View Poll Results: Car or the Engine?
Great Car but underpowered engine 46 38.33%
Great Engine but not a deserving car 74 61.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 11:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Engine all the way!

As others have said, it is the heart of the car. Everything else can be made to work around it.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Have we Indians ever got the best engines for any car sold here?
Old 13th April 2009, 11:37   #33
BHPian

If the car is is driven only by me then it has to be the engine for me please then comes handling and the looks .

Last edited by chetan : 13th April 2009 at 11:40.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Matching-matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Have we Indians ever got the best engines for any car sold here?
A few come to mind. Additions/Criticisms welcome:

1) Fiat Palio 1.6GTX. It was a powerhouse engine in a capable car. Thanks to Indian "mileage" sentiments, never sold well.

2) The 1.3 Ltr (carburetted, 65BHP) engine in the Esteem. Today, it is easy to criticize the Esteem, as the body and chassis are clearly not capable of handling the 84BHP MPFI engine. But remember, when it was launched, both the Engine and the car were technologically quite advanced for its day and age. The all-aluminium engine was powerful, yet frugal. The car was light and easy to handle.

3) The Skoda Octavia RS (with the 1.8ltr, turbo 150BHP engine). Even the base Audi TT used the same engine back then, although de-restricted. No doubts about the capability of the car or the chassis either.
Old 14th April 2009, 13:02   #35
BHPian

It has to be engine. I feel resale value is given for a car with good engine and not car with good styling or features. The perfect combination for me will be Hyundai I 20 features with GETZ CRDI engine.

Hyundai people are you listening!
Old 14th April 2009, 14:14   #36

It has to be the engine that is important!!! a recent example would be the failure of indigo XL grand and classisc Dicor. The engine assembly had so many problems even though people raved about the space and luxury in the car they were never happy with the engine and the sales never picked up once people started reporting engine related issues!!
Old 14th April 2009, 14:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Is this a trick question or what?

I was tempted to choose engine over car. But, then engine is useless without able handling (It's not for no reason that Fiesta S took crown of driver's car despite not having the most powerful engine).

Sorry, I am out of this poll
Old 15th April 2009, 08:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes,that is a really trick poll and I too will avoid it for good.

As for me am in love with my baleno's engine,its such a sweet unit but that doesn't mean rest of the car is a waste.Its a good handler,was a great VFM deal when i bought it,has good ride,is comfortable enough and yes its not very heavy on the pocket as well.So its my car which i really love,as a whole,not just the engine or suspension or other areas.And i guess most of us would feel the same for our cars.Just having great features but a slouch for an engine doesnt make the car good overall and just having a great engine with everything else out of junkyard too does not make the car good overall.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:37   #39
BHPian

When i saw this poll, Fiat Linea comes to my mind firstly. It is a great car with under powered engine. Also, Fiesta TDCi comes second. It is a great engine for a small car, not for a sedan.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Can't choose, im equally satisfied with both aspects on my car.

Shan2nu
Old 15th April 2009, 12:54   #41

Most people on this forum will select option 2 as i did, but the fact remains that the average Indian will always go for the Car rather than the engine.

An interesting example can be seen from the Swift DDIS, Palio MJ and the Indica Vista MJ. All have the same engine but we all know which sells the most !
Old 15th April 2009, 14:18   #42
BHPian

As a man, yes I love the engine, but as a practical person, i have to go for a decent car (if your daily driving in City, as well as highway)

In city: engine is not that important, & on highway, reliability is any day better than a horsey engine.

But IMO its a pity, that we Indian customers have to choose between them. Why we are not given the perfect combination's???
Old 15th April 2009, 14:44   #43
BHPian

Love my car for the great leather iteriors, automatic climate control, safety features etc. That brings a smile to my face everytime I sit in the car

Buuutttt I love the engine more. Thats what brings a wicked smile to my face everytime I drive
In the final analysis, for me, my car and its engine are a completely satisfying package.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 15th April 2009 at 14:46.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:37   #44
BHPian

I'm surprised the baleno isn't part of that list, guess you were just giving examples. The 2nd option for me; A car should always have the necessary amount of power when you need it
Old 16th April 2009, 17:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

I went with option 1. How many times can we actually use the full potential of those powerful engines in bumper to bumper traffic?

IMO, it has to be a complete package to enjoy the car to the hilt.

A great car with a not so great engine will not be a driver's performance car, but other parameters such as reliability and comfort score. Easy to drive and easy to navigate in city traffic is a boon.

On the other hand, a great engine in a not so great car is practially useless. You cant exploit the full potential of that engine knowing that it's got crappy tires, crappy brakes, lousy handling and under average driver seat experience... this is a wasteful investment IMHO. Therefore I'd rather have a decent and sedate engine in a car which handles well, corners well and brakes effectively and efficiently. Plus, with a few mod's to the engine, a grin or two can be flashed at those rare times when you are able to floor her.

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th April 2009 at 17:55.

Most Viewed