Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 22:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

The police in kerala was a bit agressive last month on the tints when there was news that some people landed on our shores un authorised.But now it just vanished and on enquiry was informed that they dint have instruction from higher ups that the check should be mandatory everywere.i personally dont support the dark tints too.
ram
Old 20th May 2009, 22:04   #92
BHPian

The official cars of most MPs and ministers, including the BMW 7 series of PM Dr. Manmohan Singh does NOT have dark tints. So, the politicians are following this law.
Old 20th May 2009, 22:22   #93
BHPian

I'd rather have them break this law and follow a hell of a lot of other laws.

Why the BMW isn't tinted is beyond my comprehension, being the top man of the country you'd think he would want some privacy.
A safety aspect also comes into play, snipers don't need the advantage of seeing inside the car, seriously.

As for Mumbai, I've seen cops let people with very dark tints go by, so nothing being done out here.
Old 20th May 2009, 23:20   #94
BHPian

In USA,it depends on which state the vehicle is registered.In New York State it is illegal to have tinted windows.the two front windows cannot be tinted beyond 18-20% tint.The rear windows can be darker.But there cannot be any tinting on the windshield(front) ,window Rear glass can be tinted.dark tinting does reduce visibility in the evening/night and the traffic police cannot see what the driver or passenger is doing if they are stopped for any reason.It is for their safety(police).there are individuals hiding guns and there are tragic incidences because of that
Old 20th May 2009, 23:55   #95
BHPian

This law is silly simply because I have to believe the machines are either rigged or faulty. I got caught and I assure you, I have light tints. They're the lightest shade available and are infact RTO approved, yet they fined me! I argued for 20 mins but it was pointless. Finally he asked me for a bribe, said screw it, I'd rather pay the Rs. 100 fine than bribe the guy...
Old 21st May 2009, 10:28   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
What is the probable effect of dirt and dust accumulated over time even if the film used is compliant with Motor Vehicle Act?

What is regulated are not the tints per se. What the law requires is that there should be 50% visibility from outside to inside through the side / windows glasses. There is no point in having clear glass and curtains on your windows. You still are breaking the law, because visibility is nil.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
The official cars of most MPs and ministers, including the BMW 7 series of PM Dr. Manmohan Singh does NOT have dark tints. So, the politicians are following this law.
That car does NOT need dark tints. 7 series comes with a grill parallel to glass.

This grill can be raised whenever required.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 21st May 2009 at 11:46.
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:57   #98
BHPian

i was caught about 6 years back by a traffic cop when i was driving in my 800 with dark tints.paid 100 bucks ( dont exactly remember) and drove away.
Old 25th December 2009, 19:45   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
This law is silly simply because I have to believe the machines are either rigged or faulty. I got caught and I assure you, I have light tints. They're the lightest shade available and are infact RTO approved, yet they fined me! I argued for 20 mins but it was pointless. Finally he asked me for a bribe, said screw it, I'd rather pay the Rs. 100 fine than bribe the guy...
The traffic cops provide great service to the mad streets of Mumbai, I've seen many a cop brave pouring rain or thick clouds of pollution at Traffic signals. However the issue of the same cops harrasing private owners for all sorts of minor violations and turning a blind eye to commercial vehicles (ricks, taxis and commercial vehicles) is something I have a "rich" experience of.

1. I've paid twice for the tint meter test. I have the darkest possible RTO approved shades in my car, but the reading showed 18 in both cases. A gross violation according to them, hence the receipt. To my shock, in both the cases the receipt said J/S which is short for "jumping signal".

2. If a traffic cop pulls you over and finds nothing irregular, almost always they demand a PUC certificate, all this while rickshaws are passing us by spewing venom into the air.

3. The PUC certificate itself is a big scam, those guys never test the vehicle, just make up random numbers and give a certificate.

Grapevine: I was told that there are bribe & violation collection "targets" given to each cop, hence the desperation to meet them.
Old 25th December 2009, 23:52   #100
Senior - BHPian

we guys in Bangalore are having a blast lol!!
every second car i see have jet black tints here(loads with jet black windscreens).
every one including the cops are fine with it . Hakuna matata period
Old 26th December 2009, 00:41   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
every second car i see have jet black tints here(loads with jet black windscreens).
In bangalore the cops only fine tata sumo/indica cabs with tints.You can never spot a cab with dark tints in bangalore.And they don't even fine.Rather they rip the tints apart.Seen them doing that a couple of times

Whereas private vehicles are never harassed.I have the darkest tints on my safari and touchwood till date the cops have never stopped me for this reason.
Though yesterday when I was coming back after partying hard I was stopped at the BTM signal and asked to spell my name right into the traffic cops mouth to confirm whether I was drunk or not.Got that right,no smell of any alcohol as I am against drunk driving and I was asked for carry on.
Old 26th December 2009, 01:06   #102
BHPian

Nowadays in Kerala I see cars sporting reflective tints on their windows and sometimes on their windscreen too. Such type of tinting should be made illegal, as there is no possible way of seeing what's happening inside.

Cops cracking down hard on dark tints!-dsc00036.jpg

Note- pic for illustration purpose only

Last edited by harishnair : 26th December 2009 at 01:09.
Old 26th December 2009, 10:01   #103
BHPian

Its True and shocking that many are let off .Only few numbers of small-sized cars are caught the larger ones are always let off.
Old 26th December 2009, 11:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Isnt this legal in Bangalore. I remember in 2005 when I was in Bangalore, there was a crackdown on tints and after heavy pressure from people (women) it was taken off. and there I was, repenting on why I took RTO approved tints on my car (70% and 50%) when I could have enjoyed the privacy with total dark tints.

However being across other cities I feel that was a wise decision as you never know when you would be pulled over in Delhi or Mumbai for it. Bangalore guys have fun, this is not something cops will fine for.
Old 26th December 2009, 14:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

any idea what tint % production cars have when they are delivered to customers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks