Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Stopped by the cops - no facts

Was driving along with my wife, wearing my bluetooth headset. Got flagged down by a cop who said that he got a message that I had been talking on my mobile at a previous signal.

This was a total lie. I showed him my phone and said I could prove that I was not speaking for the past 10 min. Since I was waiting for the lights to change - am not sure whether he wanted me to get out - but as there was no proper charge, I drove onto MG road past a whole lot of police inspectors who would have stopped me if I was really up for grabs.

Again I was driving with a hankerchief to my face to stop a horrible heat boil from leaking - they thought something else through the tints

Am not sure whether:

Are bluetooth headsets allowed?
Will I still receive a summons and if so, can I dispute this ?
Was the cop trying for a fast buck ?- he was too junior to write a summons

Best thing to do is to avoid eye contact and drive on in any situ
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Was driving along with my wife, wearing my bluetooth headset. Got flagged down by a cop who said that he got a message that I had been talking on my mobile at a previous signal.
Wow if this is true I suppose we could get stopped for running a red light yesterday or driving dangerously last week...

I guess someone saw you with the handkerchief around your face and decided that you had to be checked out...the handset issue was probably just an excuse to stop you and check out whether you were an absconding crimnal
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:30   #3
bhp
BHPian

i think you are not allowed to drive even when talking with an wireless bluetooth headset thats wat a cop said back here in mumbai , but there are some cops that dont stop you when u are talking on a wireless headset . is there any rule regarding the same or it is just from cop to cop they keep on harrasing you with some new rules coming up every new morning
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp
i think you are not allowed to drive even when talking with an wireless bluetooth headset thats wat a cop said back here in mumbai , but there are some cops that dont stop you when u are talking on a wireless headset . is there any rule regarding the same or it is just from cop to cop they keep on harrasing you with some new rules coming up every new morning
In theory you shouldnt be stopped as long as you use a headset - wireless or otherwise. At least thats the rule in most countries, since the idea is that you should have both hands on the wheel. This is also the reason why car kits and headsets are encouraged - if it is illegal to speak at all, you should be hauled up for speaking to your co-passenger as well.

IMHO however, speaking on a phone while driving is dangerous - headset or no headset. Whats the point in having two hands on the wheel if your mind is somewhere else? This is only an opinion, though.
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

the rule is - Mobile Phones to be switched off while driving ! Period !

so where does the question of talking on a headset arise ? but then cops hardly know about bluetooth...or a blue tooth headset ..only thing blue they know is films !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 22nd May 2005 at 16:52.
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

According to the updated traffic rules you CAN be stopped and fined while conversing on a handfree/bluetooth set just as you would be while using a fone.

Funny incident, i was scratching my ear once when a cop waved me down and was surprised to see no fone in my hand... i just made a crooked face at him and drove off.
Old 22nd May 2005, 17:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
According to the updated traffic rules you CAN be stopped and fined while conversing on a handfree/bluetooth set just as you would be while using a fone.
Wow thats news! What if I'm listening to music on my bluetooth headset - how do I convince the cop that the phone is playing music and not answering a call? Had a similar experience on a Virgin Atlantic flight recently when a stewardess insisted that I switch my phone off when it was off (flight mode). Took a while to show her that the phone was off and it was just the PDA part that I was working on, but then I'm not complaining...anyway, to cut the long story short she went away shaking her head at 'technology!'
Old 22nd May 2005, 17:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
IMHO however, speaking on a phone while driving is dangerous - headset or no headset. Whats the point in having two hands on the wheel if your mind is somewhere else? This is only an opinion, though.
I dunno... I don't think your mind would go somewhere else while speaking on the phone (using a handsfree headset, of course) any more than it would while talking to your co-passengers.

So if talking on a handsfree is forbidden, they should also disallow talking to co-passengers, and enforce it by fining any drivers who drive without gags and earplugs. This is just my opinion though - I can't claim it is any better than yours or anybody else's.

My cable operator's blacked out just as the first lap had gotten started in the Monaco GP. I am SO royally p***ed off!!

Last edited by johnjacob : 22nd May 2005 at 17:55.
Old 22nd May 2005, 19:19   #9
BHPian

Once i was stopped at a traffic light for talking on the phone.. Well we were stattionary for about 2 min at a signal and thats the reason why i made the call... It took me 15 min to haggle with the cop...
Since then i decided to play a trick on the cops ... did it 3-4 times at different places...
While being on the signal i used to hold my car stereo remote near my ear and pretend to me talking making sure that the cop is looking at me ..
When the cop noticed and came to close to car i would roll the window down and ask him whats wrong he would say .. Saheb talking on phone is an offense.. i would show him the remote and tell him but havaldar saheb this is the car remote and not a phone ...
The look on their face was PRICELESS ...
For everything else there is ..................
Old 22nd May 2005, 20:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice one evo6, though this trick sometimes acts both ways, if you know what I mean!
Old 22nd May 2005, 22:47   #11
BHPian

nice one evo 6. my brother was also caught once on talking on phone while driving the cop took the simcard away.hey how do cops come to know that you are talking on a wireless its a tiny thing and dosent come in notice many times.
Old 22nd May 2005, 22:55   #12
BHPian

Word of Advice :
If you dont wanna get caught using bluetooth.
Use it on the right ear instead of left ...
Since we drive on the left side most cops will be waiting on the left side of the road to catch people ... So they will not notice it on the right side since the headset is so small ....
Old 22nd May 2005, 23:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Do what i did a couple of times in school when i had a free period and a radio on my cell.
Take a wired headset and from under your shirt, take it up to your ear, preferebly right, put it in and talk.
Old 23rd May 2005, 02:50   #14
BHPian

wait..so why is talking on the phone illegal??? is this a recent law, or one that was put in some years back?? cause my uncle talks on the phone all the time, he doesnt get caught, so iono . If this is true, then damn, it puts a damper on my driving style.
Old 23rd May 2005, 03:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
the rule is - Mobile Phones to be switched off while driving ! Period !

so where does the question of talking on a headset arise ? but then cops hardly know about bluetooth...or a blue tooth headset ..only thing blue they know is films !
I second NC on this one.Talking on the phone is not allowed at all,then let it be the handset or the headset.It distracts your attention either ways.And yeah,its for our safety pals.Not because the government wants money.
Afterall,this is India.You never know when a biker or a cycle-wallah will come in you way.So drive safe.

X

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks