Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 01:10   #61
BHPian

I hope they dont launch Fortuner, better concentrate on medium size car.

We have enough congestion already.

I wouldnt mind if they launch something like Scion stuff
Old 29th June 2007, 01:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

I think they will follow the Qualis strategy and release the Fortuner when it is very much a 20 year old design.

They could have cornered a good share of the RS10lakh+ SUV market but chose otherwise.
Old 29th June 2007, 11:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

I feel Toyota is concentrating more on brining small car in 1 year from now and also Hybrid car in 2 years from now.

I heard for now they dropped the plan because only car lovers and guys who give importance to technically sound car would buy Fortuner because its same or more than Innova platform. It will be difficult for Toyota Fortuner to compete with Safari and Scorpio in terms of price. Since Innova creates new segment ( not SUV but more like CAR) its attracting people from multiple segments. I feel Toyota is happy with Innova instead of taking chance with Fortuner thats why no plans to discontinue no upgrades (I guess it don't need any more upgrade unless they can change its exterior shape ) its best seller for the next at leats 2 years!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th June 2007, 11:31   #64
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
For those scratching their head to undersand what a Fortuner is ... Its on the same Innova - IMV Platform however a SUV body shape. Was aimed to be launched in early 2006 in the price range of 9-12L ...

Looks like Toyota have gone mum on it and scrapped plans.
I fail to understand Toyota's reasoning. If assembled in India, it wouldnt be the most expensive vehicle to make. And that means 9-12L is a real possibility. A toyota SUV at that price range would start a revolution.

Look what Tata did with the dicor..
Old 29th June 2007, 19:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thats true MaserQ but there must be good reason why Toyota not coming up with Fortuner, They do lot of market study before they introduce any new model because may be their plan is to always in profits and not interested to take any risk.

Ravi.
Old 29th June 2007, 19:53   #67
Team-BHP Support

it would also have eaten into the innovas market share if it was priced around the 10 lac region. then only the bottom end innovas would have been selling and that too for the taxi segment. and toyota wanted to position the innova as a more upmarket muv than the qualis.
Old 29th June 2007, 20:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

The delay could primarily be because of;

A) Production constraints,
B) Indegenisation issues, &
C) Powerplant issues; Toyota were in 2 minds regarding the 3.0 D-4D; they wanted to launch the Fortuner with the Innova powertrain, to combat cost issues.

Apparently, they've dropped that idea. We will see the 3.0 D4D Fortuner for sure. It's just a matter of time.

But perhaps that time might cost Toyota a lot more than they bargained for, since the 2.2 litre 140 bhp Tata X2 & the Captiva would be out by then...
Old 5th July 2007, 22:31   #69
BHPian

Toyota will soon launch the Fortuner. Surely it will be priced well above the Innovas. For the 3 Lit engine we do not have the fuel in India. But well Toyota is taking time to tune the engine for Indian Fuel. But for sure if Fortuner is launched ...........there will be no competition.
Old 6th July 2007, 07:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Toyota will soon launch the Fortuner.
Is this a conjecture or you know it for sure. Please quote your sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
But perhaps that time might cost Toyota a lot more than they bargained for, since the 2.2 litre 140 bhp Tata X2 & the Captiva would be out by then...
Tatas can never match Toyotas reliability and GM will have tough time matching Toyota's pricing so whenever it comes out, it will sell like hot cakes.

Quote:
Surely it will be priced well above the Innovas. For the 3 Lit engine we do not have the fuel in India. But well Toyota is taking time to tune the engine for Indian Fuel. But for sure if Fortuner is launched ...........there will be no competition.
Absolutely. The question that begs to be asked is "Is Toyota Interested or have they dropped their plans altogether?"
Old 7th July 2007, 16:20   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

i feel toyota will be launching this car in the CRV,ENDAVEOUR,VITARA bracket so the pricing should be around 15 lakhs ....
Old 14th August 2007, 12:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

I have heard that the pricing will be between 10-14L, killing the GV instantly.

But I have also heard that they have capacity issues on this and are not going to launch it in near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
i feel toyota will be launching this car in the CRV,ENDAVEOUR,VITARA bracket so the pricing should be around 15 lakhs ....
Old 14th August 2007, 16:01   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hmmm looking at the Innova pricing scale, Fortuner options may be along these lines:

3. Option 2 - Option 1 plus half decent stereo, power windows, rear window demister, 50% of seats in fabric, additional blower for rear seats, tilt seats for 2nd row, headrests for 2nd row, clock, central locking (maybe remote but dont bet on it), child lock - 12.99 lakhs

4. Option 3 - Option 2 plus 4wd selectable, mp3 stereo in dash cd player (!), power mirrors, rear wash and wipe, full fabric seats, climate control hvac, individual a/c controls for all rows with condensor, bumpers painted in contrasting colours, metallic paint, alloy wheels, height adjustment for driver's seat, tilt steering, rear window wash and wipe, headlamp wash and wipe, tow hook, winch mount, yaw & tilt indicator, fog lamps, leather seats, dimming door and courtesy lamps, remote central locking with theft alarm, lumbar support for seats, fake wood and chrome inserts on dashboard, temperature sensor and some information (FE, Range, etc) on the ICE, anti glare mirrors, and all the bells and whistles - 14.5 lakhs.

PS: This is a piece of fiction, not to be taken seriously.
steer don't know how i missed this one.....lol!
your option 3 has full fabric seats as well as leather seats....

but most people here including myself would love the 'highlighted in bold' feature in option 2.
hope she's japanese (fingers crossed) .
Old 30th August 2007, 16:18   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I have heard that the pricing will be between 10-14L, killing the GV instantly.

But I have also heard that they have capacity issues on this and are not going to launch it in near future.

News of arrival of Fortuner has been there for long, I am not able to make out when Toyota will market this vehicle in India. I had enquired with somebody here in Toyota factory (Bidadi, Bangalore), they said that capacity in Bidadi factory is getting upgraded and Fortuner may be available in 2008. I had to take this with a pinch of salt as companies keep their product launches news confidential until the marketing campaign is launched.

Any other thoughts from people with insider connections. I would love to see this vehicle being available and am eager to hear about its launch date.
Old 11th September 2007, 18:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

Waiting since ages...with no news

Hi Guys,

I have seen this vehicle in Thailand and was in love with it at the first sight....

eagerly awaiting its launch since past 1 yr, no idea , no dates, only speculations on its launch/delay.....

How can toyota do this....Ford is making big money on the endeavour (here) while Toyota is busy studying the market....

I am holding on with my money to buy the car once its launched....but for how long.... no idea.... now thinking Scorpio would be better (Dicor doesnt match upto expectations)......

Toyota u will lose one of your most admiring customer... better hurry up.....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed