Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 19:54   #91
Senior - BHPian

RAV4 would not be cheap. Its not a small SUV anymore. If you add a diesel, it would go out of bounds for most people.
Suzuki can however do something. But again they will have to bring the smaller sized SUV which may not reach good numbers due to size.
When a basic Jeep that cannot be used as a normal daily car costs so much, how can we get a SUV which is affordable?
Old 5th October 2010, 20:35   #92
BANNED

The mini SUV segment is slowly picking up with the likes of the Rio, the Jimny, the Thar and even the Yeti to some extent. Though, it will take some time before it steams to full speed since we generally want more size for less especially when it comes to SUVs.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

IMHO best option would be Ford Fusion Diesel engine and little raised body and 4 WD. That is best suited for offroading. Front Struts will definitely give required articulation. Probably wheel well has to be broadened.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:17   #94
BHPian

Why cant Maruti put the 1.3L multijet to the legendary Gypsy? IMO it will sell like hot cakes.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:29   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
IMHO best option would be Ford Fusion Diesel engine and little raised body and 4 WD. That is best suited for offroading. Front Struts will definitely give required articulation. Probably wheel well has to be broadened.
I too think in this way. A bit of modification can make this Fusion a great choice of may people. They need to increase the front bumper GC. Sometime it really touch the ground though it has a good over all GC.
And also it has a superb space inside
Old 8th October 2010, 09:58   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The earlier gen RAV 4 is considerably smaller than the CRV.

the new GV, RAV 4 etc are definitely around the same size as CRV etc.

Point is the older gen ones can still work well, if they do a bit of work on upgrading them in terms of interiors, safety features and of course the engines (from emission perspective).

Given the capabilities of these vehicles they can seriously become contenders for this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
RAV4 is a CRV sized vehicle and there is no way they can sell it at 7-8 lacs.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:00   #97
BHPian

I completely agree that there is a 'HUUUUUGE' market for a compact diesel SUV at the INR 6-7 Lakh On-Road pricepoint.

A world class quality 5 seater SUV that can offer boot space, good ground clearance, off-road Capability and fuel efficiency comparable to a Sedan could easily give a very hard time to the i20s, Dzire's, Manza's and Lineas of the world

The most probable candidates to fill this space are

1. Suzuki Jimny
2. Suzuki SX4 Hatchback
3. Ford Ecosport (Based on the Fusion/Figo Platform)

In my specific case, i was constrained to buy the Vento only because the SX4 Diesel did not exist and the Scorpio was a 30% less fuel efficient in comparison to any diesel Sedan. Manufacturers must stand up and take notice

Last edited by acidkill : 8th October 2010 at 11:02.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:16   #98
BANNED

considering the overall state of our roads Im surprised indeed that the manufacturers have consistently ignored this fact!

looks like the sensible and economical option for people like us (who appear to be in the minority), is to wait and buy a used Fortuner/ Yeti sometime later.

No point burning the sort of big cash required as of now on a brand new Fortuner/ Yeti in my opinion.

Some of my friends also with whom I ve spoken in detail on this subject, feel the same way - regardless of what economic tier/ stratum one may belong to, seeking the best value/ cost vs benefit is the key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
I completely agree that there is a 'HUUUUUGE' market for a compact diesel SUV at the INR 6-7 Lakh On-Road pricepoint.

A world class quality 5 seater SUV that can offer boot space, good ground clearance, off-road Capability and fuel efficiency comparable to a Sedan could easily give a very hard time to the i20s, Dzire's, Manza's and Lineas of the world

The most probable candidates to fill this space are

1. Suzuki Jimny
2. Suzuki SX4 Hatchback
3. Ford Ecosport (Based on the Fusion/Figo Platform)

In my specific case, i was constrained to buy the Vento only because the SX4 Diesel did not exist and the Scorpio was a 30% less fuel efficient in comparison to any diesel Sedan. Manufacturers must stand up and take notice
Old 8th October 2010, 13:46   #99
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved to right section.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:55   #100
BHPian

companies will be looking at a min projected sales which is feasible in case of any new project. unfortunately two dooe versions are not so popular in india where as this not the case internationally. Suzuki still sell two door versions of jIMNY& Vitara. Daihatsu Terios now comes is a long and short wheelbases will be nice for india.

Daihatsu, United Arab Emirates, Al Yousuf Motors LLC
Old 8th October 2010, 18:22   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
it seems to me that a little RAV4 or Vitara like the pictured ones,
Little? In what context? Maybe in Texas they look little, but these are fairly big C-seg based SUVs and 5 of them are already on sale in India. CRV, Grand Vitara, Outlander, X-trail and Captiva. If they bring in a RAV4, it will be priced in the same ball park. If you want a 6 lakh SUV then you have Premier, Bolero and Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Could there be anything at all against such vehicles being introduced?
Or is it just plain laziness, slowness and disinterested-ness or what?
The disasters called Fiat Adventure and Ford Fusion is still in the minds of product planners.

However here is a mini-SUV segment which is feasible for India. Models like the Jimny, Pajero Pinin, HRV, Treois come to mind but it remains to be seen if they will be accepted.
Old 8th October 2010, 18:52   #102
BHPian

The wikipedia does show few older models of RAV4 which looks small - Toyota RAV4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are a few
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-1.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-2.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-3.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 11th October 2010 at 00:14. Reason: The pictures were a little too large, making the post tough to read. Kindly use the "attachment" button to upload images as well. Thanks.
Old 9th October 2010, 01:16   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post

A world class quality 5 seater SUV that can offer boot space, good ground clearance, off-road Capability and fuel efficiency comparable to a Sedan

....the Scorpio was a 30% less fuel efficient in comparison to any diesel Sedan. Manufacturers must stand up and take notice
Apart from Vitamin M and quality issues, this is a major factor for many people like me choosing a diesel hatch / sedan for city use and occassional highway touring.

An SUV typically give 12 kpl on diesel on the highway while the diesel hatches give at least 18 kpl. For budget travelers like me, it can mean travelling 1.5 times more distance on the same money.

Of course, the GC and ability to tackle Indian roads better, apart from the 4X4 adds another dimension altogether.

However, do all the compact SUVs being discussed here (like Jimny) have ride quality and passenger comfort at par with their larger siblings? I would hate to do Delhi-Khajuraho on a Gypsy in 12 hours.
Old 9th October 2010, 19:18   #104
BHPian

Here is another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-daihatsu.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-previous_daihatsu_terios.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 11th October 2010 at 00:06.
Old 26th October 2010, 06:46   #105
BANNED

isnt this the Daihatsu Terios? what has now come to India via China in a slightly changed avatar and is re-christened the Premier Rio?
at least, there appears to be a marked similarity between your pics and my pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Here is another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-22102010614.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-22102010617.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th October 2010 at 06:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks