Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
BTW, in a similar vein, do any of you remember an article in ACI/OD a few months back which described a new world class SUV to be launched by an industrial/agricultural group in North India, who said that they studied the market and found that there is huge potential for SUVs.. I am sorry to be so vague but I cant remember the name of the group nor can locate the mag..
The Sonalika group (International Tractors) were planning to launch an SUV using 'technical inputs' from Rover. They released a statement after Rover became incapable of Roving to the effect that their plans to develop an SUV are uneffected.

They must be thinking that if Mahindra can develop an SUV out of an agricultural engine and a world war 2 chassis, they should be able to do so too...
Old 2nd June 2005, 13:37   #47
BHPian

fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
This news just came in from inside TKML ...
Fortuner not to going to be launched till mid 2006 as Toyota wants to enjoy the success of the Innova... They have realised the preference shift of consumers from Sedans to SUV's .. So if they launch the Fortuner they will end up hampering Innova Sales ... Thus the decision to postpone launch ...
DAMN......#$!%!#^%#^#

Hope the above turns out to be wrong ...
SORRY GUYS
hey, How correct is your source.
i thought i would wait till the year end?
can you provide more info... Please?
Old 2nd June 2005, 13:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
This, if true, will be bad strategy on their part.. I am sure there are plenty of folks around who are waiting for the Fortuner.. This is a segment that will never buy Innova.. Instead Toyota will lose this market to the Safari/Scorpio CRD or any other SUV that gets launched before Fortuner.. I for one am not willing to accept such strategy games by a manufacturer..
I agree with nitin here.. A lot of mags have mentioned that the Fortuner will be launched in the Nov-Dec time-frame.. I am guessing that Toyota will positively launch it by the diwali time-frame to take advantage of the fat bonusses that most people will have in their pockets..

Besides, the insider news might be a ploy by the sales-people to promote the Innova.. The Sales people think that they might be able to sell Innovas by spreading false propaganda about Fortuner release dates..

My $0.02..
Old 2nd June 2005, 16:27   #49
BHPian

[quote=Steeroid]The Sonalika group (International Tractors) were planning to launch an SUV using 'technical inputs' from Rover. They released a statement after Rover became incapable of Roving to the effect that their plans to develop an SUV are uneffected.
QUOTE]

Thanks Steer, thats the one I was struggling to remember.. Is there a way of finding out if these folks are serious and if they will really launch a decent SUV?
Old 3rd June 2005, 20:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

evo....!!!! god help toyota if you are right.... they are gonna have some pissed off would-have-been customers, who will be cursing them while cruising in their safari crd-i's.....

i think you are right man23, the delay in launch might just be a rumour to push the sales of the innova, but like you said earlier, what's the point?? a fortuner wallah would never go in for a innova, so.....; and if anybody goes to a toyota dealership and asks for any info on the fortuner, he will find that the sales guys are absolutely blank, the executives "predict" a 2006 launch, saying that there have only been indications, and no official word from toyota, and..... they urge you to go for the innova or the corolla instead...!!! at least, that's what i experienced...

nice info there, redone..!!!! you have given a new lease of oxygen to revive our dying hopes of toyota bringing in the 3.0 D-4D fortuner, in the rs.12 lacs region.... man23, nitin and i are very happy at this particular piece of info....

i firmly believe, that the launch of the safari crd-i will happen in the region of sep-oct, and the fortuner by nov.... now that should give us enough room...
Old 3rd June 2005, 22:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Toyota will have 3 products in the same bracket
Innova
Corolla
Fortuner
This will be a marketing challenge.
Old 4th June 2005, 01:53   #52

can i get to see the new toyota Fortuner pics
Old 5th June 2005, 00:46   #53
BHPian

Hey guyz ...
This news has come from the Kirloskar clan ..
I guess that is good enuf for it to be genuine .. It so happened that i was discussing with someone regarding my plans of waiting till Oct and buying one .. Thats when the bomb came in ... And the reason told was this ... I too hope that Toyota makes ammedments in this strategy of theirs ...
This is my reasoning behind the strategy...
I guess they arent geared up enuf to handle manufacturning of 2 models at the moment and hence if they bring it in CBU form then vehicle cost will go up ... which will be like the camry where they lost to the accord on account of price....
Old 6th June 2005, 00:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
I guess they arent geared up enuf to handle manufacturning of 2 models at the moment and hence if they bring it in CBU form then vehicle cost will go up ... which will be like the camry where they lost to the accord on account of price....
Evo, You are making sense mate.. We all know that TKML is having its hands full with the success of the Innova.. The waiting queues are as long as an unbelievable 4-6 months.. I am sure, that the Innovah has succeeded beyond the wildest dreams of TKML.. I've also heard that TKML is looking to open up another plant somewhere else in karnataka to be able to meet the demand - supply imbalance and is looking for clearance from the government.. The news is that this plant will be away from Bangalore as TKML is also facing labour problems in its Bidadi plant near Bangalore..

I am guessing that Toyota will need atleast 4-5 months after the new plant is approved by the government to get production in full swing.. Since we are already in June now, it seems unlikely that TKML will be able to bring in the Fortuner this year..

So its Good-Bye Fortuner from me..
Old 28th June 2007, 18:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner

When is Toyota Fortuner coming to India? Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 28th June 2007, 23:17   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
When is Toyota Fortuner coming to India? Any ideas?
Thanks.
All the magazines have given up on that, and now says its not coming soon. may be end 2008 or early 2009.
Old 28th June 2007, 23:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nobody knows about it. A lot of people and magazines speculated on several dates and finally gave up speculating. There would be a long line of people to buy Fortuner if it is launched today but it appears to me that Toyota is only interested in selling Innova and doesn't care about making more moolah!
Old 28th June 2007, 23:45   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

The last I'd read abt this in ET, they'd said Toyota had dropped plans for the Fortuner
Old 29th June 2007, 00:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

For those scratching their head to undersand what a Fortuner is ... Its on the same Innova - IMV Platform however a SUV body shape. Was aimed to be launched in early 2006 in the price range of 9-12L ...

Looks like Toyota have gone mum on it and scrapped plans.
Old 29th June 2007, 00:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The last I'd read abt this in ET, they'd said Toyota had dropped plans for the Fortuner
yes very true. Now their focus is on small car segment. this is the only way left to capture 10% market share in India by 2010.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks