutch had to change at just 1200 KM. It was done under warranty, so not cost.

Car used to "judder" at low speeds (Usually in bumper to bumper traffic). As per MSAS clutch was the issue.
Netfreak, did changing the clutch resolve the issue even I sometimes experience this rattle at low speeds in traffic. I believed the alto just couldnt handle low revs. My car has done only 12000 kms and maybe its high time I get my cluctch checked. Mine is 2007 model, and the poor conditions on the doors as said by rjstyle is too irritating. Is there something that can be done about this?
Old 7th April 2009, 18:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

I ask about the cluth issue is only coz a friends car had the same problem. Last evening we realized that the clutch has gone kaput.

Also my worries have increased now since I was planning on headers for the alto. With a clutch that fries as per wish , I don't know how often we would need to be at the service center.
Old 7th April 2009, 18:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Same pinch, Riju.. since i also regularly get to drive dad's Alto when i am in Kerala.

Both my bro and myself subject this car to some hard driving, and i attributed the rattle/s which has cropped up to this. Little did i imagine that this was an inbuilt trait. However, with regards to build quality, i wasnt expecting much from the car, anyway.

As for the clutch issue, did you guys notice the slight judder with the A/C turned on? With the A/C on, crawls in slow-moving traffic are a major irritant on the Alto.

Also, when idle, there is a somewhat distinct vibration which is periodic. I believe this maybe due to it having a 3 pot, as against the 4 cylinders which i am used to, so left it at that.
Old 7th April 2009, 18:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
Netfreak, did changing the clutch resolve the issue
MASS changed the clutch assembly. Bill showed a charge of 3 - 4 thousand and the same discount due to warranty period.

That fixed this judder at slow speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
and the poor conditions on the doors as said by rjstyle is too irritating. Is there something that can be done about this?
I face this issue as well. IMHO solution would be to apply sampening material to door panels and plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As for the clutch issue, did you guys notice the slight judder with the A/C turned on? With the A/C on, crawls in slow-moving traffic are a major irritant on the Alto.
Faced that judder. MASS changes clutch assemble to fix that.

Other then that, there was a "Kat Kat Kat" kind of sound if I turned steering to completely right.

It was diagnosed and fixed by them on their own during third service. I was ignoring that assuming that its normal.

Some part costing ~4k was replaced (again free due to warranty). Don't remember exact name. Will dig out service bills later.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 7th April 2009 at 19:00.
Old 7th April 2009, 19:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, when idle, there is a somewhat distinct vibration which is periodic. I believe this maybe due to it having a 3 pot, as against the 4 cylinders which i am used to, so left it at that.

Those periodic vibrations at idle are even present in the A-Star ! 3 pot being the culprit.
Old 7th April 2009, 19:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S
The most irritating thing I have been experiencing over the last few days driving this car. I was just trying to compare my experience with the older car and never faced such a thing.
There was a thread on the forum discussing the clutch issue where viddy had posted about his experience.
Dad handed over the car to me saying that drive it around for a few days find the niggles and the rattles fix 'em up.

viddy has adding the FFE to the car changed the way the car behaves in slow moving traffic ? Does the clutch still judder ?
You still owe us a review on the FFE driving experience.

netfreakbombay

Quote:
Other then that, there was a "Kat Kat Kat" kind of sound if I turned steering to completely right.
Just had a feel of this kat kat thingy this morning. Aye I have a long weekend and looks like am gonna be at RNS chewing brains. Hallelujah !!
Old 7th April 2009, 20:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Riju, still running on the same clutch. Got it checked up at 2 MASS and both said clutch is fine. It judders in the morning though. There's no slipping whatsoever once warm.

My clutch was changed under warranty at 3000kms and now the odo shows 27K kms.

Rattles are usual.

The FFE is very good and the engine is very free revving. Slow moving traffic is an absolute pain. I think the FFE kicks in at 2000-2500rpm as I feel a distinct jerk. Before that you really need to slip the clutch. On highways it's fine but city roads is a pain.
Old 7th April 2009, 20:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My clutch was changed under warranty at 3000kms
This issue seems to be a bane for Alto. Have lots of "anecdotal" feedback on clutch failures during warranty.
Old 7th April 2009, 21:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think the FFE kicks in at 2000-2500rpm as I feel a distinct jerk. Before that you really need to slip the clutch.
That is something i really disliked having to do. Its unfair to compare it to my Ikon, but since its my daily drive inevitably comparisons do happen.

On the Ikon, gently releasing the clutch with no acceleration gets the car rolling, but not so on the Alto. I ended up stalling the car on 2-3 occassions since i am used to the former behavior.

Most Viewed