Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2005, 13:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

well, guys, regarding the mahindra engine; the existing one on the scorpio (2.6 TDI) has been worked on by the avl- but like steeroid said, only the turbo and the head. the block is from their tractor line-up, which has been reworked by mahindra. and mico-bosch only supplied the reqd. fuel pump- they didn't have any hand in developing the engine. the scorpio came out with only one engine variant, even for the export market- the 2.6 TDI- the same engine was available as a naturally aspirated version, as an option.scorpio never used the 2.5 XDP. the 2.5 XDP powerplant, used in the bolero, now comes with a turbo, to meet stringent emission norms and power demands. but this variant is currently available only for the export market....

and as for the safari- this has been discussed in an earlier thread...... but here goes.....
the safari's 2.2 litre crd-i engine won't produce 115 bhp, as told by OD. if the safari is, in fact, powered by the 2.2 litre powerplant, then expect the power to be in the region of it's petrol variant; 130 bhp. that's because, the 2.2 crd-i engine has been designed in collaboration with delphi (only the fuel lines), and this engine was openly discussed by mr. ratan tata in the geneva motor show, where tata's indigenious mpv-suv crossover, the X-OVER, was displayed. this was the first time that tata took the wraps off it's 'secret' crd-i development programme. the engine that was showcased in geneva, powering the X-OVER, was a 2.2 crd-i; probably the one that's going to power the safari. but the specs showed 140 bhp, and 300 nm+ torque. and i believe, that if the safari is coming out with a 2.2 litre engine, then this is going to be the one.....

also, when OD gave it's report on the scoop of the safari crd-i, they said that they had to go flat out in their innova diesel to even catch up with the safari- and i doubt, that a 115 bhp, non-run-in engine could propel a 2 tonner to 150 kmph+ speeds, in "cruise" mode.

OD also said that the new safari seemed to have much more in reserve- which means that the new safari would have a top speed of at least 160-165 kmph- which means that it'll be more powerful than the 115 bhp, 154 kmph scorpio, which is lighter than the safari.

the new safari is going to be launched this year; the company themselves have stated so. market sources and internal company sources are speculating an august-sep. launch, which will be bang-on, because the fortuner will be brought in before december. but let's hope the fortuner is priced right- the innova, as it is, is already overpriced. let's pray that toyota intends to head-butt the endeavour or safari, and not the terracan, in terms of price....
Old 23rd May 2005, 23:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
International Tractor engine of the '70s, put into Mahindra jeeps when the petrol prices went up. This has been turned into a direct injection diesel and is used on the Commander/Major etc. The major change to this has been the shift to a 4 speed gearbox from a 3 speed.
The tractor engine w/ 3-spd you are refering to the Perkins engine, not the international engine. Perkins engine is made in Chennai by this company.......can't remember the name. Only other company to use a tractor engine in a car was Sipani.
Old 24th May 2005, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The tractor engine w/ 3-spd you are refering to the Perkins engine, not the international engine. Perkins engine is made in Chennai by this company.......can't remember the name. Only other company to use a tractor engine in a car was Sipani.
Funny, I thought I read that the 3-spd tractor engine was from International Tractors.

Perkins is (or was) made by Simpsons in Chennai. Same group as addisons, higginbothams, et al. They also made a Ford truck in India for a short period with their engines.

Sipani used a Mitsubishi tractor engine in their 'Montana' before switching over to one of the diesels (not Matador or BMC - its called Autosomething) used on the Amby for their D1. I know a guy in Cochin who still has a well maintained D1 - gives him over 20 to a litre, no rust and parts easily available (mix of old M800, new M800 and Mahindra jeep parts for the interiors).
Old 24th May 2005, 13:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

Perkins is (or was) made by Simpsons in Chennai. Same group as addisons, higginbothams, et al. They also made a Ford truck in India for a short period with their engines.

).
That truck was shortlived - kept shearing axles because off overloading. People used to go wow as it was the only truck with a cab. It was the forerunner to the Leyland Cargo (to cut a long story short - ford trucks were sold to FIat IVECO who partners hindujas in taking over ashok leyland) Remember a friend of mine bought one. His dad ripped out the drivers seat (too comfortable for the driver) and put it into the Standard 20 (yuk) - some attitude
Old 4th July 2005, 00:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

any more information on the crdi safari?
Old 4th July 2005, 01:14   #21
BHPian

[quote=Steeroid]OD speculates that the 2.2 litre mill churns out 115 PS, which is very much above what the 2.6 litre Mahindra (or should I say Peuguot) motor produces. QUOTE]

Hi Steeroid - The new scorpio cdre (aka CRDI) is already abt 115 BHP !
Old 4th July 2005, 11:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Whens it scheduled to release. any pictures available?
Old 4th July 2005, 12:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Steeroid - The new scorpio cdre (aka CRDI) is already abt 115 BHP !
i thought the name CRDi was for Hyundai common rail enignes only ... like mahindra is CRDe ... and mercs is CDI ...
Old 4th July 2005, 12:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

If I rememer correctly . It has to be crdx. though not sure about it.

But Then nissan also uses crdi for its x-trail.
Old 4th July 2005, 20:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Whens it scheduled to release. any pictures available?
I think it should come out pretty soon now.. Probably in the Aug-Sep time frame..
Old 5th July 2005, 01:45   #26
BHPian

Safari should be powered by something close to 130+ BHP considering the weight it carries, I am kind of curious abt pricing since going close to 11+ would make not too good a buy - there is always a tucson and Ford SUV...who would safari over them?
Old 5th July 2005, 02:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
Safari should be powered by something close to 130+ BHP considering the weight it carries,
even then safari will have a bhp/ton ratios of 63bhp per tonne,,19 bhp/tonnes more than the last of the safaris..
Old 5th July 2005, 02:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
even then safari will have a bhp/ton ratios of 63bhp per tonne,,19 bhp/tonnes more than the last of the safaris..
I wonder why they dont think in terms of a crash diet for the Safari (and other Tata cehicles as well). A well thought out weight loss program for the Tata vehicles will boost performance without having to increase output...

If the new Safari is about 30-35 bhp more PLUS a couple of hundred kilograms lighter, it would be a terrific vehicle.

Or is it a case of "We Also Make Steel" translating into "We Also Sell Steel" ?
Old 5th July 2005, 12:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

I believe the new car will also have less weight at the same time with the new powerplant and new design. I think so because tata is aware of the problems safari has been facing for a long time and this new version of safari has been long in the making.
Old 5th July 2005, 12:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I believe the new car will also have less weight at the same time with the new powerplant and new design. I think so because tata is aware of the problems safari has been facing for a long time and this new version of safari has been long in the making.
I agree with devarshi there.. The new Safari looks the same as the Sierra and other 207 models.. I had posted a pic some time back, i can't seem to find the link.. Its on the inside that the safari packs quite a few luxuries.. There was a review of the new tata safari on one of the magazines 2-3 months back.. (I can't remember the name too..) where they mentioned that those blokes had to go flat out on their innova to keep upto speed with the new Safari. I had obtained the pics from the same link..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks