Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2005, 20:13   #16
BHPian

Listen to this. I have my GTX parked on my porch. A cyclist - a daily wage worker - comes by at full speed. sees a puddle in front of the house decides to avoid by moving to the right but at the last moment sees a bike coming in the opposite direction and turns sharply. Looses balance and comes straight at my car, crashes in to the tail lamps and breaks it.

How do i ask him to pay up 800 bucks for it?

Now for the important thing. It was just a week back that i replaced the left tail lamp after a bike hit it. Now its the right tail lamp!
Old 23rd May 2005, 20:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
In Pune the situation is much worse

Once when I was waiting at signal a kid riding bike came & scratched my car even before I could roll down my window he was long gone

it is really amazing how less number of accidents happen in pune considering the situation
adya33,

You are right. Pune traffic has no sense or logic. I have driven in Pune for sometime and I know exactly what you mean. Infact, even the PMT buses cut lanes and come extremely close to your car!

Speaking of accidents, I was in Pune when my car was just 10 days old. I was at the signal before e-square. Being used to driving in Mumbai, I slowed down and stopped when the signal turned Amber to Red. And then came this dude on his TVS Victor zooming at 70. He didn't think it was necessary to stop or slow down at a red light and happily rammed into my car. There he was lying on the road, with his helmet still on his head and wailing in pain. His bike's front mudguard stuck between my hatch and bumper, well-separated from his bike on the road. Result: Change of bumper + painting for my car. Felt like thrashing the life out of that guy for ramming into my new car, but he was a lot in pain already.

Infact, traffic in Pune is so ill-mannered that I accidentally jumped the yellow line before a signal by a good 10 meters. A cop stationed right there didn't bother to even catch me! Had this happened in Mumbai, I would have had to pay the fine or bribe my way out. Also, roads in Pune are pathetic. Yet you see an assortment of sports cars and super-luxury sedans there. Much more than what you would expect to see in Mumbai.
Old 24th May 2005, 00:38   #18

But dont you think its a bit much to blame ALL two wheelers..

tho i do agree a large percentage of them are idiots..

Ram
Old 24th May 2005, 00:59   #19
BHPian

Well thats a true tale about pune ...
specially when the bikers come close to you and the foot peg or the crash guard on the brake lever scratches the sides of your car...
But this is the best .. There are tons of kids in my society with small bicycles .. Ya sure sounds like .. so cute ..
But what if one of them comes and smashes into the rear indicator garnish of your Merc...
What do u do about that ...
Thrash whom ???
His father ???
Old 24th May 2005, 02:59   #20
BHPian

TWO WHEELERS IN PUNE : its a hell for all big cars !!
guys pune has largest number of 2 wheelers in india -(thanks to Mr. Bajaj) and it keeps up to its reputation by adding a minimum of 80 to 100 everyday..
So make yourself comfortable with the dents and scratches on your car - about which you cant do anything but to get them removed and repainted...
God bless.
Old 24th May 2005, 08:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there is a way out of this mess. Hearing all your stories I am kind of flustered because it seems to happen to most of us.

Besides, what can we do? When I got out of the car in Hiranandani I wanted to thrash the living daylights out of the cyclist who gave me the first scratch. But when I saw that he was just another poor guy (I mean literally) I could not do it. Damn! The motorcyclist just sped away ...

To all of you who got the 'scratch' job - man I feel for you. I used to feel awful seeing a scratched car earlier, now I wil feel doubly so .... :(

P.S. Now I am scared of entering Pune. My wife is from there and I know I will have to go there sometime. I think I will try sneaking in early in the morning and using an autorickshaw for in-city travelling.

P.P.S. Not all two wheeler drivers are idiots. Just like not all four wheeler drivers are angels ... Still I think the greater proportion of idiots are on two wheels.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 24th May 2005 at 08:28.
Old 24th May 2005, 08:41   #22
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
Listen to this. I have my GTX parked on my porch. A cyclist - a daily wage worker - comes by at full speed. sees a puddle in front of the house decides to avoid by moving to the right but at the last moment sees a bike coming in the opposite direction and turns sharply. Looses balance and comes straight at my car, crashes in to the tail lamps and breaks it.

How do i ask him to pay up 800 bucks for it?

Now for the important thing. It was just a week back that i replaced the left tail lamp after a bike hit it. Now its the right tail lamp!
So you got a new pair of tail lamps, case closed! (Just kidding) I have gone thr' this , helpless , neither we ask such guys to pay us upfront nor claim insurance.

Additinal tax for owning a car.
Old 24th May 2005, 11:02   #23
BANNED

You boys think you had a bad time? Check this out...

A friend of mine owns a Palio GTX - his pride and joy. One day, he was sitting in his car at Breach Candy, next to the two petrol pumps, at about 1 am. Next thing you know, a tow truck came at full speed around the bend and rammed him into 3 other cars.

Then the truck driver tried to escape by backing up, hitting 2 more cars along the way.

By this time my friend is out of his car and running towards the truck, along with some other car owners.

Finding his exit blocked, the driver puts the truck in first and floors it, ramming the Palio out of the way and into a lamp post, so he can make a getaway.

By the time they caught up with the truck, it had been abandoned and police inquiries later on found out that the driver had disappeared back into his gaon in some godforsaken part of the country.

The Palio was trashed.

Aren't you glad all you've had to deal with are bikes and ricks?
Old 24th May 2005, 12:02   #24
BHPian

This topic makes sense, but I hope no one is generalizing. There are sensible bikers and there are senseless bikers. There are sensible drivers and there are senseless drivers. This topic could be extended to four wheelers too. I have myself seen so many cars cut me off when they move into the slow lane to overtake a truck that's driving slow in the right lane.(Damn right, overtakin from left, first mistake). They not just do it, they do it suddenly and without even looking out for anyone in that lane. I have been pushed off the road more than once by these senseless drivers. When a biker rides recklessly and bumps into a car, you guys beat him up coz he scratched your car. When a car drives recklessly, and bumps into a bike, the biker falls and is seriously injured or hurt. He doesn't normally have the chance to get hold of a car driver. So if you think you're frustrated, think about bikers.
This is just one example. There are thousands of other things where cars are offending the bikers. But I'm not generalizing.
Old 24th May 2005, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think the biggest bnuissance on road are *Commuters* be it in cars or on bikes. I daily see loads of commuter car drivers who thik its against their dgnity to give signals while turning & then they look with anger if you are about to bumb into them while they are taking their 'obvious' turn. Same goes with the bikers.

I blame the licensing system in India as most of the drivers/riders are not technically sound(thanks to the fake & with out test issued licenses) & then we expect them to ride/drive sensibly.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th May 2005 at 12:22.
Old 24th May 2005, 12:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I blame the licensing system in India as most of the drivers/riders are not technically sound(thanks to the fake 7 with out test licenses) & then we expect them to ride/drive sensibly.
in pune its you have to get 6 questions out of 10.
& thequestions are really dumb to start with & heck even few people have managed to fail it!
Old 24th May 2005, 12:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave12r
When a biker rides recklessly and bumps into a car, you guys beat him up coz he scratched your car. When a car drives recklessly, and bumps into a bike, the biker falls and is seriously injured or hurt. He doesn't normally have the chance to get hold of a car driver. So if you think you're frustrated, think about bikers.
My friend recently had an accident when a speeding car pushed him off the road. You can be reckless or be sensible in whatever you do. So, it hardly matters if you are driving a truck, sumo/qualis, a bike or a car. In Pune, I have seen so many car drivers driving their cars as if they are two wheelers. I used to think earlier that it would be difficult for a car driver to be as reckless as a biker due to vehicular constraints, but I see people hell bent on proving me wrong.
Old 24th May 2005, 12:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

i went out n bought a 2 wheeler, cant fight them then join the

biggest problem: LACK OF PATIENCE ! hey i dont have it
Old 24th May 2005, 13:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
...But what if one of them comes and smashes into the rear indicator garnish of your Merc...
What do u do about that ...
Thrash whom ???
His father ???
Oh, OUCH!!! Dear god, what did you do...??!! Shoulda confiscated thee kids riding liscence!!
Old 24th May 2005, 13:38   #30
BHPian

And don't even get me started on "politico/bigshot/bhai" owned scorpios. They drive like they own the road, disrespecting any kinda signal, and kinda traffic rule- even pandus! That's what you get for handing out turbos to ppl who dont know what it's worth.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks