Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 02:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Im unfortunate about not beig caught till date for my tints. All my cars have dark blacks. But im sure these cops are going to come down very heavily on this as well, just like they did with the Drinking and Driving law. All im hoping is that we dont get the 'no tints' rule like other cities. That'll be a goner.
Old 25th April 2009, 14:54   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
All im hoping is that we dont get the 'no tints' rule like other cities. That'll be a goner.
Hopefully, the "VIPs" with the dark tints wont let this happen. Because then even they'll be having a real tough time.
Old 25th April 2009, 17:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

About people feeling that they use legal sunfilm (50% visibility) and still get fined, I have a query.
Don't most car glasses (windows) come with a little tint? My U-VA says 70% visibility and so does the office Accent.
Which means that when you put 50% sun film on this, the actual visibility is 50% of 70% = 35%.
Maybe that is the reason.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Hopefully, the "VIPs" with the dark tints wont let this happen. Because then even they'll be having a real tough time.
You think so ? These rules are applicable only for the common people not VIP's.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:08   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
My 2 cents -
Doesent it make sense for the police / authorities / whoever to crack down on the illegal film manufacturers?
That way, the police can mind the business they are supposed to do (definitely not harassing innocents) and the janta in general also is happy?
Bro the same thing applies to:
Smokers v/s Tobacco Companies
Liquor Consumers v/s Liquor Manufacturers
etc. & it will never stop.

All we should do is abide with the laws of the land however flawed they may be.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Im unfortunate about not beig caught till date for my tints. All my cars have dark blacks. But im sure these cops are going to come down very heavily on this as well, just like they did with the Drinking and Driving law. All im hoping is that we dont get the 'no tints' rule like other cities. That'll be a goner.
Quote:
As per the law minimum 70% visibility is needed for the front and rear windscreens and 50% for the windows and the moment we get anything that doesn't subscribe to the above parameters, we are breaking the law, KNOWINGLY or UNKNOWINGLY.

Having lived in Chennai I do understand the intensity of the sun's rays during summer but on any given day except 800 all other car's AC are capable to take care of the effect through cooling. Plus there are other methods to avoid the glare. I have never had any tints on my car and during long drives use either news paper or sun shades.

Most of us who have been abroad would think twice before breaking the law there but would do so with impunity over here in their own country. WHY? Why do we have so much disrespect for the law and always consider ourselves first among equals? Is it because of the fear of being levied with a huge fine in a foreign land whereas we know we can get away with some gratification over here.

Kudos to Delhi Police who have made sure that people (including the VIPs and VVIPs) in Delhi follow the tint law and other state polices should take inspiration from them to enact the same.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 25th April 2009 at 18:38.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:36   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say that politicians in your city actually worry about obeying the law?

Old 28th April 2009, 11:53   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
You think so ? These rules are applicable only for the common people not VIP's.
The only reason i think so is that during the 'Anti-Drink n Drive' campaign, the cops actually suspended the licenses of a lot of rich people who claim to be 'influential'. Though as you said, the real VIPs are going to have it easy, its at least good to see the cops trying to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You mean to say that politicians in your city actually worry about obeying the law?

Haha. Nice one. But having dark-black tints on their cars when there is a total 'no tints' rule will actually make them stand out in the wrong way. And of course, the real VVIPs would have nothing to worry about, the wannabe 'VIP's may have a tough time.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:37   #84

in andhra pradesh you need a persmission from the police department for using window tint ....and they do oblige if you have a security threat or so
Old 20th May 2009, 11:32   #85
BHPian

Sunfilm RTO approved level in Mumbai?

I was recently caught by a traffic policewala in mumbai near chembur.

The dude had a device to test the level of light the film passes.

The device showed 40-41. The dude said it must be above 50 and said its 200 rs fine & bla blah!

I was stunned to see that he had a device and moreover when I got the sunfilm from SK Wheels Turbhe they said its a RTO approved film.

Can someone put some light on this issue?

What the level of light the sun-film must pass? Whats your story in Mumbai?
Old 20th May 2009, 11:36   #86
Team-BHP Support

for the sides the level of visibility should be 50% and for front and back 75%. i dont think those machines work properly and dont worry about it too much. i guess its too hot for the cops to be standing around looking at sunfilm nowadays.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:38   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humm View Post
The device showed 40-41. The dude said it must be above 50 and said its 200 rs fine & bla blah!

I was stunned to see that he had a device and moreover when I got the sunfilm from SK Wheels Turbhe they said its a RTO approved film.
Permissible visibility is same all over India - it is prescribed in the Central Motor Vehicle Rules.

The answer to your question lies in the part highlighted in bold. The device shows 40; the dude says "must be above 50". If what the dude says is true, what is the use of the device?? And what did you do?
Old 20th May 2009, 11:42   #88
BHPian

Aki at some places cops stand comfortably under a tree and popout and stop you if you are the last car before the signal gets Red.

That's what exactly happened with me yestreday and I tipped the fellow 50rs and got rid of him.

Frankly its only during summer when cops hit sunfilm as its when people add it to their cars.

I too kinda believe their machines are fautly, I asked to cop to insert the machine and test again at the back window of my car, he refused said no time.

I thought better to get rid of him and proceeded towards my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
for the sides the level of visibility should be 50% and for front and back 75%. i dont think those machines work properly and dont worry about it too much. i guess its too hot for the cops to be standing around looking at sunfilm nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Permissible visibility is same all over India - it is prescribed in the Central Motor Vehicle Rules.

The answer to your question lies in the part highlighted in bold. The device shows 40; the dude says "must be above 50". If what the dude says is true, what is the use of the device?? And what did you do?
The device is inserted in the window of your car. The glass is between the device and then the device shows reading which mentions the light the sunfilm/glass/window can pass.

I didn't do anything, he just stopped me for a check. I cooperated with him and bas told him that I will get things done according to RTO, smiled and moved on!

Last edited by humm : 20th May 2009 at 11:45.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:24   #89
BANNED

Ugh oh. So the cop says that the machine shows a reading of 40-41 means, the visibility of the film in your car is only 40%. It should be of a more lighter shade. (I was thinking of the meter showing 40% visibility, and the cop saying it is only 50%).

You better follow the advice.
Old 20th May 2009, 21:33   #90
BHPian

What is the probable effect of dirt and dust accumulated over time even if the film used is compliant with Motor Vehicle Act?

Most Viewed