Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2005, 16:21   #31
DRC
BHPian

All, I do agree to all your arguments that no phone talking while driving...
How do you think the cops themselves handle this one, I see a flimsy box welded in their RE bullet, and talking into it as i talking into a brick.. (poor thing does not even have a full duplex communication channel, you have to remember to pross a switch after you spoke).. Don't you all think they desrve a better equipment?
Old 23rd May 2005, 18:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
John: the study was done with both hands-free and without. The result was almost the same. It is more mental distraction than physical. I would be slightly sceptical about US studies since they pioneered car-phones and also drive automatics mostly.
Ok, i'll concede the point. No more talking on the phone when I drive. Instead, I will follow Samurai's best practises, as mentioned below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
These days when I get a call, I keep it short and tell them I'll call them back. Also when I call somebody I ask them whether they are driving and if so I tell them I'll call back later.
I suppose it is possible to lose concentration even if we don't feel it happening.
Old 23rd May 2005, 18:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Look at the progress of this thread - we started off bad mouthing the cop who stopped one of us for speaking on his bluetooth headset and we end up promising never to speak on the phone while driving, headset or no headset...
arent we all such good little boys?
Old 24th May 2005, 14:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Wow! .....
arent we all such good little boys?
Ummmm.. lets say:
Responsible, careful citizens & drivers of this country who rightly care about safety for themselves, families, friends, other roadusers... .. ok..ok .. I'll stop before the mods throw me out..
Old 24th May 2005, 15:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Also when I call somebody I ask them whether they are driving and if so I tell them I'll call back later.

This has come into practice these days. I hear lot of people asking this, if they have a noisy background. Nice to see this ( Iam not talking about the sales guys here )
Old 24th May 2005, 15:51   #36
BHPian

guys relax it is legal to drive with a handset anywhere in india butas u said u were covering ure face with a handkerchief i guess the cops used it as an excuse just to check if you were a crook or not!
Old 24th May 2005, 16:27   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
guys relax it is legal to drive with a handset anywhere in india
Dude, where did you get that?

Check the various city news. Police can't fine people if there is no law about it.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030917/cth1.htm
http://www.hindu.com/2005/01/11/stor...1117170300.htm
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...India_2003.pdf
Old 26th May 2005, 16:58   #38
BHPian

hot_rod...Huh ??
As for people who decided not to speak on the cell while driving (atleast in city traffic) well done guys....I generally keep my cell on, and dont bother to take any calls (even on my bike)...not that any of the calls are important anyways..
In the car if its my wife's fone I will just quickly press the No button..as thats a designated signal between us...engage tone = driving

If its urgent or I need to call someone ..I can always stop at the side and do it.
Just makes me mad when I see a biker talking on a handset and riding his bike .....why cant you stop on the side!
Old 26th May 2005, 17:20   #39
BANNED

Guys..have seen lot of vehicles with Advocate's emblem on them..I think its one gud way of keeping away senseless cops!
Old 26th May 2005, 17:25   #40
BHPian

The law says you have to keep your cell phone switched off if you are driving and alone in the car.

I always used to have a handsfree with auto answer but is illegal. So I stopped taking the phone while driving but that's illegal too. Now I switch off when I drive alone. If a caller needs to get in touch with me he/she leaves a voice mail for me. If I can switch off during important meetings, I can do the same while driving. I never missed anything, except may be telemarketing calls (that's a real good thing!).

It is not that I subscribe to the views of the lawmakers. It is too much of an effort driving in the cities, why take an additional burden of dodging the cops because you are speaking on the phone.

If you do not like the law, petition your local MLA to initiate change of law.

On the discussion about similarities of speaking on the phone and with co-passengers, while speaking to your co-passengers your mind is within the car but when speaking on a phone your mind is with the speaker which is elsewhere....(not to be taken literally)
Old 27th May 2005, 02:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasopi
Guys..have seen lot of vehicles with Advocate's emblem on them..I think its one gud way of keeping away senseless cops!
Yeah,so that you are not caught and fined but given life imprisonment.
There was this huge racket of the 'govt of india' cars busted in mumbai a while back.

X
Old 27th May 2005, 15:58   #42

You can not argue with the police officials

Dear All,
Same was the situation with me when I was driving on Laxmi Road, Pune and i was rubbing my ear as there was some itching. The cop caught me saying that you were talking on phone. I told him that you can check the mobile whether I have made any calls or received any calls. But he refused and charged me a summon. I had to bear the same is there any way we can fight with this injustice.
Old 2nd July 2005, 18:19   #43
BHPian

Escalate. Talk to the cops higher official. It works.

Worked for me!

Most Viewed