Team-BHP - NHC Feedback(?)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   NHC Feedback(?) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5647-nhc-feedback.html)

Today I came across a post about NHC in paliousers group on yahoo.

Quote:

"
honda city is one lousy vehicle, it is a very under powered car, i have
driven it, with the air con 'on' and 4 of us sitting in the car, it
could not climb a small slope. really struggled, then i felt a little bad,
cause the owner (my friend) was also sitting, so i switched off the air
con and then tried, with a little effort it climbed :-) this was the
slope of my house, my house must be around 4 - 5 ft below road level, i
found the ground clearance also too low (for a 3 box car) for indian
roads/car(speed) breakers. though people are still buying the honda city
because it gives an amazing mileage. the performance of the 1.6 is
excellent, i am a proud owner of a 1.6 fr the past 2 years, have done about
27k on the odo without any probs.......... it's a better deal than the
city, only one thing is the city will give a better mileage than the
1.6 palio.........

"

Unquote.

(http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/14933)

I wonder NHC is such a poor show? Anybody has gone through similar experiences?

By the way I am considering NHC.

SMG

after all that -ve stuff about the NHC why are you still considering to buy the car......it wont even climb the slope of your house lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrikar
after all that -ve stuff about the NHC why are you still considering to buy the car......it wont even climb the slope of your house lol:

I just can't knock down a car by reading a single isolated -ve feedback and/or after a brief test ride (during which one can't check and verify each and every aspect (and drawbacks) of a car).

That's why I wanted to know whether somebody else also experienced the same.

I don’t care about looks and to some extent FE but certainly will pay more attention to ride quality, safety , performance and also the long term ownership aspects.

I know what I want and It is only after collecting such data , I can have a tailor made (read: more focused) test ride to verify these facts myself.

I am buying a car and not a pair of jeans.

SMG

Hey SMG.....I don't own one, but have ridden my cousin's NHC a couple of times. I don't feel its so underpowered as mentioned in that guy's review. Have just driven it on normal roads so don't know much about its capabilities in terms of climbing.....overall its a good car....reliable, Fuel efficient & good looking (my view) and is backed by excellent service from Honda.

Cheers!!!

it becomes highly underpowered when u drive it after experiencing the awesome power of the Fiat 1.6L otherwise 77bhp is quite ok.but cant say wether it can climb a steep slope.

Hey SMG the NHC may not be comparable to the OHC but I am sure it is a really competitive vehicle. It not being able to climb a slope could be due to hosts of reasons Example:

- Adherence to Service schedule.
- The car was on full load of passenger capacity but no mention of the luggage.
- Different driving styles of the user and the owner.
- Car not running at normal engine temperature but starting off just after a cold start.
etc etc.

So the best way is to actually test drive vehicles that you are keen on to decide which one is for you.

Thanks.

Though I believe that NHC is not designed as an off-road adventure vehicle still it should not give up so easily (as that post suggests) while carrying 5 passengers and some luggage.

SMG

I own 3 NHC... dont use any of them personally....2 are for my factory executives and one's at home......the one at home is the CVT...being an automatic it should feel even more underpowered compared to the manual but for city driving it has more than enuf power.... yes its obviously not for a racer boy...thats why i dont use it everyday for my driving...but when i am going to a place whr there is more traffic i pick this car out of all the others.
And this thing that he mentioned about it not being able to climb a slope with the ac on is rubbish imo.....i have had no such problem ever... the car drives really well ...and its a 1500cc engine there is no reason why it wouldnt climb a 5 feet slope....its not like a maruti 1000 which u needed to do tricks like switch off the ac...those days r long gone........this guy probably had 4 adnan sami sized ppl with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil
I one at home is the CVT...being an automatic it should feel even more underpowered compared to the manual

Hey Sahil
Just wondering what's the FE you are getting on the CVT. We're considering this car but not sure about CVT technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil
........this guy probably had 4 adnan sami sized ppl with him.

lol: Thas was a good one, Sahil.....

Seriously SMG....that review is from a biased Palio owner, don't think its got any truth in it.

Cheers!!!

I get about 9-10 in the city with the AC on all the time....which is great for automatic considering that my accord automatic gives 6. The CVT is great specially in traffic its a boon... effortless driving.....and the engine is very peppy to squeeze into the gaps. Though my manual one gives an average of around 11 or so... for a diff of 2kmpl the CVT is so much more relaxing to drive. Go for it i am sure you wont regret it, best option for an automatic in that price bracket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8guzzler

Seriously SMG....that review is from a biased Palio owner, don't think its got any truth in it.

Yes, I also think the same.

Well where can I find 4 Adnan Sami sized people for my proposed test ride of NHC ? (Just kidding) .

hey man.... y is that dibelief in the palio man....... palio is a gud car..... you cannot cuss a car just because the after sales service is poor ( or u have heard more cases of that, than satisfied ones)....

what would you say about the safety side on d palio.... i myself rammed a 1.6 into a truck at a speed of 145...... and trust me.. i came out without a scratch.... had it been NHC, i would probably have died!!.......and d damage to the car was a lil dented on d bumpre, the headlights were gone and a radiator fan was dead.... that' it... and the guy ( who owns that car) tells me that his car was fixed in two days......and that too.. not even a single penny paid for the parts..... the dealer had a clever fix up with the insurance chaps.........

so please.... please: treat OHC, NHC and palio independently...
indian market is known to sell the bekar ( read useless) cars more than the good ones ( there are so many examples of good cars sleeping off to death in showrooms while the useless ones sell like hot cake)...

and another update ( times of india) says...

honda putting 950 crs in capacity expansion and new line up......
NHC is gettin a revamp this year... and a overhaul in comin two years or so.....

another car is going to be launched next year.. could be civic.....

I have not driven NHC, but from whatever I have read about it, it is a perfect City car and meant for City driving. As far as comparison between OHC, NHC and Palio/Petra is concerned, they are totally different cars. OHC/Fiats are more suitable for highways, while NHC is more for City driving. Though I am a fiat owner, I would still rate NHC high for its practicality in City. It has good low end torque, which means it should be able to climb slopes well enough. NHC has decent 0-100 figures as well. To me, original quote seems to be biased view of a Fiat owner.

@SMG, you need to clearly define what you need in your car and then make a choice based on that.

P.S.: As a rule of thumb, any forum will contain lot of biased individual opinions and it would require skill and patience to filter out proper information :p