Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2005, 15:07   #1
BANNED

Fiat Petra - New Models & Prices !

Hi all
I went to Sundaram motors yesterday to check out Petra expecting just petrol model. They have launched 4 models 10 days back with hiked prices. The models are 1.2 EL, ELX, 1.6 EL & ELX. 1.6 ELX. Old model was Euro II and is being phased out, new model is Euro III. ELX 1.6 is fully loaded, quoted at 5.39L ex-showroom and 6.2 L on the road. Additional stuff compared to last model are:
- Euro III
- Rear spoiler
- Alloy wheels
- Electric operated side mirrors
- Wooden finish dash board
- Tilt steering
- Power windows, central lock, defogger (existed earlier too)
- Body colored handles and mirrors
- Side black stripe
- Leather steering and knob
- Headrest for back seats
Would knowledgable people please comment if this new model is worth at the price mentioned above? Probably they will give 10,000 cash discount

Thanks
Manish
Old 20th May 2005, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

6.2 L on road puts it in the sme category as the Baleno LXi. But I still think it is worth it as it definitely gives more than its Maruti couterpart. But you seem to have missed out the music system.

Actually - It seems yummy for the price. Just haggle a bit more on the discount, if you are interested in the car that is. Hmmm ... nice.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 20th May 2005 at 15:23.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

It was cheaper than that, and that made it a very good proposition then. Not so sure I'd pick one over the Baleno now that they're about the same price, even though it has loads of equipment. Not with Fiat's service quality and the mileage of the Petra.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
the mileage of the Petra.
I think you have spoken too soon and too rash. I get 10+ in city 100% AC, blower 25% and 15 on the highway. Want to beat that? Along with the price I got the car for?
Old 20th May 2005, 15:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not with Fiat's service quality and the mileage of the Petra.
Some Petra owners claim average of 9-10 in City with a/c, same as Baleno. Service quality depends on your dealer and not company. Company future, in India and abroad, is in doldrums though. There have been lot of debates over Petra vs. Baleno, so don't want to start anther one here.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Still no ABS, EBD and air bags, even as options. So much for the new model. What kind of tyres?

Well, new Petra variants have been launched, and nobody knows about it. No website, no commericals on TV or newspapers.Shhh... I guess Fiat doesn't want anybody to know about it without visiting a Fiat dealer. Hush, hush.

I was hoping to buy a Petra for a long time and then ended up buying the Baleno. Now I am very happy, Baleno is a great machine, and I actually get great service support from the dealer.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I was speaking from what I had heard from a few other people, but I trust you people, If you say the mileage is so good, then it must be.

Sorry for being a bit fast and rash.

I almost set off an argument bomb!!!!! Phew!
Old 20th May 2005, 15:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Still no ABS, EBD and air bags, even as options. So much for the new model. What kind of tyres?
I think they will be the stock 14 inchers. BTW, did you get ABS, EBD and air bags as options on the Baleno? Just asking. And any news on the Euro III Baleno. Baleno was my first choice till the Petra floored me. Guess it was the other way round for you.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I almost set off an argument bomb!!!!! Phew!
You had to do this, isn't it? Alright! I was just kidding. Peace!
Old 20th May 2005, 15:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
BTW, did you get ABS, EBD and air bags as options on the Baleno? Just asking.
When they raised the price by Rs.1.2L and offering new trims, one has to ask why.

Quote:
And any news on the Euro III Baleno.
I am driving one.

Quote:
Baleno was my first choice till the Petra floored me. Guess it was the other way round for you.
Yes, it was.
Old 20th May 2005, 16:04   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I remember someone mentioning that the previous Petra was 5.4 or 5.5 on the road in Pune. So its an extra 70,000 - 80,000 for what?

Quote:
- Euro III
- Rear spoiler
- Alloy wheels
- Electric operated side mirrors
- Wooden finish dash board
- Tilt steering
- Power windows, central lock, defogger (existed earlier too)
- Body colored handles and mirrors
- Side black stripe
- Leather steering and knob
- Headrest for back seats
Not worth the price difference. Rather stick with the decently equipped base and choose alloys etc yourself.

What I really want to know is the price of the 1.2 version. Could possibly be the cheapest sedan in India, or on par with the Indigo in pricing.

GTO
Old 20th May 2005, 16:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

For EL model, ex-showroom price was 5,07,000 and on-road price 5,53,000 in Pune. If the price is hiked by 32,000 making it 5.39L, on-road price should 5.85L approx. So, this is somewhat confusing for me, unless 6.2L is for company registration or figure of 5.39L is incorrect.

If the price hike is around 40,000, I would say it is an even better deal. But, if it really is 6.2L, then I would opt for base (EL) model.
Old 20th May 2005, 16:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

It is onroad price at Bangalore. Bangalore and Mumbai are the costliest with poor souls in these cities being taxed for anything and everything.
Old 20th May 2005, 16:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
When they raised the price by Rs.1.2L and offering new trims, one has to ask why.
Hey! I was just asking. And besides I do not think the raise in price is going to be 1.2L anyway. I think it would be in the range of 70-80 K. (refer RX's post). Which I think is decent as most car makers did raise their prices substantially post April.

One of the reasons I was put off by the Baleno was also the responsiveness of the sales team from Maruti. They never answered my queries in time. BTW, how much did the Euro III Baleno cost you?
Old 20th May 2005, 16:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
If the price hike is around 40,000, I would say it is an even better deal. But, if it really is 6.2L, then I would opt for base (EL) model.
I too got confused for a while until I noticed it was 6.2L on road and that too in Bangalore.

In Karnataka we have life time road tax which is why the difference between ex-showroom and on road is big. Therefore, the jump is price for new ELX from old EL is 60K.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed