Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2010, 12:32   #106
BHPian

I am a latest victim of this fraud by MahPo.

Was stopped in on the Mulund EE Link road with my wife, my film percentage was 31%.

I questioned the copy on if this was 31% transparency or is it 31% opaque in nature, poor pandu was confused and confiscated my license for want of original RC book and papers.

I think our democracy is going a bit too far.
Old 14th March 2010, 13:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

this is kinda funny
my car sports jet black tints with literally no visibility from outside.
in Bangalore i dont have a problem regarding the tints but when i took the vehicle to GOA.
the cops stopped me.
since they saw it was an out of state vehicle they gave me a warning and left me.
what i had to do then next was drive around goa enjoying the breeze with by windows down all the way (as no way i wanted to remove my tints)
Old 14th March 2010, 13:30   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
any idea what tint % production cars have when they are delivered to customers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I am a latest victim of this fraud by MahPo.

Was stopped in on the Mulund EE Link road with my wife, my film percentage was 31%.

I questioned the copy on if this was 31% transparency or is it 31% opaque in nature, poor pandu was confused and confiscated my license for want of original RC book and papers.

I think our democracy is going a bit too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
this is kinda funny
my car sports jet black tints with literally no visibility from outside.
in Bangalore i dont have a problem regarding the tints but when i took the vehicle to GOA.
the cops stopped me.
since they saw it was an out of state vehicle they gave me a warning and left me.
what i had to do then next was drive around goa enjoying the breeze with by windows down all the way (as no way i wanted to remove my tints)
The law as per CMVR is 50% visibility on the side windows and 70% visbility on front and rear windscreen. The visibility over here means from outside. All films which obey the law gives a sticker certificate stating that the film is as per CMVR regulation which can be stuck on the winscreen.

Most cars unless they come with tinted windows, come with 100% visibility. My Uno and Palio has slight greenish tinted windows, so I don't think they are 100% but will be about 80-85%.
Old 14th March 2010, 14:42   #109
BHPian

Now if visibility is an issue, there are several higher end cars sold with curtains. Guys is there any regulations regarding curtains?
Old 14th March 2010, 14:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Now if visibility is an issue, there are several higher end cars sold with curtains. Guys is there any regulations regarding curtains?
The main thing is about visibility so whether you use film or curtains or sunshade, it doesn't matter. But atleast with Curtains and Sunshade one has the benefit of removing them instantly if a cop catches.
Old 14th March 2010, 15:26   #111
ada
BHPian

All these laws are for common people like you and me. I have seen cars with 0% percent visibilty go below cop's nose, while innocent person are caught and harrased. The reason -- besides their car having zero visibility it also has some political party sticker.
Old 14th March 2010, 21:47   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
I guess this rules apply for driver & front passenger side, whereas most of this cars have curtains at the rear.
Old 15th March 2010, 07:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3p View Post
I guess this rules apply for driver & front passenger side, whereas most of this cars have curtains at the rear.
The rule applies for all windows. I think I have posted the exact CMVR regulation earlier on this thread. The tints rule is followed religiously in NCR has there were quite a few kidnapping and molestation cases in cars way back way back and since then police is very strict on tints especially dark ones including Minister/Official Cars
Old 15th March 2010, 08:47   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
the cops stopped me.
The Goa cops are usually quite strict about tints, seatbelts and a few other things. Whether they fine you or let you off with a warning depends on who you are. If you look decent, don't argue and have women in the car, they usually let you off with a warning. A group of guys wearing banyans, packed into a Sumo or Trax driving into Goa from nearby towns in KA or MH just for drinks usually ends up with a fine. Outside cars with plates from Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore or KL ( they assume that people from these places are well educated has have a sense of responsibility) are also let of with warnings.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 15th March 2010 at 08:49.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Last week we were entering Mangalore city , suddenly my brother asked me to roll down the windows! i asked "what happened"

It seems in Mangalore (inside city) cops fine for dark tint!.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:09   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The rule applies for all windows. I think I have posted the exact CMVR regulation earlier on this thread. The tints rule is followed religiously in NCR has there were quite a few kidnapping and molestation cases in cars way back way back and since then police is very strict on tints especially dark ones including Minister/Official Cars

Gimme a break. Aside from a few cop-magnets, say A,B and C segment cars, nary a car will even be flagged down, forget about a fine.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:44   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cops cracking down hard on dark tints!

Saw this news on TOI online today morning. Searched the forum and found this thread, so decided against opening a new one.

As per the article SC has asked central government to respond to PIL on ban on tints.
Full article at TOI link SC seeks govt response on ban on tinted glasses - The Times of India
Old 19th July 2011, 10:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can't argue with their reasoning though. I love dark tints, but will be the first to admit they restrict driver visibility at night and that the concealed interiors can be used for anti-social activities.
My guess is that the visibility is more to do with the glass area.
My car pool now has a Jazz and the visibility in the dark is surprisingly high.
It has got the tint on all glasses including the front, but from the inside, it has got more visibility than that of a bus.

But I guess, it has its cons as well, first being the high cost, and then the amount of sun light let in on a hot day is actually much more than that of a car with less glass area.

And I still give a for this drive. It severely impairs visibility during rains and in the dark. So a medium tint is the most that should be allowed for any car, even if its the Prime Ministers car.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:50   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Saw this news on TOI online today morning. Searched the forum and found this thread, so decided against opening a new one.

As per the article SC has asked central government to respond to PIL on ban on tints.
Full article at TOI link SC seeks govt response on ban on tinted glasses - The Times of India

I support this.
dark tints are getting TOO dark on the roads.
you can hardly make out whats happening in broad daylight, much less at night.

But, there is a major grouse here.
I read the article.
This like a baans(bamboo), and bansuri(flute) scenario.
autocratic, and dumb as hell.
The supposed justification is since the TP doesnt have instrumentation to check the visibility levels, they have asked for a blanket ban.

help me with this, and just for the DTP here.
does it not have enough money?
I dont believe that all the FB reportings, and challans issued thereof have caused them to stop issuing random challans on the road directly.
So, all the income they are getting from FB reportings, by basically sitting on their thumbs, when all the work has been done by the reporting citizens, is going .......... where?
if it is going into their operations, number one:how did they manage before ?
two, what operations?that of maintaining the social media connect?

I am not harping.
I am just saying, because, i happened to get pulled over by a group of DTP guys about 2 months back.
they said my film is too dark.
i said, test it and show me.
"no test, i will remove it."(which in itself is illegal.they are supposed to take one of your documents, and youve got to report back in 72 hours or something)
I told him, "you dare touch that film without measuring, i am taking a video of this, and then we'll see you in the papers."
I could see him seething, because one, he'd been challenged;two, he knew he was wrong;three, the chance to make a couple o' hundred bucks on the side was gone.
None of my friends who had films in their car(all in limits), were challaned anytime they asked these guys to measure it.

basically, now, even a 1% tint which youve put to prevent getting microwaved in the car, is now a target sign for these guys.
This will get painful in a hurry now.

Last edited by mayankk : 19th July 2011 at 10:54.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:06   #120
Senior - BHPian

I just spent a packet for getting the regulated tint and the company even gave me a card and a certificate.

Now is there a 100% transparent yet 100% InfraRed, UV A/B filter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks