Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2005, 23:41   #1
BHPian

Please advise SOS: Moving car from Chennai to Mumbai

Hi Team,

Need some serious advice / information. To cut a long story short:

1. I own a Getz GLS - 6 months old. Date of purchase: 23.12.04. Place of purchase: Chennai.
2. Personal circumstances demand that I relocate to Mumbai from my current haunt, Chennai. And I have to do this soon!

That's the situation. Now:

Question: Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what it's going to cost me to move my car to Mumbai? Horror stories I've heard so far have included mentions of frightening amounts of money that I have to pay for octroi, life tax and registration. Can anyone give me a breakup of how much each of these will be in terms of outlay?

Question: Also, any idea how much it costs to truck a car from Chennai to Mumbai along with my other luggage? Or would you suggest I drive it down?

Question: Will I by any chance, get a refund of a part of the life tax I have already paid here when I brought the car?

Question: Or do you suggest that all of the above is just not worth the time, effort or money and that I should just try and sell the car here? (That noise you just heard is the delicate sound of my heart breaking at the thought of selling my first car...) If so, how much do you guys think I would get for the car now?

I'd really appreciate your help, Team. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th May 2005, 23:51   #2
BHPian

Question: Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what it's going to cost me to move my car to Mumbai? Horror stories I've heard so far have included mentions of frightening amounts of money that I have to pay for octroi, life tax and registration. Can anyone give me a breakup of how much each of these will be in terms of outlay?

Answer : Cost will be 5.5% Octroi and 4% Registration Tax of car value

Question: Also, any idea how much it costs to truck a car from Chennai to Mumbai along with my other luggage? Or would you suggest I drive it down?

Answer : Better contact a Trucking company for that... Its needs to be loaded properly and locked in place you might find dents ... Better Drive

Question: Will I by any chance, get a refund of a part of the life tax I have already paid here when I brought the car?

Answer : Get a NOC from Chennai RTO and then get the car registered in Mumbai and then after that cancel the old registration and apply for refund in Chennai... Depending you will get your refund after min 6 months.. Atleast thats how it works in MH RTO

Question: Or do you suggest that all of the above is just not worth the time, effort or money and that I should just try and sell the car here? (That noise you just heard is the delicate sound of my heart breaking at the thought of selling my first car...) If so, how much do you guys think I would get for the car now?

Answer : Well if u have a residence in Chennai then you can always tell the cops if u get caught that you have come here for some work and will be going back. Lot of cars in mumbai with cars registered in other states.. Havent really ever had a problem .. I used to have a Maruti 1000 registered in Goa and i was driving in Pune and Bombay.. Was never caught ...
Another Friend from Bangalore shifted to pune 4 years back .. Has a car reg. KA but been driving in MH for over 3 years .. No problem..
All you have to do is that you have a registered house or business in the state where the car is registered...
Old 25th May 2005, 00:17   #3
SMG
BHPian

It is difficult to find a reliable Trucker who can transport your car from Chennai to Mumbai. Expect some kind of damage to your car for sure.

If you have time then consider driving it from Chennai to Mumbai, you may consider hiring a good driver.

If you are going to stay in Mumbai (or Maharashtra, for that matter) for more than a year then you have to re register your car with MH RTO. Of course you can get refund on your taxes you paid in TN.

I don't know whether a used car (of personal use) will attract any Octroi duty, it shouldn't be.

Paying legitimate taxes is our duty as a good citizen. Not doing that and further paying money to cops we are just helping corruption and in the process becoming a part of it.

Selling the car doesn't sound good. You'll loose money at the end.

Last edited by SMG : 25th May 2005 at 00:20.
Old 25th May 2005, 09:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

It will be much better to drive to Mumbai. Otherwise you may aswell contact some goods transport like Movers & Packers but will be way too expensive

And it will also be good if you re-register your car in Mumbai (If you are living for more than one year) You might think at first you will get away with it but if you get caught the damage will be much more (recently heard on Aaj Tak that Abhishek Bacchan was fined heavily for driving Delhi registered car in Mumbai)

@EVO6 : you can get away with it but bottom line is its breaking the law which makes you criminal.
Old 25th May 2005, 09:23   #5
BHPian

Neverclever,

It cost me 13K to truck a car from Mumbai to Chennai. The truck had 4-5 cars in it. Everytime time a car needs to be loaded/unloaded on the way, the truckie (if u are lucky) or the "cleaner" loads/unloads your car. If you want a truck exclusively for your car, it'll cost 25K.

Damages: Broken ignition switch (not key), dead battery, 2 weeks delay, wet rear seat (they removed it from the car to sleep in, out in the open), broken exhaust from driving up/down the ramp.

Learn from my mistake, DRIVE to Mumbai!!

I know of lots of folks driving out of state cars in Mumbai, but your call.

Gears,
Red-One
Old 25th May 2005, 09:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude, pm me if u need help...i have some contacts for transportation .
Old 25th May 2005, 13:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
It will be much better to drive to Mumbai. Otherwise you may aswell contact some goods transport like Movers & Packers but will be way too expensive

And it will also be good if you re-register your car in Mumbai (If you are living for more than one year) You might think at first you will get away with it but if you get caught the damage will be much more (recently heard on Aaj Tak that Abhishek Bacchan was fined heavily for driving Delhi registered car in Mumbai)

@EVO6 : you can get away with it but bottom line is its breaking the law which makes you criminal.
Adya,
Well you know a way to get around this without paying ...
Just get a petrol slip with car registration no. written on it or some Toll slip from KA every 2 months ..
Thats a proof that the car had left bombay and has come back ...
Stupid rules these RTO's have ...
Since it is not a central policy thats why there are problems...
This problem doesnt exist in other countries when you leave from one state to another ...
Old 25th May 2005, 15:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Once tried for reregistration from Chennai to Bangalore. Left it halfway with endrosment in the Registration Certificate for NOC to transfer. We were asked to pay around Rs.40K by Karnataka RTO ( govt fees) & dropped that idea to sell it in Chennai itself. The other problem would be coordinating the same. There are chances that RTO in mumbai will ask some signature or papers from Chennai RTO, which will cause you mental stress.

Driving the vehicle without redoing the registration in Mumbai is going to cause you time and pain ( atleast this happens in Chennai). Just imagine if you landed up dashing with other vehicles and you need to report to the police station ( Quoting this just for example), the first question that arises is "Have it not been reregistered". Why to give a chance for this.

But also do remember that selling GETZ at this point of time is going to be a massive task unless it was sold to a dealer (dealers will ask for throwaway price). This is due to launch of Swift.

If transfering the vehicle fetches you marginally higher figure, just ignore it and sell the vehicle in Chennai itself.

Just calculate the cost of these both and exercise the best out of it
Old 26th May 2005, 12:27   #9
BHPian

PM me for transport and relocation of your luggage from Chennai to Mumbai. Can do it professionally for you from a Relocation Company in Chennai.

Thanks
Old 18th July 2005, 15:24   #10
BHPian

Hello Neverclever,

Have you relocated to Mumbai with your car ? And did you get the RTO work done in Mumbai?

Reason for asking this is that I too have shifted my car to Mumbai (from Kolkata) but yet to get the paperworks done... incase you have got it done, can you advise me on the expense (taxes/registration charges/Entry tax etc.)... and time taken. Incase you had taken help from any 3rd person/co., can you provide with their name/number , if they were good?

You can PM me or post reply here so that it can be of help to any other BHPians wanting to relocate their car.

Thanks
Arijit
Old 18th July 2005, 19:02   #11
BHPian

Dude, if you drive it in,
a long drive i know,
But you will for a while at least manage to aviod the Octrio & re-re of the car
I have trucked a car from cal, and it was a bloody pain.
Paid the octroi or something- wasnt around when this happened
But drive with a WB plate- no probs
The cops are more Gung ho if you have a car froma low tax state!!!!!!

Other option if you dont wanna drive
- truck the car to outside Vashi/ Thane address
Then from there, just drive it into Bombay!!
the whole fuel bill idea is a great one!!
Old 18th July 2005, 19:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

you ar e getting a genuine excuse to drive your car on a longggggggggg one.what are you waiting for.

forget the transport.drive man drive!!!!!!!
Old 19th July 2005, 14:30   #13
BHPian

Hi Revvhead...
My car is already in Mumbai... (am in Kolkata though..official handover period!!) Will be in Mumbai full & finally during Aug 2nd week.
I went through the RTO website of Maharashtra.. only points I could decipher are :

01.Pay Entry tax (if vehicle is <30mnths)..mine is just 6 months ..so I need to pay. But How much?

02.Re-registration - not required if staying for below 1yr (I have to think about a way out here as already too much money drained out shifting the car & household goods)

03.Octroi : Not clear on this

04.Road Tax : Pay if staying over 3 months (or was that 6mnths??).. how much is this?

# Other ideas ... keep on making a fresh transfer or deputation copy every 3 months from your office stating you have just been transferred or deputed to Mumbai ( but I dont know how feasible this would be)
Old 19th July 2005, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Well at the Moment, play the ignore them till they look for you game ! !!
Old 19th July 2005, 17:12   #15
BHPian

as said, the best thing is to drive urself. In case u think u wont be able to drive it that long, take a friend's driver along, and send him back via the Bus!

Secondly, as u will still be having friends and contacts in chennai, just ask them to keep sending u latest fuel bills time to time from Chennai. best is to keep a one month old bill handy, to show that it hasnt been u long here. Selling away Getz at this time is really a bad idea. coz of the launch of Swift, and also coz people still are not aware of how magnificient a car the GETZ is! so they dont value it that much. Hyundai's charging high, coz they know. Ppl buying that, coz they know!

hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks