Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2005, 16:31   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
Thats when you start the car in the mornings or when the engine is cold.....But I have faced this auto revving of the car all of a sudden in the middle of traffic while on the move and at a traffic signal when standing still. The car would just rev to 2500rpm come down to 1500rpm and go back and forth for a few times and then just come down to idle at normal rpm.

I think its got something to do with the chip in the car and its not a problem with the engine. I didnt bother about it coz it a rare happening.
i have solved such a problem.just go and clean the gumming deposits on the valves and the injectors,it will most probably solve ur problem.it happens if one uses inferior quality petrol and secondly it will never show up on the checking machine at Fiat workshops.just try using 93 0r 94 octane petrol and add a bottle of injector cleaner when u tank up.
Old 1st July 2005, 16:36   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Hi Guys. Carefully read through everything. Maybe, just maybe, I should stop trying to decide between the Swift (already booked) and the Baleno and just go down to Calcutta and pick myself a Petra 1.6 Just 2 concerns- How do I get the car serviced in Sikkim or North Bengal- Siliguri? Secondly, I'll be about 2 Lacks short. Will the SBi finance a car bought in another city?

For Pure, unadulturated driving pleasure and power in the Highways, narrow b grade roads and steep hills, Should i really go in for the Petra instead of the Baleno/ Swift?
If you're going to stretch yourself by about 2 lakhs over your budget, I'd suggest that you stick to a product that can be locally serviced and one whose spares are easily available.

Stick to the Maruti products, or those of other companies that are well represented in your area.

Simple logic says that spares of cars that are popular are more easily available. You live in a remote-ish area and I wouldnt recommend a Fiat when everyone knows there are issues with the service, besides other issues that are glossed over. We have different posts from people who have had the odd rattle, suspension knocks, injector and fuel pump issues on new Fiats - you dont want to drive down to Calcutta every other month for these issues.

There will be a swarm of protests that follow this posting that I will not bother replying to, and I would suggest that you make a considered decision after separating the chaff from the grain.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st July 2005 at 16:38.
Old 1st July 2005, 16:40   #123
BHPian

hey Puff, while the petra is great for bad roads, i have no clue of how the service set up is in your part of the country. availability of spares might be another issue. someone had mentioned earlier in this thread he had to wait 8 days to get spares after an accident, that too in mumbai, the fiat hub!!!

so if you dont want to lose out on "# of days driven" you may want to rethink...
Old 1st July 2005, 16:42   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
There will be a swarm of protests that follow this posting that I will not bother replying to, and I would suggest that you make a considered decision after separating the chaff from the grain.
LOL@steer

Dragon, I too think that a Maruti will serve you better. But I do not know how the service will be for the Baleno (a top end variant) and the Swift in Sikkim. You could also try out the Tata products. All the best and keep us posted on your buy.
Old 1st July 2005, 16:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
You couldn't resist it, could you?
@puff, as others wrote earlier, make sure that service backup is available for your car, whichever you eventually buy. Odds are in favour of Maruti on ASS front.
Old 1st July 2005, 16:49   #126
Senior - BHPian

Dragon,

I'd say stick to some manufacturer who has a good service backup in Sikkim. Honestly, I do not know about Fiat's representation in the eastern part. West looks well represented and South to an extent is represented fine.

I'd say you better look at products from Maruti or Hyundai or Tata as they might have good service representation at your place.

Not all Fiats give problems. I am running my Palio since 1.5 years without a single issue till now (touchwood). But incase you end up in any problem, you might be in for a major trouble with very little dealer backup at your place. Also, you might have to travel a lot just for your regular services. So, stick to one of those manufacturers who have dealer backup there.
Old 1st July 2005, 19:29   #127

Most Essential Accessories ?

What would be most essential accessories for Petra 1.6 EL ?

I was planning on getting fog lights fitted into the front bumper, its sad that there is no ready provision for it, and when the service center guy said that he'll have to cut that much section of the bumper and then fit fog lights I said NO, is there any alternative ?
Old 1st July 2005, 19:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

What accessories do you have already?
Old 1st July 2005, 23:19   #129
BHPian

New Petra ELX vs Adventyre Sports vs Baleno vs Marina LX

BHP Team,

I am looking for your guidance -

First of the block I looked at Ikon, Accent, Baleno and finalised on Baleno considering overall good driveblity of Baleno..straight torque curve as u guys call it ! Ikon just as good low end torque, Accent is just average in all departments and on top of it both cars do not give buit to last feeling. Corsa out....coz its bit cramped from inside.

Then I had a look at Marina, considering value for money offering from TATA - more to find out what it is, considering it looked decent from outside on top if economy of diesal. Loved the car esp. BS III with 70 BHP and improved interiors though they are not refined as u would expect.

Tried petra too but the moment I saw Adventure sports, I really loved it.

So the main question is

I would love to buy Fiat car - essentially for solid buid and good handling on bad roads however I am not too sure abt A.S.S. resale is not a issue for me, is it really bad as ppl. make it out to be - i have no first hand experience. I visited Anroop motors and only thing I noticed was lack of customers here in Hyderabad.

I am getting 20 K discount on petra both EL and ELX 1.6 bring the price to 5.5 for EL and 5.8 for ELX on road.

Adveture Sport 1.6 is 6.4 on road.

Baleno LXI is comming to 5.88 on road

Marina LX is 6 on road.

I would love to own Fiat..esp adventure sports or fully loaded Petra ELX but is it worth with their A.S.S., wat if I have to move from Hyderabad to Delhi or Chennai, how is support there? Considering that Fiat is seemingly trying to back in scene with new launches, new MD and recently increasing their holding in Fiat india.

Or should I stick with baleno - negative points - flimsy body, poor crash record, pricy spares.

or Trusted VFM Marina - or is it really a VFM?

Your views pls.

Vivek
Old 2nd July 2005, 14:56   #130
Senior - BHPian

I would love to suggest the Petra or the Adventure. These are my favorites. I am in Mumbai and I feel Mumbaio and Pune customers do not have problems with service in general. Besides Fiat seems to be in improvement mode.

However, if you want total peace of mind, stick to the Baleno. The Tatas are good, IMHO, as long as you are going for the diesels, refinement levels notwithstanding. So yes, the Marina might make sense. Drive all of them (once again if you have to) and make your decision.
Old 4th July 2005, 11:26   #131

Hi vivek,

Between the two estate car, Adventure sport & Marina , I will vote for Adventure.
If you are want a car for space and a some fuel efficiancy, go for marina but then at the same time you are sacrificing handling (which also include refined gear box and engine reliabilty) and stability at higher speeds, performance and solid build which marina lacks. At higher speed marina feels underpowered [ no wonder as it is built on indica platform only].
If you have a very good reason like some offroading driving, like of highspeed cruising along with vehicle stabilty , performance and hadling then go for Adventure (as the name suggest, it actually stand for that.) And you will also get nice ride on bad indian roads[specially in rains]. And all this at slightly more price . [In pune, price for marina (diesel) = 5.65 lacs and for Adventure sport (petrol) = 6.26 lacs.] But as all said that u will get less fuel efficiency and probably doubtfully good ASS (this depends on dealer)

so I think Adventure is a good deal. [and not simply beacuse I have also booked a Adventure sport this month.]

enjoy,
hemant
Old 4th July 2005, 11:40   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi there,

both cars are good and competitive.

First choice- tata Indig marina(just because it is MADE IN INDIA)

pros- Indian excellence at display,built to last, Indi-XX platform is a tried and trusted and proven platform, good FE,cheap,tata service available anywhere

cons- engine refinement poor, looks not great.

second choice - Fiat adventure

pros - A178 platform is also tried and trusted and prove in India, power , ride and handling, looks,built to last

cons - fiat service(improving now), due for a change(depends on fiat though),FE suffers

match your needs to the pros and cons and decide which is good for you.

cheers
Old 4th July 2005, 15:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
manishk13

any information offered on the Adventure?

I am really waiting to get my hands on the Adventure. when..oh...when ?
Adventure sports is available at 5.6 ex showroom in Hyderabad and not Discounts at all. I loved the macho looks of the car, it has everything other then music systems.

Its a pleasure to drive, feels rock solid even on bad roads.

I have only one word to describe it "wow", only catch word is Fiat ASS
Old 4th July 2005, 15:45   #134

as of now I hav'nt added anything more than what came along with the car, but the following are on the cards :
<1> Fog lamps
<2> Security System
<3> Parking assistance system
Old 4th July 2005, 15:58   #135
BHPian

Fiat India in gear-up mode

Team BHP

It seems that Fiat is finally trying to get back in shape, I spoke to their regional manger - south. He sounded upbeat and outlined that they are working out the process for warranty claims that have been a problem earlier.

1. It seems by August - extended warranty is likely to be available.

2. In cpl of months tie-up with some indian major is going to be announced. Moreover that would mean additional support centers.

Considering this Petra/Adventure sports is a "HOT BUY" at their present prices.

Your views

Vivek
Closed Thread

Most Viewed