Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 14:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

We have had this for so many years now.I think chandigarh was the first city to implement this.But you ll be amazed with the amount of tinted cars you see in chandigarh.All my cars have jet black tints on the rear side windows and back wind screen.With the summers here catching cars with black tints will be on top of their agenda.Buggers they are i tell you.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very nice move, however will be tough to bring an effect as Rs 100 fine is too low and am sure, people in South Mumbai wont argue if they know the amount of fine and pay and move on.

Is there hefty fine for found violating second time ? I guess it should be high.

At such fine amounts, I wonder how many months/years it will take them to atleast breakeven the cost of equipment (leave aside man cost)
Well as someone said here, in Bangalore it was started with big propaganda and education for people (what is meant by 70% visibility etc etc) but was called off after huge public outcry.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:57   #18
BHPian

I personally love dark tints.

Is there any way I can find out if the tints on my car are according to the RTO norms??
I don know about the percentage of light that they let in.

Looking at the picture I think the tints are not according to the norms.
Attached Thumbnails
Cops cracking down hard on dark tints!-pic011000000.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 15:06   #19
BHPian

I can think of one way! But you may not want to run the risk-- what if you end up having to pay the fine?

Your tints look overly dark to me, too. Must be hard to see out of the side windows at night.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:12   #20
BHPian

regarding GREEDY MAMAs

Hi BigRon
U are right , since its Summer U(they0 have to catch Tinted Glasses, instead of "Tinted" persons

That's why I just hate the Intentions of MAMAs

1. they will always look for Drunk men om new year day or Holi day

2. they will look for Bikers without Helmet in Summers

3. they will look for Tinted glasses ,, no matter whether 10 or 100 terrorists enter the City & ransom it for 3 full days

4. WHY DON'T THEY FIRST CLAMP DOWN ON SHIV SENA, NCP, MNS, KGN, CAT ,DOG,SHIVAJI, FOOTBALL,DANGER, DADA,BOSS ETC ETC FANCY STICKERS ON Rear Windows WHICH OBSTRUCTS MUCH VISION than tinted panes ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
We have had this for so many years now.I think chandigarh was the first city to implement this.But you ll be amazed with the amount of tinted cars you see in chandigarh.All my cars have jet black tints on the rear side windows and back wind screen.With the summers here catching cars with black tints will be on top of their agenda.Buggers they are i tell you.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:12   #21
BHPian

RTO unapproved tints must be banned across the country and this should be implied for safety of all citizens.

But, the problem lies in education which is coupled with corruption. Most Traffic wardens do not know if a particular film is RTO approved or not. At this point, They end up harassing innocent people. I have seen policemen scratch people's car tints with their bike keys even when they are perfectly legal. So, while the law is great, it is not properly exercised.

Further, the ppl because of whom laws like this are brought into implementation (criminals in general) seldom follow it and are never bothered by traffic warden defeating the purpose.

Finally, what bout grey market companies. Just few days back we had a random delhi company salesman approach us on pretense of selling their unauthorised sun tints. Funny thing was he assured me full RTO approved certificate and even offered to brand his tints with those of a very high-profile sun tint company...
Old 15th April 2009, 15:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Swift- Funny you even bothered to ask the Q.
Now as you have asked they seem to be in compliance with the mentioned 50%
Its a good initiative but how much implementation will be done only time will tell(i can already feel many cops feeling good about the bribes to come).
Old 15th April 2009, 15:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

prays these cops dont show up in tvm!
Old 15th April 2009, 15:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

during my days of working with 3M films, Pentagon Films and now Madico Films, i have always used the tint meters and always adviced people to follow the rules.

again its the implementation of the rules by the authorities that is important, otherwise its just another way to make quick money for the police men on the patrol duty!

such drives are conducted after an incident takes places and looses its steam midway!

Punjab and Chandigarh are VERY tough when it comes to the implementation of the tint rules!

why not install clear films for better visibility and same heat control?
Old 15th April 2009, 15:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post

Your tints look overly dark to me, too. Must be hard to see out of the side windows at night.
Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
Hi BigRon
U are right , since its Summer U(they0 have to catch Tinted Glasses, instead of "Tinted" persons

That's why I just hate the Intentions of MAMAs

3. they will look for Tinted glasses ,, no matter whether 10 or 100 terrorists enter the City & ransom it for 3 full days

4. WHY DON'T THEY FIRST CLAMP DOWN ON SHIV SENA, NCP, MNS, KGN, CAT ,DOG,SHIVAJI, FOOTBALL,DANGER, DADA,BOSS ETC ETC FANCY STICKERS ON Rear Windows WHICH OBSTRUCTS MUCH VISION than tinted panes ..
Valid point. The only way we can convince ourselves is to think that we live in INDIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Swift- Funny you even bothered to ask the Q.
Now as you have asked they seem to be in compliance with the mentioned 50%
Its a good initiative but how much implementation will be done only time will tell(i can already feel many cops feeling good about the bribes to come).
I know. stupid question.
The implementation of this rule will take time. I wouldn't want to let go off these tints but if things become strict then I ll have no other option other than replacing them.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
why not install clear films for better visibility and same heat control?
I wasn't aware such clear films are available. Doubtless they cost much more than regular dark films?
Old 15th April 2009, 15:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
Not at all.
It will be very difficult to drive during the rains at night time. I had similar tints in one of my earlier cars (previous owner had fixed them).
Old 15th April 2009, 15:53   #28
BHPian

+1 Our Qualis at home has such dark tints too. At night, unless the windows are rolled down, the ORVMs become useless and when rounding a corner the A-pillar marks the edge of the field of vision (compared to the B-pillars during the day). Not a nice state of affairs.

Of course, swift8847, we haven't sat in your car, so yours might be different!

Last edited by Perakath : 15th April 2009 at 15:54.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It will be very difficult to drive during the rains at night time. I had similar tints in one of my earlier cars (previous owner had fixed them).
During the monsoon I have to roll down the windows when I have to take a turn.

Garware, I am assuming is a branded sunfilm company. How come a company with a brand image manufacture a film like this one?

Or is it only because the rule is not implemented?
Old 15th April 2009, 16:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, should they not look for them? It's obvious that there will be maximum drunk drivers on such days. You should be happy that Police is doing their job and reducing number of accidents.
Quote:
Why is it so hard to comprehend that helmets are for biker's safety more than the police's? Why does even one need a police to tell what is good for oneself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
With that kind of logic, there should no law and no police. Thank goodness, things don't work that way.
Quote:
Sure. They should do that. But that doesn't mean tinted glasses are more legal than these stickers. It's like saying because, a don has killed hundreds of people without getting caught and I am killing just one, Police should let me go scot free.

I don't understand what is all this hue and cry about a good initiative. I too love dark tints myself, but if it's illegal and unsafe, it shouldn't be used. Even if police looks at it as another source of income, it's not as bad, since fear of fine will discourage some people from taking illegal route.

P.S.: I find it extremely derogatory to humiliate the Police officers by repeatedly calling them Pandus, Mama/THOL/Thulla whatever. However, corrupt they are, there is far more sense of security/law n' order in Maharashtra/Mumbai than many other states of India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks