Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 13:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Towing Service: Is this how our cars are towed?

I was just walking to a place near my house, and I found a car being towed. I took some photos. Let them speak for themselves. I have only one word to say. ABYSMAL! Just look at the way the car has been towed.
Nowadays no one can expect any sort of good work from this department. They are money hungry rascals who only work for money. JUST look at the flex on the poor bumper!
The shameless buggers didn't even object to me taking photos. I guess the 'chalta hai' attitude again. Miffs me to no end.
Photos!

MODS: tried using the search function but to no avail. Please move this thread to where it's supposed to sit.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Towing Service: Is this how our cars are towed?-090411_164333-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Mumbai Towing Service: Is this how our cars are towed?-090411_164345-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Mumbai Towing Service: Is this how our cars are towed?-090411_164356-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 12th April 2009 at 13:45.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2009, 14:07   #2
BHPian

Thats Real Bad. These people care a damn for the cars. I have seen cars being towed away, with their handbrakes applied and the rear tires screaming at their level best.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Send these pictures to the media - I guess it's high time these rascals learn how to respect other people's properties

Damn man - look at that bumper, it will never go back to it's original shape after this treatment.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:09   #4
BANNED

this is what happens when you put buffalo herders in a tow truck. jackasses.
the pictures remind me of a buffalo with a rope running through its snout.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Team Bhp is the only channel where the truth is out in the open. The media is always either trying to make sensations or is too scared or too bored to print actually useful stuff. For the indian media, amitabh and aishwarya rai hold more importance then the recent mission to the moon. So a towed swift with a torn bumper doesnt cut it with them.

EDIT: If SOMEONE can post/PM one email address of one reporter who they have actually had a good experience with, and who actually prints meaningful stuff and encourages readers to send in such stuff, I shall fire an email to him/her instantly.

Last edited by frankmehta : 12th April 2009 at 14:15.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:18   #6
BANNED

Well this is much better compared to this in Delhi .
Poor Citizens of India .

The perfect way destryoing a car bumper.

And not only this i once had my car towed away from a legal parking area and the rear bumper was completely broken .Upon argument the towing contractor guys and the traffic police guys threatened and ran after me to hit me .God know what .But somehow i escaped .i then called 100 number for police and decided to lodge a FIR .On the contrary the Inspector at the police station told me to go home and said these small damages do happen.When i said the small damage was worth 1200 Rs atleast .He said so should we pay you that .Now go or we will arrest you for obstructing duty of a public servant (The traffic police and delhi police).And all this happened in Nehru Place commercial centre in view of 100's of people .Only i know how bad i felt to be an Indian and paying taxes for such disgusting services.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2009, 14:36   #7
BHPian

With so many car shows running on the news channels i think we might be in luck for this not to get noticed by the media. I guess Zee and NDTV both have a running car shows. If anybody has contacts then this would definitely get noticed.

And as per the car in the picture. The bumper is ruined.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:55   #8
BHPian

frankmehta,

Print Media will not help. I speak from experience. I was sold a submerged Bullet in November 2005, post my doscovery I ran from pillar to post, not a single person was willing to print the article for the simple reason nobody wanted to risk ad revenue.

Post the Skoda incident on the forum, I think we shouls all T-BHP forum create more awareness within local population may be that will get somebody's attention.

Cheers!

Shiva
Old 12th April 2009, 15:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Well this is much better compared to this in Delhi .

And not only this i once had my car towed away from a legal parking area and the rear bumper was completely broken .Upon argument the towing contractor guys and the traffic police guys threatened and ran after me to hit me .God know what .But somehow i escaped .i then called 100 number for police and decided to lodge a FIR .On the contrary the Inspector at the police station told me to go home and said these small damages do happen.When i said the small damage was worth 1200 Rs atleast .He said so should we pay you that .Now go or we will arrest you for obstructing duty of a public servant (The traffic police and delhi police).And all this happened in Nehru Place commercial centre in view of 100's of people .Only i know how bad i felt to be an Indian and paying taxes for such disgusting services.

that story just says it all. its a bane to live in a country where illiteracy, callousness and utter disdain for other people's property is rampant. I would love to bring this to the notice of a few tv channels and newspapers guys. the skoda incident just highlights what the media can do. We should turn the attention of the public towards this. It will be 2 pronged. People will start getting scared and will not park haphazardly. And the main purpose will be to spark a reunion.
Someone also tell me, that if the owner approaches the towing vehicle, AFTER the car is up on the hook , what is the protocol? Shouldnt one just pay the fine for parking wrong and collect the car off the hook on the spot?? I was once made to follow my car by cab and made to pay BOTH, parking fine as well as towing van charges. Isn't that wrong?

Last edited by frankmehta : 12th April 2009 at 15:02.
Old 12th April 2009, 15:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

You can't do anything about it. So live with it man.

Yeah, my heart cringes at seeing that image (have seen an altercation EXACTLY as Trust Thrust has written) - in which case it was a woman who broke down into tears on seeing what they were doing to her car's front bumper. Chandni chowk photography market it was.

Au contraire, seeing the woman in total tears, several "bhais" emerged on the spot, and the guardians of the law also turned to her side - the contractor got a bunch of slaps and the lady didn't have to pay a fine.

PS: I was there to pick up my bike which was towed. I had to ride on the contractor's truck to the designated delivery point ensuring my bike got no scratches.
Old 12th April 2009, 15:52   #11
BHPian

This is horrible, and I am sure no point arguing with the tow guys or police on the damage caused.
But first thing first, why park in a non-parking area and invite trouble?
Old 12th April 2009, 16:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

A few days I saw the following scene at the Vashi railway station opposite Raghuleela Mall.

A towing van comes. A Honda City is parked wrongly but the car is easy to access. Towing van would have to just back up to the car and tow it away. They skip it. Drive to a Orange Palio thats also parked in a no parking zone. They back up 90 degrees with one person directing the driver who has to make a couple of manuvoures to get into the correct position. All this while the traffic constable gets down and chats with a biker whose bike they had just picked up so he knew exactly what was happening. The Palio was then towed away. Why did they decide to tow the Palio that was more difficult and cumbersome to access and leave the Honda? Well, the City had a MNS flag on it's bonnet.

Am I reading too much into this? Maybe. But if I was the guy doing the towing, I would pick the Honda simply because it was such an easy pick and our government employee's aren't known for hard work either. I think I realised correctly why the Honda was left.

Last edited by amit : 12th April 2009 at 16:04.
Old 12th April 2009, 16:06   #13
BHPian

There is no one to check up on them, so they vent out their poor man frustration on the cars and bikes.

No point in even talking about it, since "it was there before they towed the vehicle".

Why don't people frickin double check where they park is what I want to know.
Old 12th April 2009, 18:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
This is horrible, and I am sure no point arguing with the tow guys or police on the damage caused.
But first thing first, why park in a non-parking area and invite trouble?
Let me tell you, those first-class a-holes who run the tow trucks and their snivelling, conniving traffic police counterparts don't care where your vehicle is parked. The only place they'll leave it alone is in an "authorised" parking lot where you pay for the privilege of having parking attendants reverse your car into another one.

My car has been towed away from a perfectly safe place. When I argued with them that there was NO no-parking board anywhere in sight, they told me, "You can only park where there is a parking sign displayed. No parking on any road unless there's a P sign there." What utter nonsense. These are people who are charged with upholding laws they're ignorant of.

(They also told me that nothing would have happened to my handbrake despite the car being towed with the rear wheels on the ground. Ignorant buffoons.)

Now I'm a lawyer (albeit a young one) and I have seen Delhi traffic police rules that clearly state that parking is allowed in all places except where specifically prohibited (either by signs or by yellow lines on the side of the road), or where it would disrupt the flow of traffic. (That's followed by stipulations such as the vehicle must be no further than 3 feet from the side of the kerb, etc.)

But there's nothing to be done. Fighting the case in traffic court would cost more time than the 400-rupee fine.

And of course, god forbid the tow truck ever tow away a car that has actually been parked in a manner that disrupts traffic. That's not allowed. Only properly-parked cars may be towed away. If someone has parked illegally, his car must be left there to cause jams.

What a country. Bah.

Last edited by Perakath : 12th April 2009 at 18:32.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:01   #15
BANNED

Well as for the someone here recently said we are allowed to park only at parking lots or at a sign which says P.Even the Delhi Traffic Police says so;

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks