Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 12:00   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
The morons driving and HONKING on the footpath are the worst of the lot. It just takes 1 idiot and another 20 follow him. They should ban 2 wheelers.
What a great idea, NOT!

I don't think its fair to generalise and put all the blame on the bikers. I agree there are quite a few that are senseless but the same can be said of car drivers as well.

I am a biker and will always be. The need of the hour is patience and consideration for other users of the road and this applies to all even the people walking the road when the footpath is made available to them.

The onus is on us to make the driving/riding experience better.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:01   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Quite a few times I had to resort to some mild form of verbal abuse on such two wheeler riders when I walk on the footpath and these lesser mortals encroach upon the walking space.

Sometimes when I see someone taking their bikes onto the footpaths, I stand still, take out my mobile phone, type messages/browse/change theme etc etc, all this while the biker is honking like crazy. I don't budge and make them stay right there till the signal is green or he/she goes back onto the road.
I take this riding on the foot path quiet seriously. I tend to step aside and slap the rider on the helmet or back as he passes by. That startles them and they slow down. Just glare because they know they are in the wrong
Old 29th April 2010, 12:16   #183
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I've tried to sketch some of the common mistakes made by Two-wheeler morons. (I am not an artist, But I believe you can understand it from the figure)
Who says you are not an artist. These are some amazing sketches I've ever seen of traffic issues! I liked the small biker representation a lot!
Old 29th April 2010, 12:54   #184
Senior - BHPian

Not all of the Two-Wheeler are the like that have been portrayed in the Forum. But, in fact, most are like this, & they definitely need a stick to learn adhere to the rules.

I got to my office on bike often (ditching the car) & try to avoid what other morons on 2-wheels are doing. I can confirm that driving on footpaths, cycle ways, use of mobile phones (while driving that too in middle lane), risking lives & dangerous driving are the offences are committed by them as if these are norms for them.

But, I would like to point out that overtaking from left & driving slightly fast are not as serious, is the driver is careful about the traffic ahead & can plan the ride accordingly. Thereby avoiding risks & accidents.

A recent research in West has shown that the young drivers lack the ability to make right judgement to drive properly. This can be attributed to adrenaline rush, also inspired by stupid movies (especially the dubbed South Indian ones), where the most frail character (read the hero) would drive like a maniac in traffic & regularly challenge the Dada types whose Dadagiri vehicles have narrowly missed turning him in dead meat.

BTW, the rule for senseless 2-wheeler driver is that smaller the vehicle (in capacity of engine) bigger the daredevil attitude of the driver. Beware of the 100cc wallahs.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 29th April 2010 at 12:56. Reason: formatting
Old 29th April 2010, 13:44   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
This can be attributed to a
whose Dadagiri vehicles have narrowly missed turning him in dead meat.
road-kill sounds better coz that's what they end up being
Old 29th April 2010, 15:55   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
My car was hit by a police vehicle. Apparently, those chaps were gossiping about something and didn't notice their rolling into mine. I was soo damn furious and when I confronted, I was asked to leave because I was apparently causing a traffic jam.

The rear bumper had a weird corner with no paint - almost like a scar and I had to spend quite a bit to get that painted.

There is very little that can be done when the law enforcers commit such atrocities.
Not difficult to imagine. There's hardly anything that could be done, because they are the law-enforcers and can force anyone to accept what they believe is law according to them. Which includes driving as they please.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:22   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
My car was hit by a police vehicle. Apparently, those chaps were gossiping about something and didn't notice their rolling into mine. I was soo damn furious and when I confronted, I was asked to leave because I was apparently causing a traffic jam.

The rear bumper had a weird corner with no paint - almost like a scar and I had to spend quite a bit to get that painted.

There is very little that can be done when the law enforcers commit such atrocities.

ouch! the rouges in uniform! it is a very common sight to see cops breaking traffic rules in Bangalore. all one can do is crib about the system
Old 30th April 2010, 11:28   #188
BHPian

Ahmedabad cops have been cracking down on bikers breaking laws recently, and I applaud them for that. However, it doesn't really seem to be having much of an effect. :( Stronger and broad based action seems to be the need of the hour.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:58   #189
Senior - BHPian

If the cops were out on the road in force, and fined every senseless 2-wheeler, could we not abolish Income Tax?
Old 30th April 2010, 12:52   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
If the cops were out on the road in force, and fined every senseless 2-wheeler, could we not abolish Income Tax?
Sounds like a plan, but certain part of the collected fine goes to their pockets, the one which goes unaccounted for, without challan.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:13   #191
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, the authorities should consider the traffic as a source of income (like small towns do in the U.S).
By the time everyone is fined (increase the fine amounts please) and adheres to rules, they would have collected a fortune.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:13   #192

Time for a reality check??

Guys, this is needless generalization. Agreed that there are senseless drivers but they are not limited to just 2 wheelers.

Did you notice the number of times a driver opens the door while driving and spitting a mouthful of paan masala on the road?

Did you notice how a 4 wheeler stops in the middle of the road dropping off people to a shop while a mile long traffic honks behind it?

Did you notice how most of the 4 wheelers themselves change lanes with no prior signal or warning?

I can go on... but the point it... many of the drivers in India are irresponsible, 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers alike.

And I am pretty sure the only thing preventing 4 wheeler drivers to do what the bikers do (swerving in and out of traffic and sneaking between vehicles, etc) is because of the size and bulk of their cars: its not easy to drive it the same way like a bike!
Old 30th April 2010, 17:45   #193
BHPian

The problem with us each driver irrespective of what mode of transport he is on thinks that he owns the Road. why even pedestrians cross roads at their whims and fancies even when they are at signals. Singling out anyone is wrong. Unless all of collectively act it is impossible to improve the road manners.

I am a bike rider, I have to cut lanes because there are no dedicated lanes for bikers. If there is gap sufficient enough for a 2 wheeler, then the vehicles behind keep pressing the horn forcing me to cut even if I don't want to. Think how many of us cover the zebra crossing while at signal. People don't give way for ambulance man.

Unless rules designed for safety (not for filling coffers) are enforced strictly Road Kings will always be there. Prioritizing the rules is the need of the hour. Uniform Traffic rules have to be taught right from schools days. Just because one does not drive does not mean they should not be aware of the rules.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:35   #194

Pls Help in negotiating rashly driven two wheelers !!!

I had a close encounter with a 2 wheeler a few days back; am idling on a toll gate(2 lane) me on the right side and a truck on left, i get the ticket and i move ahead, and suddenly from no where a biker goes past me from my left, his handle hit my left RVM and he lost balance and fell down, i applied sudden brake and leaped to my left to find him under my car,i was shocked at that sight, luckily he was not hurt, i had a minor dent on my left rear door, thanx to the side skirting on my chevy, not much damage, tat guy broke his mirror. i had to pay him 200 bucks as the cop insisted it, and was not in a position to pick up an argument as my mom was along and she was worried too...so i paid 200 and off ya go...

This incident made me very vary of 2 wheelers, during peak hours, i mostly run into situation where i hav 3-4 bike in front of me, 1-2 somehow squeeze through the left and keep moving along with me, not overtaking, i hav a few bike to my right and a few tailgating...i get totally freaked out and i find myself in such situation atleast once a week however had i try to avoid it...i do not leave a big gap on my left, i keep left mostly and i dont slow the traffic down, i go with the flow.

Pls help me on how to handle this and to my wonders i have 2 wheeler overtake me leftside, even when a have a left indicator flashing and is going to turn left.(overtaking me WHILE i am turing left)

pls let me know how to keep these guys off the bay and any wierd trick for the same are welcome, am an experimenting type

PS: Kochi Traffic

(WE SOON WILL HAVE A LANE DISIPLINE IMPLEMENTED ONCE THE ROADS ARE PROPERLY MARKED, VIOLATOR WILL HAV TO ATTEND A 2 HR DRIVING CLASS AT THE POLICE STATION/ PAY FINE)
Don't know if this is gonna work out, but sounds really good hearing it from the police commisioner.

..and for the long wriite up, am off work today, and its pretty boreing today ,lso i thought i wuould trouble you guys. jk

Last edited by Eddy : 5th June 2010 at 00:01.
rahul153 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th June 2010, 02:51   #195
BHPian

There is nothing you can do, you will find the two-wheelers attached to you like a swarm of bees all time.

You should drive in Chennai, then you will realize that cochin is far better.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed