Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th April 2009, 18:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Very simply, we lack a maintenance culture. We expect things to look after themselves and last forever without any effort on our part.

Its not just the roads, its everything about our country.
Well said Steeroid ! We are like this only !!
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 19:25   #17
BHPian

Really sad. Used to be one of my favourite roads. The tunnels are awesome. Do the big ventilation fans work now? Last when I saw them in October not one was working.
Lets make sure we spread the word to as many people as we can. This might help ensure people do not overspeed and get into trouble. Keeping at 80 kmph should make things a little easier to cope with.

@M124: You were lucky. Make sure you never outrun your lights at night!
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Very simply, we lack a maintenance culture. We expect things to look after themselves and last forever without any effort on our part.
Its not just the roads, its everything about our country.
You are absolutely correct Steeroid. They make the road(s) once and then leave it .
neeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 00:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Why are we as a nation, so low on maintenance?. Even private home owners won't bother to whitewash their homes every once in a while, even when they can easily afford it. Sad state of affairs.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 08:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'm not worried of the gov taking over, if they do a fantastic job they did like the NH4, that is.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 09:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Its like if the road is actually top notch, the construction company will go out of business because they wont have anything to do!
You've sort of stumbled upon a half truth here. I won't clarify any further, but road surfacing is one big big scam. Happen to know a fair bit of how thigns operate w.r.t. this road-surfacing contracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
As individuals, nobody would have the time to protest but I guess 50 or so people refusing to pay toll and blockading the booths should serve as a nice wake up call to these idiots.
Actually this is exactly what used to happen about a year back at the toll gate between Vasai and Virar, the toll booth was shredded to pieces by activists (maybe for publicity or whatever) because the road was in deplorable state. Conditions have improved now, but not enough to justify the toll which is now being paid at the spanking new resurrected toll booth at the exact same spot as before. Appears as if they spent more money on the toll booth than the road.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 09:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think we have the right to demand for good road on every road we pay toll for. Maybe there can be some protests organized and people can refuse to pay tolls till the time the road is restored to its original condition.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote