Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2005, 19:48   #1

Cars with similar number plates

I was walking down breach candy the other day, and i saw the most beautiful site... a porsche carerra 911 S black one and a black Mercedes S 350L with the same number plates leaving the same building!!!! unbelievable... there was some guy driving a porsche... and he was driving it the way a porsche should be driven! fast!!! the noise from the car was unbelievable... does anyone have any idea who this guy was? someone who owns a 911 S and an S 350 L??? im not sure if this is the same guy.. but about i think in febuary i had a race with a silver C 220 CDi... same number plate again!!! but there was some younger kid driving the car that time... any ideas who these big shots are?
Old 21st May 2005, 20:21   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to Mumbai Topic moved to Indian Car Scene
Old 25th May 2005, 09:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Maybe the middle letter is different ie MH01 R 1234 - as underlined. A lot of people do not notice this.

There was a guy in Bangalore who had a Merc E class. He bought a Merc S CLass and did not register it. He used the plates of the E class to save 3 lakhs (after spending 50+ lakhs) - what a plonker! Sundram tipped of the police (I think they need to disclose cars that are unregistered on delivery) and when the car came in for a service they got nicked.
Old 25th May 2005, 11:18   #4
BHPian

Well sometimes its sort of becomes an identity. All our cars from 1982 onwards sport the same number - 4740. I can list out some 30 different combinations in it

In my home town too cars are always bought with the same number. Its pretty common that even vans and lorries carry the same number. But now that the RTO charges heftily for the numbers only the cars get the same number.

BTW my GTX has a different number so that no one would know whom it belongs to. Makes sense when i have to go on a drive with my girl when i was in college
Old 25th May 2005, 13:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Maybe the middle letter is different ie MH01 R 1234 - as underlined. A lot of people do not notice this.

There was a guy in Bangalore who had a Merc E class. He bought a Merc S CLass and did not register it. He used the plates of the E class to save 3 lakhs (after spending 50+ lakhs) - what a plonker! Sundram tipped of the police (I think they need to disclose cars that are unregistered on delivery) and when the car came in for a service they got nicked.

Well this is a true fact...
There was a car Registered MH-xx AA-12 which was a maruti esteem in pune and i have seen a red Merc SL500 old one have the same registration plate MH-xx AA-12 in mumbai ...
This as about 6 years back ... What say ???
Old 25th May 2005, 13:36   #6
BHPian

Speaking of similar number plates, have you guys ever seen a car with a registration number from two-wheeler series? For example, MH-04-BJ- is reserved only for two-wheelers. Yet, I happened to see a Silver Indigo with a number like MH-04-BJ-2000. If it is a paid or selected number, why isn't it in the car series? If not, is it a stolen car with an just an arbitrary number?

I have also noticed that vehicles registered in Rajasthan have really weird numbering schemes. Something like, RJ-14-CM-P7627. Similarly, Delhi numbers are like DL-2C-AB-1234. The fourth letter here is always C or S. Guess it stands for 'Car' or 'Scooter'. What's your take on this, guys?
Old 25th May 2005, 13:47   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think C or S in the Delhi registration stands for Car or Scooter.
Also there are some series which are used only for Govt/Police vehicles. Eg. MH - 04 - AN would not be used for a pvt vehicle. used only for a police vehicle (carrying a police official).
Old 25th May 2005, 17:35   #8
BHPian

On this subject.. Last year I had occasion to do the rounds of K'mangala (Bangalore) police station to renew my passport.. On the road there used to be a series of buses parked, belonging to some Mangalore operator.. I have seen upto 3 buses with exactly the same number plate, same series, same number. It lokked like some kind of scam to me. Each vehicle is supposed to have a separate RTO registration number..
Old 25th May 2005, 17:49   #9
BHPian

on this subject would some one be kind enough to explain what exactly do all the letters and numbers on a number plate stand for?
Old 25th May 2005, 17:56   #10
BHPian

In kerala it is very simple ..KL-(1-14) for 14 districts.Now three more new RTO's have been formed KL-16,KL-17,KL-18.KL-15 is reserved for kerala SRTC.the alphabetical naming convention which follows the KL-x is in ascending order.a-z.When that was over,aa-az..etc.now the max is in cochin which is KL-7-AW
Old 25th May 2005, 17:59   #11
BHPian

My friend's car is with the number KL-7-ADIOS..;-) .It is actually KL-7-AD-105.
Old 25th May 2005, 18:12   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
would some one be kind enough to explain what exactly do all the letters and numbers on a number plate stand for?
Take for instance MH - 04 - DD - 1234
In this case : MH is the State Code (Maharashtra)
04 is the city where the car has been registered (Thane)
DD is normally the year in which the car has been registered. It changes either every year or if all the numbers in this series have been used.
1234 is your registration code.

For more info on State/City Codes check this post Registration Number Identification
Old 26th May 2005, 04:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Take for instance MH - 04 - DD - 1234
In this case : MH is the State Code (Maharashtra)
04 is the city where the car has been registered (Thane)
DD is normally the year in which the car has been registered. It changes either every year or if all the numbers in this series have been used.
1234 is your registration code.

For more info on State/City Codes check this post Registration Number Identification
I had a few months back noticed a Santro (zipdrive) bearing the number MH01-M-XXXX. I am pretty sure about this and was taken by surprise because I too believed that the alphabets stand for the year of registration. Generally MH01-M-XXXX is 1992. And it was M and not MA for sure. Also have seen a lot of MH04-E's in white number plates, whereas they are tourist cars.
Old 26th May 2005, 05:17   #14
BHPian

u know what would have been cool..if india had adopted the US regulations on licsense plates: each state gets their own unique design and number length, and specialty plates (like making ur own message on the plate and what not). In the US u know when thecar is registered because the month is given as a sticker on the plate itself and the yearly registration is on another sticker. Cause the way india is doing it...i dont think it even follows the British system..

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 26th May 2005 at 05:20.
Old 26th May 2005, 08:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

I somehoe do not think a human can recognize more than 7 digits at a glance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks