Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 18:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota launching the Lexus brand. EDIT : Plans put on hold!

Came across this article in todays paper.

source:Toyota to import Lexus cars in India- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Toyota Motors has confirmed its plan announced a year ago to import fully-built Lexus cars into the country. This move by Toyota —

which operates in India though a joint-venture company, Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) — has been prompted by the 22% increase in luxury car sales in the domestic market for the year ended March 2009.

Although there are many Lexus cars on Indian roads, all of them are imported directly by individual consumers.

“We are very much looking at introducing Lexus, based on the feedback of our dealers and distributors, but are yet to decide on a final timeframe to launch it in India,” TKM MD Hiroshi Nakagawa told ET.

I think Toyota should have launched the lexus brand ages back.And even if they dint spend a penny in advertising people would be queuing up to buy the cars.Lexus has a brilliant brand recall in India,synonymous with luxury and refinement something any other company would give their vital organs for.
Hopefully we shall see the slanting L on our roads soon alond with the stonking IS-F.
Old 4th May 2009, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

So finally they noticed Audi and BMW laughing all the way to the bank. One IS220 diesel for me please!
Old 4th May 2009, 18:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are very much looking at introducing Lexus, based on the feedback of our dealers and distributors, but are yet to decide on a final timeframe to launch it in India,” TKM MD Hiroshi Nakagawa told ET.
Typical Toyota. If Fortuner and the Toyota small car is any indication, we shouldn't expect Lexus here before 2012. And looking at Camry prices, what will be the pricing of Lexus?

Right now pricewise,

Camry = Mercedes C, BMW 3, Accord V6.

So that means,

IS = Mercedes E and BMW 5

GS = Mercedes S and BMW 7

LS = Maybach and Rolls Royce

They may start production of Camry here but that would result in Camry resale prices crashing and Toyota wouldn't want to do that and irritate premium customers so I guess the locally manufactured Camry will always be at a premium over the Accord and the cheaper Camry's that we will see would be cheap in features too.

Quote:
One IS220 diesel for me please!
One for me too!
Old 4th May 2009, 19:22   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally! I've always stated that there is a phenomenal demand for luxury + reliability in India. Merc & BMW offer the luxury alright, but their cars are far from reliable (Merc especially). Lexus' go on forever. Plus, their reliability should lower the cost of ownership as well. Toyota has already set an extremely high standard of service in India. Lexus, logically, will only be a step higher.

In my books, a well-priced Lexus makes for an exceedingly sensible purchase. And I do believe that an LS is a worthy competitor to the mega S-Class.

Notes to Toyota:

1. Don't overprice the Lexus range (as you have the Camry)

2. Don't take forever to get Lexus here (as you have the Fortuner). Strike when the iron is hot

3. Get diesels! You'd be amazed at their popularity even in the luxury segment
Old 4th May 2009, 20:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

it had to make it here sooner or later.
good move to curb the Grey market from tricking people in spending more money.
hope they bring in the M3 competitor Lexus ISF not that im buying one
well as usual anything related to Toyota Turns me on(well not sexually or anything )!!

Last edited by vinaydas : 4th May 2009 at 20:20.
Old 4th May 2009, 21:46   #6
BHPian

Although Lexus globally is seen as an alternative to Merc and BMW, I'm afraid it'll be seen as a lesser brand in India. Especially because it hasn't got the "German" tag. Their SUV's will do very well, no doubt. I talk only about the sedans.

IMO, the LS will be seen as competition to the VW Phaeton in terms of pricing and branding (although in terms of everything else, it's BETTER than the S and the 7, IMO).

I may be wrong, but if the majority of the car buying public are as ignorant as the people I come across everyday........

All through the range, I think the cars will be seen as direct competition to VW and not Mercedes etc. And any contrary pricing will affect their sales.

Let me add though, that I LOVE Lexus. Especially the ISF and the LS. And even the GS to some extent. If left to me, the LS would be priced at 1.05 crores atleast. Because it's that good a car. If only everyone knew.......
Old 4th May 2009, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

They have to get them by CKD route or localize it F450 as far as i see the Camry and the Prado have a luxury tag attached to them.The Camry is a good alternative to the 3,C and A4.This is an image which has been carved by the people in india.
I think Lexus will do very well.
LX470 Which is the Hot Choice of "n" number of celebrity's. It has already developed a decent brand image even before its Debut here in india!!
Old 4th May 2009, 22:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
They have to get them by CKD route or localize it F450 as far as i see the Camry and the Prado have a luxury tag attached to them.The Camry is a good alternative to the 3,C and A4.This is an image which has been carved by the people in india.
I must respectfully disagree. I was of the opinion that the Camry was meant to be an alternative to the Accord, Superb etc. but was so overpriced that it ventured into the C class, 3series segment where it seemed not-so-good. Something similar happened with the Nissan Teana too, I think.

I may be wrong, of course; but looking at other Toyota cars and their Honda equivalents, I doubt I will be.

Quote:
LX470 Which is the Hot Choice of "n" number of celebrity's. It has already developed a decent brand image even before its Debut here in india!!
Like I already said, there's no doubt that their SUV's will do well...it's only the sedans that I'm worried about.
Old 4th May 2009, 22:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dude i never said it was an actual replacement. But Due to the price range it falls in people Add the camry into their lists while choosing a Luxury sedan Along with C , 3 And the A4.With the Lexus brand coming things will probably change.
Old 4th May 2009, 22:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

as far as i know, LX470 which had a 4.7L V8 has been discountinued.. and a new LX 570 with a 5.7L V8 has been launched.. although i have seen many 2009 LC's here but i havent seen a single LX570 yet. I feel a 5.7L V8 would be too big for India...

what i feel is they should launch their RX 350 model here for about 35-40L range and that could do really well and above that the GX 470 which is itself based on the LC Prado.

LX570 with a smaller V8 can also do wonders here.. and a diesel would bonus.. i dont think LExus sells any Diesel Suv's anywhere so far.
Old 4th May 2009, 23:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
One IS220 diesel for me please!
Absolutely drool stuff. I just love the Lexus IS and with the 2.2L diesel 175bhp engine it will be just awesome.

Toyota reliability with merc luxury and very good dynamics like a BMW.
Old 5th May 2009, 00:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
as far as i know, LX470 which had a 4.7L V8 has been discountinued.. and a new LX 570 with a 5.7L V8 has been launched.. although i have seen many 2009 LC's here but i havent seen a single LX570 yet. I feel a 5.7L V8 would be too big for India...

what i feel is they should launch their RX 350 model here for about 35-40L range and that could do really well and above that the GX 470 which is itself based on the LC Prado.

LX570 with a smaller V8 can also do wonders here.. and a diesel would bonus.. i dont think LExus sells any Diesel Suv's anywhere so far.
They can simply use the same diesel in the lx570 as in the tlc.
Old 5th May 2009, 08:35   #13
BHPian

Seems like stock clearance due to global recession.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:06   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Although Lexus globally is seen as an alternative to Merc and BMW, I'm afraid it'll be seen as a lesser brand in India. Especially because it hasn't got the "German" tag.
I'd say Lexus has a pretty upmarket image in India, thanks to Harshad Mehta & the many Bollywood LX470s. Managing (or elevating) this premium image shouldn't be too difficult for Lexus. Especially if you consider Skoda's success in transforming what was a bargain Euro brand as a semi-luxury one.

Just the fact that premium customers still opt for diesel (economy, robustness, lesser problems) in their German cars says to me they are a practical lot. This segment will certainly appreciate the supreme reliability + peace of the mind factor of a Lexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I feel a 5.7L V8 would be too big for India...
True. In the SUV & the sedans, diesel is best. But will Lexus sell oil burners in India?
Old 5th May 2009, 13:14   #15
BHPian

Lexus would face the same dilemma as VW; with Skoda/Toyota already having established their brands as Semi-Luxury for people with autoknowledge and Luxury for the average consumer, it will be a very difficult task to establish a second marquee.

The IS will probably come in along with the 3/A4/C, ES with the 5/E/A6 and GS will be between the ES & LS as they are pretty much globally.

I've been harping on about the Acura TL & RL and it would be awesome to see Toyota/Honda go at it again! Lets hope Honda also gets in on the act...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed