Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 17:40   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
few weeks ago, was driving on NH7 during the night around 7pm. It was raining and the road was slippery.
A bike guy with a pillion(male) was speeding on his pulsar. It was my turn to over take a bus . But he was impatient and tried to over take while i did(probably driving around 40 and the bus was at a stop and was stationary)
The bike guy braked hard , his brakes locked and he skid and banged into my rear bumper.
I stopped , went to the guys and see if they were alright(at that moment a crowd of 20+ gathered) the driver was fine but pillion had tumbled a few times on the road but he stood up immediately but was bleeding (not on vital areas like head ,face etc ) but on elbows and knees.
Gave him a piece of my mind(without the profanity of course) . People (not the bikers )demanded i pay compensation for their mistake.
I stood my ground and insisted it was their mistake and said i wont mind taking them to a hospital and paying the bills(for simple wounds which i could mend using the cars first aid kit) if they were willing to pay for my damages.
The crowd shut up, the bikers were considerate and Humbly accepted their mistake and i left the scene.
My Car had a big scratch + a dislocated rear bumper which was fixed at home.
Good that the bikers were considerate and level-headed. More often than not, its not the case.
How did you fix the scratch and the dislocated bumper at home?
Old 27th April 2010, 17:45   #152
Senior - BHPian

i fixed the bumper by glueing the places where the clips were damaged and the scratch was removed using 3m rubbing compound.
all though 90% of the damage is gone, there is still a reminder of what happened that night.
Old 27th April 2010, 19:27   #153
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, this thread brings up many serious issues with how we all look at traffic, roads, and our "rights".

In some countries in Europe, they've started following the principle that the more the damage that your vehicle can cause, the greater the responsibility you have of ensuring the road's a safer place. Of course, that does not take away complete responsibility off the shoulders of pedestrians, bikers, motorbikers - but definitely puts more of it on larger vehicles - similar to what we see around here and usually mock (I've been a victim of an extreme interpretation of this rule so am not taking sides - just highlighting that the biggest difference we can make on the road is to our own behaviour).
Old 27th April 2010, 20:38   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i fixed the bumper by glueing the places where the clips were damaged and the scratch was removed using 3m rubbing compound.
all though 90% of the damage is gone, there is still a reminder of what happened that night.
Sounds good that it was fixed(almost) at home in a simple way.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:45   #155
Senior - BHPian

While i am a biker myself and love 2 wheels better than 4 at any given time, i have to agree that most of the 2 wheeler riders are senseless. Forget about caring for other lives, it feels as if they dont care for their own!!

Proof of the fact was today while riding to work, i am in the left lane behind a bus waiting to overtake it and also know that there is a bus stop on the left side a few mtrs ahead. I move onto the right lane to overtake the bus when a pulsar rider who is single without wearing a helmet, overtakes me from the left & is trying to squeeze in between that same bus and a car. The move was so dangerous that if the bus driver had not eased the gas pedal the guy would have been dead meat.

I dont know why bike riders expect the bus or the car to slow down and take care to not hit them when their own life is at stake and they are more vulnerable to injury.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:17   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
While i am a biker myself and love 2 wheels better than 4 at any given time, i have to agree that most of the 2 wheeler riders are senseless. Forget about caring for other lives, it feels as if they dont care for their own!!

Proof of the fact was today while riding to work, i am in the left lane behind a bus waiting to overtake it and also know that there is a bus stop on the left side a few mtrs ahead. I move onto the right lane to overtake the bus when a pulsar rider who is single without wearing a helmet, overtakes me from the left & is trying to squeeze in between that same bus and a car. The move was so dangerous that if the bus driver had not eased the gas pedal the guy would have been dead meat.

I dont know why bike riders expect the bus or the car to slow down and take care to not hit them when their own life is at stake and they are more vulnerable to injury.
Yeah the bikers are pretty senseless in Bangalore.
I ride to college daily and come across one of these specimens regularly. And no prize for guessing which bike(yeah its usually a numskull on a pulsar). More than once ive been asked(or demanded) to squeeze through a gap which in my opinion was too tight for comfort. Most of them feel it cool to squeeze through gaps and ride like mad men on the foot path. I do sometimes overtake from the left side(yeah,im guilty), but i make sure not to disturb the vehicles im overtaking and im extra careful about it.

I honestly feel auto rickshaws are a bigger menace than the bikers.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
I do sometimes overtake from the left side(yeah,im guilty), but i make sure not to disturb the vehicles im overtaking and im extra careful about it.

I honestly feel auto rickshaws are a bigger menace than the bikers.
I too overtake from the left but only in unavoidable circumstances when i am left with no other option.

Auto rickshaws of Bangalore are as guilty as careless 2 wheelers for chaos of traffic.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:39   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I too overtake from the left but only in unavoidable circumstances when i am left with no other option.

Auto rickshaws of Bangalore are as guilty as careless 2 wheelers for chaos of traffic.
Auto ricks everywhere are a menace. God knows why Bajaj had to invent such a thing. Nothing wrong with them, but the jerks driving them are a bunch of incorrigible dumb fellas. They stop wherever they spot a passenger. Abruptly, without any signal/indication. In the middle of the lane, right side, left side, anywhere!! Feel like wiping them out!
Old 28th April 2010, 09:52   #159
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Yeah the bikers are pretty senseless in Bangalore.
I agree...
Beyond the many things mentioned here already, I dont seem to understand why these guys feel rear view is a useless accessory. Most the bikes does not have one.
Another interesting behavior I have noticed. When I want to shift to the left lane or take a right turn, I always use my indicator. And guess what happens. The bikers start overtaking from the left.
Not to mention the practice of taking right turn from the left lane at the signals.
Do, these people switch their brains off when then have the machine between their legs?
Old 28th April 2010, 11:15   #160
BHPian

Trust me mates, senseless bikers are omnipresent features of Indian roads and are not constrained by boundaries of cities.

Its just that their behavior in BLR is more prominent/obvious because of a relatively low average traffic speed.

Delhi/NCR too has its fair share of two wheelers who are absolutely reckless on roads. However, I think the percentage is significantly lower because of high average speed of traffic in most parts of the city (am considering only the main arterial roads). Even a slight brush at 40 can have fatal results for a bike rider and therefore, they can not afford to take chances.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:34   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I agree...
Another interesting behavior I have noticed. When I want to shift to the left lane or take a right turn, I always use my indicator. And guess what happens. The bikers start overtaking from the left.
Not to mention the practice of taking right turn from the left lane at the signals.
Do, these people switch their brains off when then have the machine between their legs?
Yes I agree with you, whenever I put indicator to take right/left I see a two wheeler overtaking from that side. What they do not understand is it is their life at risk in case anything happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Its just that their behavior in BLR is more prominent/obvious because of a relatively low average traffic speed.
+1
Their behavior improve with the average speed and in rainy condition.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:53   #162
Senior - BHPian

I think trying to change lanes when the traffic in their lane slows down is common to all vehicles. Even the mighty BMTC buses do that. The problem is it gets easier as the vehicles get smaller. So the bikers do it more since they think they can do it.

Today while coming to office, I could feel that the biker on the right lane wants to change lanes. I had honk to prevent him from doing so.

These guys dont even think about the relative speeds when trying to change lanes and always try to squeeze mindlessly. I have heard about a lot of fatal accidents to bikers doing this and guess what the other bigger vehicles get blamed.

I think bikers are more of a menace than auto drivers in this aspect.

Last edited by srishiva : 28th April 2010 at 11:55.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:58   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Happend to me in Bangalore once. I was waiting at a red signal and this biker with a girl sitting behind him, makes his way to the front and stops on my left side. As the signal turns green, he wants to zoom ahead, tries to do so, only to clip his rear footrest in my left front wheel well. He starts to wobble around in the middle of the road as other vehicles start to hurtle towards him. Luckily (for me and him), he managed to regain control and sped away.
That would have been hilarious to watch

Sometimes i feel like a fool riding my bike since I ride a little defensively. People all around me just weave around the traffic (Imagine doing this in the narrow roads of small town Palakkad), whereas am on the left side of the road letting go of bigger vehicles. Many times have seen families with kids doing this maneuvers.

The other day a lady with a kid in front in a scooty came speeding down a street, hit a bike waiting on the right side to cross this side, and fell down. Luckily nothing happened to the kid. People around were really shocked!

Having said that, I think a little bit of courtesy from the four-wheelers are also in order, instead of having 'Am on a car and how can a 2-wheeler do this. Wait, let me teach him' kinda attitute
Old 28th April 2010, 12:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

@mallumowgli, I agree.

I always try to adjust my speed and let these maniacs go away when the speeds are high enough to be dangerous for their lives.

But then, I would not call it courtesy !
Old 28th April 2010, 13:29   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But then, I would not call it courtesy !
I would call it mercy.
Merciful to the idiot who is out there on road on a suicide mission and wants to pull in others in order to pass the blame..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed