Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 13:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hmm so it has been launched ahead of the Ritz.

I believe some reports did confirm that just like Hyundai has said bye bye to its old 1.3 engine Swift would also get this engine.

Here is a quick comparo of the new & old engine

Heads up: Suzuki's new K12-M engine launched-mul.jpg
Old 16th April 2009, 14:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Beautiful, just under the 1.2L mark for tax benefits. Should we expect this engine in the Swift as well?
As such, the Swift P's are not in demand compared to the D's, plonking the 1.2L would mean lower cost to the consumer and probably better demand... it would pit the Swift directly to current i20!

MUL give us the Swift 1.6L Sport please!!!
Old 16th April 2009, 17:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

They had a similar engine launch thingy for the k10 before the Astar came out.

Should help bring the price down on the Swift once it launches.
Versa and Gypsy are the other recipents of the 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Its confusing! What does it all mean when they say an Engine is being launched?
It means the Ritz is round the corner.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next question : Is this the end of the Gypsy King then? The 1.3L doesn't meet BS V norms and a 1.2L will be so horribly out of place in a 4x4.
All future Gypsys will be known as Gypsy Dw1800. Dw for Dwarka.

HM supplies the 1800ISZ engine to consumers too.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean, that finally Maruti would decide to offer the 1.3DDIS engine for the GYPSY and no petrol option ??
Old 16th April 2009, 18:30   #21
BHPian

I hope maruti launches 2 versions of Petrol Swift -

1.2 (New engine)
1.5 (same as sx4)

Let the customer decide what he wants to pay for.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Isn't that the M series engine, but I dont know if it can be mounted on the Gypsy without some re-engineering on the monocoque, it is likely that the mounting points are different.
Huh? Monocoque? The Gypsy is a body on frame chassis model.

The 1.2L will most probably give the Swift a pricing advantage ( although it doesn't need one to annihilate the competition ) by a 4% excise discount which should be somewhere around 15,000!

The G13B's days are numbered.
Old 17th April 2009, 03:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

The G13B's days are numbered.[/quote]

Now, this is something I won't be exactly happy about, considering the engine did duty on both esteem and gypsy king,which are excellent machines. However, swift may get the 1.2 so as to meet the future emissions and the duty-cut, but will they plonk it in the dezire petrol as well? Considering that it wont call for a duty-cut and on top of it a 1.2 litre sedan surely seems a bit off the mark in present market scenario even though the power diference is just 3bhp/4ps approx. The last 1.2 litre sedan I remember was the Fiat Sienna/Petra. And I will surely miss the way the old 1.3 litre used to rev if at all it gets replaced in swift/dezire.

Regards.
Old 17th April 2009, 03:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That only means:

- High on fuel efficiency
- Coarse at high rpms (where have the revv-happy Jan engines gone?!!)
- Average'ish city driveability.
This is going to be one super-revhappy engine, mark my words. I'm surprised no one has spotted yet, it's OVERSQUARE!!! 4 valves per head, twin overhead camshafts, 10:1 CR, and a piston bigger than the stroke -- this thing is going to rev like a superbike. You can say bye bye to low-end torque, unless they have a real genius mapping it, since I'm seeing peak torque only come in at 4500 rpm.

All Tata engines, and some Mahindras, were first launched in India.
Old 17th April 2009, 03:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
This is going to be one super-revhappy engine, mark my words. , it's OVERSQUARE!!! 4 valves per head, twin overhead camshafts, 10:1 CR, and a piston bigger than the stroke -- this thing is going to rev like a superbike.
But will it be as fun as the G13? I really have some doubts. G13B was not only fun but fuel efficient, considering that if the K12 makes its way into Swift/Dezire it may further be tweaked a bit to produce close to the current 87.5bhp motor, so that may result into less FE. Also, considering that there is still much time for EURO-5 to come into play, I really don't think Maruti should bother about retiring the G13 anytime soon. As they still run the 4-cyl 1.1 litre engines in WagonR/Estilo and Kb10 in A-star, I really have doubts that Maruti may change the 1.3s with the new 1.2 in other cars so as to have a common engine series throughout their almost entire line-up.

Regards.
Old 17th April 2009, 04:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Fun means different things to different people. A rev-happy engine is a fun thing on track or on a twisty mountain road, but an absolute PITA in traffic. Similarly, a diesel engine is fun in traffic and short bursts, but annoying in the twisties.
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:08   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
This is going to be one super-revhappy engine, mark my words. I'm surprised no one has spotted yet, it's OVERSQUARE!!! 4 valves per head, twin overhead camshafts, 10:1 CR, and a piston bigger than the stroke -- this thing is going to rev like a superbike. You can say bye bye to low-end torque, unless they have a real genius mapping it, since I'm seeing peak torque only come in at 4500 rpm.

All Tata engines, and some Mahindras, were first launched in India.

I am reviving an old thread to ask a noob question I badly want a clarification on sorry.

I thought a rev friendly engine would have great torque as well? Why is rev-friendliness on the opposite end of low-end torq-uiness? Or is the rev-friendliness only at higher rpms?

The K12M comes with the following specs

Engine CC: 1197cc (petrol) 1248 cc(diesel)
Maximum power: 85ps@6000 rpm and 75ps@4000 rpm.
Maximum torque: 113 Nm@4500 rpm and 190 Nm@ 2000 rpm.

Is the peak torque lower than a G13BB between 2000 and 2500 rpm? I could not locate the figures @2000 rpm of the G13BB.

EDIT: Sorry I think the 190@2000 is for the 1.3 DDiS engine.

Thanks

Note from Mod : Old news thread, hence closing.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2010 at 22:45. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed