Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Chennai / TN Registered vehicle in Bangalore?

We are planning to gift one of our cars to my sister who is moving to bangalore.

She says a friend of her who moved to bangalore could not drive his car TN registered car in bang. for a long time. he had to pay fine often, even thou he had a NOC. So, he sold that car and got a new car in bang..

Is it true that we have to re-register car if we are planning to use the car for a long period in another state? If so, what would be the cost?
Old 28th April 2009, 11:28   #2
BHPian

Yes, what rule say is you will have to pay the Karnataka Road Tax - You can still retain the old TN number or change it to Karnataka number - that is your wish. But if you pay the tax here and you can show that to cops here every time they catch you...if you change the number, then they won't stop you...this rule applies to every state in India...
Old 28th April 2009, 11:38   #3
BHPian

how is the tax calculated for used car being tranfered from other state to karnataka?

say for e.g when i tranfer 5 lacs worth of used car do i need to pay the karnataka road tax for the cost of new car or the cost of used car?

how much is charged for re-registration in Bangalore?

-MUKE
Old 28th April 2009, 12:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

.....here is my story

All details can be found here

http://rto.kar.nic.in/to_os_veh.html

You need to get an NOC first which is endorsed on the RC book.

I bought a car from Mumbai last year - main reason being it was a rare car with low miles. I bought the car in early Dec 07. The NOC took a month. till then you need to keep proof of entry - transport invoice or toll bills and endure any harassment with the local RTO folks ! It happened once to me but the guy wanted money by quoting misfacts but i told him to get lost. Luckily I had another car so I left this off road

Next - you need to pay the tax. The RTO demands the original invoice to calculate the tax. Your car is approx 2 years old so it will be 87-93% of the lifetime tax that is approx 12% . Bear in mind, you can recover the mumbai life tax but reality is a lot different.

http://rto.kar.nic.in/TaxaAmen2008.pdf

The calculations of LTT is warped. They first created an amount almost the same as a new car. They slapped a penalty for no reason. I got around this since the AASI resubmitted but in reality they wanted a bribe.

Next comes the inspection - the inspector might be there or disappear. You need to wait unless you grease the machinery.

Tax was paid within two days. This process took approx one month after putting the papers in. You then need to wait for 45 days and then apply for re-reg. This takes another month.

Considering the cost of the LTT, it might be a lot easier to sell your car and buy something here unless you are very attached to your car and plan to keep it for a long time. Calculate

Cost of bring car + LTT paid vs cost of selling car + any addiitonal amount to buy a similar car.

Do the math and take a decision

Last edited by ajmat : 28th April 2009 at 12:13.
Old 28th April 2009, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Hi Archish,

My suggestion is to just not to try this ...I have been footballed earlier by RTO guys when I tried following the rule and was very honestly ready to pay the Road tax and the Commercial tax ( the vehicle was less than 18 months when I brought it from TN ).I had got the NOC even from TN RTO.I had to run from one end to another for paying money to government...Atlast I lost hope and just sent it back.To hell with all these

Last edited by KPGB : 28th April 2009 at 12:37.
Old 28th April 2009, 12:34   #6
BANNED

Please see this post for the procedure to pay road tax, irrespective of whether you want to re-register the vehicle or not.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1243151

I did not pay arrears or penalty.

Archish, everything depends on whether the car will be continuously in KA or will make periodic trips to TN. If the latter and your sister keeps the toll plaza receipts, there will be no problem. 2 of my TN registered vehicles have been used "non-continuously" in KA for nearly a year.

Edit: note that the tax (as a percentage of the original invoice value, and then depreciated) depends on the invoice value.

Tried to edit but time was up.

Tax is calculated as

Vehicles costing below 5 lakhs: 13.2%
Vehicles costing between 5-10 lakhs: 14.3%
Vehicles costing above 10 lakhs: 17.6%

(also see post by Samurai - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post980974)

Depreciation is then applied (see link provided by ajmat).

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2009 at 13:04. Reason: one logical post
Old 28th April 2009, 13:03   #7
knp
BHPian

I had moved to Bangalore from chennai and had many problems in using my TN registered Santro. Almost, every week, I used to pay something to the cops and here, it's not the amount that makes me feel sad, but the kind of harassment and wasting of my time..
so, finally, I got my car registration changed to Bangalore (KA 51), and I got this through a driving school..paid almost 45k (including KA road tax, address change, registration for my 2002 santro).
even now, I see the cops stopping many TN vehicles..and feel pity for them.

In bangalore, it's not just the problem with the cops, but it's not safer to go by your TN vehicle. If you hit someone or someone hits, you will be the soft target..

so, ur gift might turn to a nightmare to your sister!
Old 28th April 2009, 13:13   #8
BANNED

Very strange but contrary to popular experience, I never had any issues with either of my TN registered vehicles in Bangalore. I was stopped only once and was let go after I argued the vehicle had just entered KA the week before.

The irony is - after tax was paid for the Safari, every cop seems to spot & stop my vehicle and then salute as I show him the tax receipt photocopy
Old 28th April 2009, 13:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
Hi Archish,

My suggestion is to just not to try this ...I have been footballed earlier by RTO guys when I tried following the rule and was very honestly ready to pay the Road tax and the Commercial tax ( the vehicle was less than 18 months when I brought it from TN ).I had got the NOC even from TN RTO.I had to run from one end to another for paying money to government...Atlast I lost hope and just sent it back.To hell with all these
Road Tax is calculated with life of vehicle as 15 years (Thats why its called Life tax or Life Time tax[LTT])
If you move to a new state after x years, you need to get the 15-x years of LTT from you previous state, and pay for 15-x years tax in the new state.
Paying is easy, getting paid from govt is tough. If you are a local in the previous state, and have good contacts, it becomes very easy.
In the new state, paying is obviously easy.

If you are claiming refund, you get re-registered in new state.
In some cases, people may not go for re-registration. So they pay 15-x years of tax with the calculations mentioned else where in this thread, and then do not claim refund. So you retain your old number, but obviously you are feeding two states. (your magnanimity!!!)
Old 28th April 2009, 14:49   #10
BHPian

How about buying the car in BLR itself. You can finance the same. It will be a great gift. Think about it
Old 28th April 2009, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

to add to sriturl, KA tax fundae are such that upto 3 years, you end up paying almost 90% + road tax - ie a complete waste of your prev road tax. so better to buy new.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
I see the cops stopping many TN vehicles..and feel pity for them.

In bangalore, it's not just the problem with the cops, but it's not safer to go by your TN vehicle.
Tell me about it, I drive my KL in Chennai, 2 times got ripped-off by mad cops of Chennai. It seems they have some strange grudge to vehicles that are not TN.

Now when I spot a cop I look away and try "hiding" behind any vehicle I can find .

Its not the money, but the sheer rudeness and the words they exchange in tamil (assuming that I don't understand tamil). Makes cops back home is KL seem like angels.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:15   #13
BHPian

Not necessary to re-register you car at Bangalore, you just have to get a transfer certificate from Chennai and pay road tax at Bangalore. Transfer certificate and Road tax documents (apart from license, Insurance, RC Book and the most important emission certificate - if your car crossed 1 year) are more than enough to keep their (cops) mouth shut.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:42   #14
BHPian

How the tax is calculated for used vehicles in Bangalore, do we need to pay the tax from original invoice amount?

my vehicle is 3 yrs old, is tax calcuated for the original invoice?

-MUKE
Old 28th April 2009, 15:49   #15
BANNED

What is the invoice price and exactly how old is it? More than 3 years old but less than 4 years old?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks