Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 19:24   #1
BHPian

Is it time the Swift Petrol gets a new engine and new body?

Hi Guys,

The Swift Petrol has been a huge success since 2005 and has made every other car in its class eat dust notably viz Getz, Palio and UVA

People cribbed about the low mileage of the swift and lack of back space but then they didnt have much choice as the trouble free experience of MUL was too much of a factor

The launch of the i10 did eat into their numbers, mostly the mileage consious people moved to the i10

The launch of the Ritz with the 1.2 KB series engine was mainly meant to be a competitor for the i10 and I think it will definitely spoil the party for i10.

But more importantly I think it will heavily cannibalize the Petrol swift.
The 1.2 ltr KB series engine is much more fuel efficient and equally powerful than the esteem engined swift. Spacewise too Ritz will be not very bad compared to swift.

So I think the glorious period for swift is going to come to an end soon and unless they work on more powerful yet fuel efficient 1.4 Ltr KB series engine for the swift with a rework on its body to provide more space.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 27th April 2009, 19:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Swift is catering to "Young at heart" families", while the Ritz would cater to 'large at waist" families. Which Maruti Hatch apart from the lovely Zen has been discontinued before it completed a decade? Swift still has 5 more years before maruti decides to bring in a successor or a large change in tooling/paneling.
Old 27th April 2009, 19:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

A new K-Series engine is already on its way and there is no need to change the looks because it still looks striking on the road.
Old 27th April 2009, 20:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ritz wont be eating into swift as it is more costly than the swift and swift already has an image which i bet no other car would be in a position to beat.Ritz is spacious than the swift but looks wise more sedate.Swift has a take it or leave it looks.AFAIK no immediate plans for change of engine in the immediate future,

cheers
ram
Old 27th April 2009, 20:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Ritz wont be eating into swift as it is more costly than the swift
cheers
ram
Are you sure about that? I thought it is going to be pitted in between wagon r and swift

But then I might be wrong. I feel they might at best price it very close to swift but definitely below it may be about 50k less.

They are going to have better margins with Ritz because it is a 1.2 ltr engine and gets the lower excise duty benefit
Old 27th April 2009, 21:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nooo no no no, stow the body redesign and such frivolities.

Bring. the. Sport. Do you hear, Maruti? We want that monstrous 1.6L in our lives.
Old 27th April 2009, 21:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think Next gen Swift will be launched next year.Its supposed to be heading to US market in 2010, so we should expect it anytime after that. Please do something to the Dzire's design MUL!!!
Old 27th April 2009, 22:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

And the swift's back seat space. Its too crrruumppppeedd.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Bring. the. Sport. Do you hear, Maruti? We want that monstrous 1.6L in our lives.
+1 to that. There has to be an upgrade.

The sport is a beauty. Any specific reason as to why Maruti is not looking into this option. Its been 4 years since the swift has been launched here.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
+1 to that. There has to be an upgrade.

The sport is a beauty. Any specific reason as to why Maruti is not looking into this option. Its been 4 years since the swift has been launched here.
Yes, 1.6 litre swift sport would definately be an affordable dream for us. But I don't think there is any probability that MUL will lauch it here, how many palio 1.6 did Fiat and how many corsa sail 1.6 did Opel managed to sell afterall?
We are a group of petrol-heads/performance freaks here, but still the majority of car-buyers in India still stick to their 'average kitna hai?' factor before taking a decision.
So a small hatch, with decent power, excellent handeling but low FE and space coupled with a high price tag, can be safely regarded as a recipie for Disaster for the manufacturer (even if its MUL) and hence no plans for the excellent swift sport. Our market has not developed enough.

Regards.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:48   #11
BHPian

Definitely needs new engine, since day 1 already!

Not yet bored with the Exteriors.

Would like to see interiors updated. (fix window design rattles, split rear seat, better door cover panel, a properly designed arm rest - not in the form of accessory that doesn't fit correctly, and other interiors like dash and centre console made of soft plastic mold, not hard plastic)

--------------------------------
Regarding "Sport"

MUL dont have to really bring the "real sport"

They can plug in the 1.5 of SX4, with minor cosmetic changes and call it a Sport.

Good enough for me........and..........Less headache for MUL.

What say?

Last edited by aerohit : 27th April 2009 at 23:00.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:55   #12
xPK
BHPian

Fine with the current design. 1.6L heart and some nice interiors, I won't be waiting till december.
Old 27th April 2009, 23:04   #13
BHPian

I agree. The 1.6 L would be welcome. And for heavens sake, MUL, stop giving us reprocessed plastic buckets for panels and put in something that feels, smells and looks better.
Old 27th April 2009, 23:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yes, 1.6 litre swift sport would definately be an affordable dream for us. But I don't think there is any probability that MUL will lauch it here, how many palio 1.6 did Fiat and how many corsa sail 1.6 did Opel managed to sell afterall?

Regards.
Well, Palio 1.6 is still selling. They have not stopped it. Now with the sales that Maruti sees with regular swift (and any other model), they can afford to sell a hot hatch with limited numbers.
Maruti can always do it. They created the high selling premium hatch segment (now the bar has been raised though).
Old 28th April 2009, 00:23   #15
BHPian

New swift is coming, chill.

Nothing even comes close to the numbers swift has done so it has no successors other than the new swift.

To hell with the premium hatch bs our markets have cooked up! The swift invented that concept in India, and the new swift with a bigger engine is eagerly waited, maruti are you listening?

Last edited by Gagan.js : 28th April 2009 at 00:26.

Most Viewed