Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Cars priced over 8L should come with mandatory safety gears

IMHO, all the car sold in India which cost over 8L should come with mandatory safety gears like ABS,Airbag, Proxmity warning clubbed with cruise control etc. Reason being that cars sold in India over 8L range are engines capable of doing good speeds in a jiffy. Adding to trouble would be an insane driver trying to show his gut and super humanly instincts resulting in an impounding crash. I am not telling that lesser priced cars dont meet similar fate, but I believe they atleast take some time to reach such good speeds, which to me looks like a decent proposition which I call 'throttling' capability. Sorry for mixing software engineering term with automobile lingo.

Just saw a Optra crash pictures from our infamous thread 'Accidents in India'. People may have survived 'if' safety gears were in place. Guys would have potentially paid lots to buy a car like that (I believe Optra is sold at around 8-9L) with limited safety gears. Optra is known to have engine capable of putting up 104@5,800 rpm. Don't you guys feel that cars with such power are more vulnerable for trouble in Indian roads in the hands of drivers trying to show their gut.

I had seen one terrible accident myself three years back on my way to Tirupati from Bangalore, it was early in the morning, 4 am maybe. This insane ******* in Honda City Vtec driving crazily may have rammed into incoming truck. This guys was doing a speed which to me looked like 150kmph plus and had performed an overtaking manoeuver by my side some 30 mins earlier. This guy would have tried to steer to right seeing truck in front him cruising without tail lights and ended up ramming into an incoming truck. This is my analogy because car was perpendicular to the road and seeing the truck parked on the side of the road. I was driving Indigo then and I do not drive my car beyond 100 kmph even when I see clear road till date, another reason is my car is aint capable of catching up good speed even with turbo kicking in. I completly blame that ***hole driver for killing his family. His fellow passengers where thrown out of the car only to be overrun by incoming trucks. All I could do was to inform the police control room. It's over 3 years now and yet I wake up in the middle of the night. My wife gets shivers when ever she hears of car accident since then.

I am sure if proper safety gears where in place that family would have been saved. I feel cars capable of doing good speeds (in a jiffy) should come with some kind of proximity warning with vehicles in the front of them, so that drivers are kept informed before hand when driving in dark, in highways of course. In city, guys will go crazy if having such an gear.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive/Foul language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th April 2009 at 13:07. Reason: see note in post
Old 27th April 2009, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why 8 lakhs? I think the safety equipments should be mandatory in all the cars. A life is a life, doesn't matter if you have spent 8 lakhs or 4 lakhs.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:50   #3
BHPian

Basic safety equipments should be mandatory in all the cars irrespective of their prices, if not the cruise control or TCS or other safety gadgets required for high spec'd engines.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:57   #4
BHPian

Ouch, wall of text.

Many reasons
1) Messed up segments
2) Incompetent governace, why do think cars with ABS here are sold as if it's some great relic that only the deserving can have in thier cars
3) Whats so special about 8L cars? Our hatches can keep up with them. Look at the Swift and Getz CRDi, surely they can keep up with any of our stock sedans under 10L
4) Forget ABS/EBD, some trucks on our highways don't even have tail lights so.. :s

But no, we don't care about all that, we just want cars for as cheap as they can be sold, and manufacturers oblige. To hell with safety in this country. WE as a people need to change first.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:58   #5
BHPian

I think it should be mandatory at all price ranges. Not only 8L plus. I also think, the older cars (like M800 etc.) without any safety features should be retired immediately.
Old 27th April 2009, 14:11   #6
BHPian

more than this, how many people drive the car with Seat belts eventhough seat belts are provided, Airbag's inflate only with Seat belts ON that's why it is called as SRS(Supplimentery restraing system).

eventhough car makers are provinding good Active and passive safety how many drivers follow rules and not over speed.

I would blame on Road safety awareness among people, how many time have you seen taxi drivers drive insane speed without even bother about passengers? they need to be educated.

The only possibility for reducing accidents is to create high Road safety awarness and strict measures who deviate from road safety rules.

I am not against providing adequate safety features in cars but the major part in avoiding accidents is within drivers and car safety playes very less role in avoiding impact to passengers but not completely.

imagine a car with complete safety features driving at 150-200 Kmph and dashing opp vehicle and i am sure there is very less chance of survivel for both, whom to blame here, is it the vehicle for not providing adequate safety?

So, my take is Road Safety awarness is vital for reducing accidents.

-MUKE
Old 27th April 2009, 14:34   #7
BHPian

Apart from Road Safety Awareness there should also be strict implementation of rules as most of the accidents are due to reckless driving.

For example in the US we have the points system. For every mistake that you make, like jumping a red signal etc you get points. If you accumalate more than 12 points your License is suspended immediately.

Majority( more than 95%) would stick to the rules. Its not only about points, it also affects your insurance cost. More the points, the cost of your insurance goes up

The same kind of system needs to be implemented in India, else we will continue to have reckless driving.

One good thing that has happened of late in Chennai is the Cameras at Traffic signals. To an extent this has stopped people from jumping signals as the fine is over Rs 1000.
Old 27th April 2009, 14:47   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
Basic safety equipments should be mandatory in all the cars irrespective of their prices, if not the cruise control or TCS or other safety gadgets required for high spec'd engines.
In India, many cost-conscious people are using a car for traveling from point A to B (mainly in the sub-urban areas and villages). They are not spirited drivers who drive at 120 KMPH.

For a car with safety features like ABS, Airbags etc, an additional cost of Rs 50,00 to 1,00,000 occur. That amount is a waste for these kind of customers. (though I agree that accidents can occur by others' mistake also).

So, I think these safety features should be - and must be - available as an option. If the customer takes his car to extreme conditions, let them opt for these features. Let other cost-conscious people buy the trimmed version.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th April 2009 at 14:50.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:38   #9
BHPian

@ romeomidhun And what about someone else who's a spirited driver in a bigger car/truck hitting these A-B types?

Cars need safety equipment and its not just about ABS, airbags. How many models in India dont even have side impact beams, proper front crumple zones and collapsible steerings which are not as expensive but boons in case of accidents.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So, I think these safety features should be - and must be - available as an option. If the customer takes his car to extreme conditions, let them opt for these features. Let other cost-conscious people buy the trimmed version.
+1 here. Its impractical to say it should be mandatory for all models, but as an option it can be made mandatory.

And why limit it to 8L+ cars? Let the government insist that all cars currently selling should have airbags and ABS as an option.
Old 27th April 2009, 17:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

ABS/Airbags should be made mandatory and I am sure it will happen soon. Its only a matter of time.

Remember those times when higher end models with "i" markings were the only cars with Power Steering. Now... Its a different scene. Same would happen with ABS/Airbags. Till then the manufacturers will be happy looting
Old 27th April 2009, 17:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
For a car with safety features like ABS, Airbags etc, an additional cost of Rs 50,00 to 1,00,000 occur. That amount is a waste for these kind of customers. (though I agree that accidents can occur by others' mistake also).

I agree, and for most cars the top-of-the-line model is usually fully equipped with all these safety features while every premium car has these as standard equipment.

BTW, wonder how much it costs to replace the airbags in India compared to other countries where all these features are a must?
Old 27th April 2009, 17:31   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
@ romeomidhun And what about someone else who's a spirited driver in a bigger car/truck hitting these A-B types?
Yes, I've mentioned it in my previous post. If an A-B car is hit by a truck, nothing - not even airbags - will help, but only God can help!

But, being very much alert while driving, will definitely help a lot to avoid these 'spirited and careless' drivers. The rule here is to 'expect the unexpected' at any time.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th April 2009 at 17:35.
Old 27th April 2009, 19:03   #14
BHPian

First of all this association of accidents with speed is misguided. Event a stationary or slow moving car can be rammed, safety features are essential and its unfortunate that this should be derailed by talk of irresponsible drivers, high speed driving, some individuals not wearing seat belts or even something totally self labelled as driver skill.

Second the logic of just because B is not there there is no point of A is a logical fallacy, for instance poor conditions of our roads and traffic for instance missing back lights in most commercial trucks doesn't mean we should not have airbags. Those things are unfortunate as is the absence of safety features most countries take for granted in our cars. Safety features always help, people losing lives because of absence of things like air bags is needless. These things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 27th April 2009, 20:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
... poor conditions of our roads and traffic for instance missing back lights in most commercial trucks doesn't mean we should not have airbags. Those things are unfortunate as is the absence of safety features most countries take for granted in our cars. Safety features always help, people losing lives because of absence of things like air bags is needless. These things are not mutually exclusive.
+1 to that, I think all 4 wheel vehicles need appropriate safety gear, which protects the occupants to the best ability of the structure. While it may be novel to have cheapest cars in the world, just saying that city running cars dont expect to have big accidents and so we will not provide safety equipment in the name of cost, is not the right thing to do.

I understand in Nano's case, since the philosophy is to be a step-up from 2-wheelers, its far more safe even without the safety gear. However, for any car meant for proper transport and even an occasional highway drive, safety features must be mandatory.

Even within cities, numerous cases of drunk or rash driving, esp. at night can be recalled, and the victims can often be sane and proper drivers, hurt in part because their vehicle not just couldnt protect them, but in many cases accentuated injuries.

Most Viewed