Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 13:03   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I ride my Bullet to work once or twice a week (the Lancer on the remaining days). Try my level best to follow lane discipline, but there are these pesky autowallahs and old-aged Uncles in their M800s hogging the right lane at a sedate 30-40 kph leaving no space for overtaking. In these circumstances I have no option but to overtake from the left.

I have seen the so-called dare-devil bikers on Karizmas and P220s and other fast bikes (read Pulsars and CBZs) trying to race against my Bullet 500. I don't care a damn if they whizz past me at full throttle. I pity their behavior because they are risking their own lives as well as fellow commuters. I say to myself, "Let them have fun in the city, I will take them on the highway if needed".
Man you typed it for me. Just replace the Lancer with Swift and it's me . Everything else (2-3 days on Bull 500 and rest by car and other experience and the highway blast) are same.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:04   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Man you typed it for me. Just replace the Lancer with Swift and it's me . Everything else (2-3 days on Bull 500 and rest by car and other experience and the highway blast) are same.
Good to see a similar pattern rider/driver . Riding a bike and car both during the week helps me to understand the mistakes I commit when on bike and when in the car. Also gives me the perspective to look at the hardships a typical commuter on a bike or in a car faces on a daily basis. I try to take it as a learning experience for the next day and move on. Only improves me as a rider/driver with each passing day.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:13   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Good to see a similar pattern rider/driver . Riding a bike and car both during the week helps me to understand the mistakes I commit when on bike and when in the car. Also gives me the perspective to look at the hardships a typical commuter on a bike or in a car faces on a daily basis. I try to take it as a learning experience for the next day and move on. Only improves me as a rider/driver with each passing day.
True to 100%. Being both a rider and driver it helps to undertand whats there in one's mind when you ride / drive. It helps a lot to react according to that. For example I always try to keep the left / middle lane while I drive , or atleast keep a bay for bike on my right in narrow roads allowing them to overtake. I do this because I feel the difficulty overtaking a car while it moves slow through right lane. Also, I never try to squeeze throuh a narrow gap but keep just behind a car when I have no space, because I know how it feels when a biker tries this while I am driving. And moreover the 500 with a big crashguard is somewhat like a car, can't ride rash in traffic
Old 11th April 2008, 16:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

All those who have visited Pune atleast once will know how difficult it is drive around with all those suicidal, maniac two wheeler riders!!!

Pune is becoming a two-wheeler city and there are so many jerks who have graduated directy to a motorbike from a tricycle.
Hot Wheels Tricycle

They do not know the rules and they ride like maniacs!

Yesterday, I was waiting near the signal in Shivaji Nagar. There was hardly any space between my car and the divider. One pulsar guy squeezed right up to my front door. My RS Rear View Mirror was obstructing his path. He slowly came close, closed my car's mirror, broke the signal, was almost run over by a volvo and sped away!!! What do we do with these kind of mentally retarded guys???

I really feel like hitting one or two, but just the thought of what my two tonner can do to a bike stops me!!!
Old 11th April 2008, 17:54   #95
BHPian

After watching a lot of 007 movies since kidhood, I've always wanted my car to have some gizmos, milder ones though, like a big wooden hand that would automatically come out and slap those bikers that just want to cut into your lane even though there's not a mm of space and zig-zag across

Another one of my favorites is a mini-shower hidden somewhere near the headlights that would spray a yellow colored liquid on any pain-in-the-a** automobile driver (mostly rickshaws since cars would have their windows up)

And a LCD screen at the rear windshield that would have a funny face come out with it's tongue teasing the car on my rear whenever he honked at a red light (<--- Like this, only replace I'm with You're) :-D
Old 11th April 2008, 21:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What is this new breed called 'IT Types'? Is it people who work in IT or is it the a race?
I was referring to the section of people working in IT companies in Bangalore and contribute the most to the traffic congestion in Bangalore. Some vignettes of their behaviour

- Husband/wife work in the same company but drive seperately to work (each single occupant)
- has company provided bus every half an hour but still drives every day to work
- takes car out for every small errand, I've seen cases in my apartment where the individual drives the car out of the gate, parks at the shop in front and promptly drives back in
-Complains continously about the traffic and the roads in Bangalore, refuses to adjust his lifestyle even slightly to make things better

The one thing that is common among all of them is an absolute denial of their role in the pathetic traffic situation, it's always someone else who is the problem.

BTW, I don't consider myself to be very different, as I too exhibit some of the same behaviour at various times.
Old 11th April 2008, 23:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I was referring to the section of people working in IT companies in Bangalore and contribute the most to the traffic congestion in Bangalore. Some vignettes of their behaviour
And most of them wear a thin framed glass & drive a Santro Xing. The type of driving most of 'em follow is called "Uncle driving".

"Uncle driving" is defined as that type of driving where two hands of the driver are placed promptly at 60 degrees from horizontal on both sides of the steering, driver only looks straight, goes at 40-60 Kmph without allowing faster vehicles to pass, and constantly honking if there are slow moving vehicles in the front. While taking turns, both hands work blissfully in a robotic manner in transferring the steering from one hand to another. Gearshift takes only microseconds as they are afraid to take one hand out of the steering for more time.

Please excuse me for going slightly OT.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th April 2008 at 23:28.
Old 12th April 2008, 00:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
There are enough dumb fools in this world who do that. Delhi and Mumbai (to a much lesser extent) and even Amdavad have such guys.

This IT types is just a divisive label that is often put, and used in a much wider derogatory sense. I'd just say that the behavior and the job and the target set are coincidental and not causative. Labels are not such a good thing.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:16   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Hmm.. These are really risky things to do with bikers. When I drive a car, I do not bother much about the two wheelers, not matter how bad they overtake me, or how bad they ride. Because if you try something like this, and if the two wheeler guy falls down and dies (or something really bad happens to him), you'll be beaten down to death, Or they'll put your car on fire, if they're able to get you.
man this thing happens when you are driving in a straight line. Most of the two wheels are least bothered. All they know how to overtake a vehical from inches. Everybody knows this fact about two wheelers. That is risky too.

Today itself a man on a scooter was ruined on the road by M800, The guy suddenly lost the balance and M800 behind nearly ruined them. But it was stopped by the scooter on the road which had fallen down. Else, that M800 would had crushed their heads. M800 was just at arounf 40-50 kmph. Not more than that. Cars in cities can't run below 40-50 kmph.

Anyways, yesterday itself i had installed a magnasound horn (3-4 times louder than my current horn). Made my friend scared like hell, who was standing near my car's grill. haha it is an alternative horn and most of the times i use my original one.

Last edited by Gangsta : 13th April 2008 at 11:18.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:27   #100
Senior - BHPian

churi kharbuze pe gire ya kharbuza churi pe,
nuksaan kharbuze ka hi hota hai.

kharbuza = melon

whether the knife hits the melon or viceversa the melon suffers the damage.
so all 2 wheeler riders should watch their melons.(err - all 2 wheeler riders are melons)
Old 13th April 2008, 11:54   #101
Senior - BHPian

You made my day CARZY. Sunday will be spent laughing... Actually the last one about the LCD screen is doable, I believe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
After watching a lot of 007 movies since kidhood, I've always wanted my car to have some gizmos, milder ones though, like a big wooden hand that would automatically come out and slap those bikers that just want to cut into your lane even though there's not a mm of space and zig-zag across

Another one of my favorites is a mini-shower hidden somewhere near the headlights that would spray a yellow colored liquid on any pain-in-the-a** automobile driver (mostly rickshaws since cars would have their windows up)

And a LCD screen at the rear windshield that would have a funny face come out with it's tongue teasing the car on my rear whenever he honked at a red light (<--- Like this, only replace I'm with You're) :-D

Last edited by gd1418 : 13th April 2008 at 11:55.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:54   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
so all 2 wheeler riders should watch their melons.(err - all 2 wheeler riders are melons)
Are you sure about that?
Old 13th April 2008, 20:00   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
churi kharbuze pe gire ya kharbuza churi pe,
nuksaan kharbuze ka hi hota hai.

kharbuza = melon

No my friend, here our law always takes knife responsible as it should have been kept itself away or behaved more responsibly (though melon was on rage of suiside)
Old 13th April 2008, 20:34   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
No my friend, here our law always takes knife responsible as it should have been kept itself away or behaved more responsibly (though melon was on rage of suiside)
yes buddy i know what you mean!
6 yrs ago 2 melons hit my knife at 430am(without going into details-it was thier fault and they were drunk). I dint flee the spot. although it was apparent to all and the cops that it was thier fault - as per indian law i was the offender & they were the victims just because they were very seriously injured. Anyways, i was technically arrested and released on bail and then a court case pursued for 4 years which i clearly won by a long shot due to all the evidence against them.(riding without vehicle papers, without license, drunken riding,etc)
Anyways moral of the story is that the severe injuries they suffered have affected their lives in a very big way. So eventually the melon is affected & therefore all melons should ride responsibly.

By the way, i ride too. And i ride more & harder than the average rider. And when on the bike, i consider myself to be a melon, even though i wear an expensive helmet & a spidi riding jacket with padding,all of which put together cannot guarantee even 1% of my physical safety. It is therefore of utmost importance that a 2 wheeler rider should not get carried away while riding and should be on the safer side of safe.
Old 13th April 2008, 21:45   #105
BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves:- I disagree with that melon thing, not every two-wheeler rider is a melon. I also see many people driving like maniac and killing people. But does that make every driver a maniac.

Being responsible is not just the duty of riders, the onus lies on the drivers too. Blaming just one segment is not at all appreciated.

PS:- I am a driver as well as rider too, so i think i understand both driving and riding and can see myself in both the situtations, whenever i follow the law/rule every one pushes one off the road as if someone has comitted a crime.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed