Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 02:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

I think if volkswagen launched a Sedan version of the 2009 Polo it will sell better (in the 7-10 lakhs category).Looks solid,chunky and brilliant in red.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Will the VW Polo get the same engine options of Fabia??
Senior management of VW globally has been quoted in Car India as saying the two brands will not share engines. The VW engines will be TSI/ Common rail, unlike the Fabia which will stick to HTP/ PD. Capacities will be similar though.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:53   #33
BHPian

Very nice car. I'd love to have the Polo GTi but I guess thats wishful thinking.
Old 30th April 2009, 15:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

VW and Fiat are 2 different cars and cant be compared.
One has German perfection and other has Italian elegance.
One has reliability and other has drivability.
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Another article on the polo.
Source: Zigwheels The VW Polo gets rolling - News- Zigwheels

I am excited!

cheers
__________________________________________________ ______________

Polo Preproduction cars getting ready-vwpolocar.jpgPolo Preproduction cars getting ready-polocar.jpg

Spread across 575 acres, the Volkswagen Chakan plant was inaugurated on 31st March, 2009. The state-of-the-art facility was constructed in a span of seventeen months with the total financial commitment of Rs 3,800 crore by Volkswagen India Pvt. Ltd. It currently hosts 720 workers under its roof. With 35% automated manufacturing, it is still not entirely comparable to the Volkswagen plants in Germany which are 98% automated but the Indian facility is technologically well-armed to produce 1,10,000 cars annually.

The plant began with its pre-series production of the new Polo yesterday, which will be ready for launch in India by 2010. The first finished body of the Polo was rolled to the paint shop by the hands of Dr. Philipp Rosler, Minister of Economics, Labour and Transportation of the German Federal State of Lower Saxony. This was a pre-run to the official production of the new Polo scheduled to commence at the Chakan plant by end of 2009. The new Polo will be a premium hatchback offering from Volkswagen and it will be specifically tailored for the Indian market. The car will be launched with three engine options namely - two petrol variants and one diesel variant. All the Polo models sold in India will come equipped with air-condition unlike the European market where the base versions of the Polo do not feature air-conditioning.

The ground clearance will also be increased on the models sold in India and the final model of the Polo to be sold in India will be unveiled at the Auto Expo in New Delhi, next year. The car will be available in silver, white, red and blue colours and the company officials are also contemplating on introducing an orange paint scheme for India to go with the sporty image of the Polo. Quality control is one of the key areas that the company is focusing on and all the quality checks will be strictly undertaken at the manufacturing level before the Polo hits series production at the plant. The idea behind this approach is to make sure that the problems are not high-lighted at the cost of the end-user.

Speaking to the media, Jorg Muller, President and Managing Director of Volkswagen Group India said, "We will begin with 50% localisation of the new Polo in India and then gradually increase the local content to 80% over the period of next two years. The plant has begun its operations a year ahead of its schedule and we are well on our way to fulfilling our commitment towards to the Indian market." Sales for the Polo in India will start sometime around June 2010 while the series production of the Polo will commence by the end of this year at the Chakan plant.

Immediate on cards is the production of the Skoda Fabia which will begin from next month onwards at the plant. By this year-end the company will also hire 280 more employees taking the total number of workers to 1,000. By the end of 2010, this number will be raised to 2,500 employees at the Chakan plant. Muller also said that the company is open to setting up a vendor park inside the premises of the Chakan plant and is currently in talks with a couple of local as well as international vendors for the same reason.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:26   #36
BHPian

polo i think will get all the bells and whistles. like FATC. touchscreen ICE, DSG gearbox. TSI engine. six airbags?? who knows. but they will price it the level of what fabia is priced today. they can add these goodies because of higher localisation.

in fabia they wont lower the price too much. they still want to put that premiusm image on it. what they will do is pass on the benefit to buyers. by making ABS standard on all variants. they already have airbags std on all variants. now abs will be std too. this is what i feel.
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:06   #37
BHPian

sounds good, hopefully we can soon see the golf hot hatches in india :-)
Old 18th May 2009, 00:43   #38
BHPian

some good news reported in the Business Standard (dont know how true it is)

Quote:
Market sources say German carmaker Volkswagen is planning to advance the launch of the Polo hatchback to the end of this calendar year from the earlier announced date of early 2010. Though the company’s dealers are not informed about the likely price tag, the car is planned to meet a scheduled launch of December 2009, they say. However, there was no confirmation from the company.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

We just have little over a week to go, still we are not sure about the engine choices on Polo.

Guys where are the Scoops ...

Edited: Wrongly posted on this thread Moderators move it to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...1-23-a-37.html

Last edited by tj123 : 28th December 2009 at 11:36.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Excellent. The Polo is a car that has a huge potential. It can easily dominate if VW plays its cards well with this one. And to those buying it, make sure you get those 17 inch alloys that the car in the previous page has. It looks awesome!!
Old 28th December 2009, 11:43   #41
BHPian

I saw some German registered Left Hand drive Polos driving down Lakshmi Road,Pune (this is the main shopping areas of Pune City , very crowded usually). The day I saw the cars it was I think a Sunday morning. Those cars looked very impressive and if VW plays the price card right then I think Maruti , Hyundai and the other hatchback vendors will have to re-think their pricing too. I mean the car looks rock solid and spacious and has a commanding road presence.
If it goes the Fabia way then VW might not be looking at slow sales perhaps.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
We just have little over a week to go, still we are not sure about the engine choices on Polo.
like Andre Rodriguez wrote in the Dec issue of Top Gear, I want my Polo with a 1.8TSI engine with DSG paddle-shifters! I've got a 10L cheque waiting.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:11   #43
BHPian

^^^^^^^
I am ok with even a 1.2TSI engine. Bring it on
Old 28th December 2009, 12:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

I see no reason why FIAT should be bashed up in this thread.
Both are different products, each with their own set of pros and cons.

VW will, in all probabilities be priced more than the GP.
Also, being a new launch, one can certainly expect some fresh production niggles.

What about the A.S.S?
Is that in place in the face of launching a so called Mass Production car?
Old 28th December 2009, 13:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

The POLO costs 7,50,000 in UK. Imagine what it is going to cost in Inida?

Why doesn't someone tell the manufacturers that if they can't get a hatchback for less than 5 lakhs, please don't waste our time.

Looks like this one is going to promise to dissapoint. We don't need another FABIA and JAZZ competitor, we're looking to slash waiting periods on the SWIFT!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed