Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 11:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Forget the taxation issues, a national registry will also go a very long way in curbing vehicle theft. Similar to the depository system where shares are now held in electronic form, NSDL/CDSL can easily take up the task of a vehicle registration depository.

Taxes can be debited / credited through your linked bank account and no transfer can take place without your proper consent. Once you cannot get a stolen vehicle registered, voila, vehicle theft will also drop dramatically.

Inter state movement will simply require appropriate single small form.

But in any case, this again will take ages as our govt. never cares for its citizens, anyway only inventing cumbersome procedures in all respects.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have paid quarterly tax (3 months) while I was on a short visit to Andhra Pradesh. If this is legally not possible, how did the AP RTA let me pay?

My case is documented here ->
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post410177
Old 21st June 2009, 21:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Is there a quarterly/yearly tax payment option in KA.
Also will i be issued a new registration number from KA ?
Old 26th October 2009, 09:44   #34
BANNED

I just saw in the papers that RTOs are supposed to be going on-line on a National Network in January. Apparently at this time only 78% RTOs nationwide are computerized, but the NIC expects to be done by the end of the year.

So why not revive the discussion and try and make registration in a different state on moving redundant, or at least cheaper and hassle free.
Old 26th October 2009, 09:57   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

being one country we should simply have a National Registration instead of all this state-wise chaos. And we should as Indian Citizens, be allowed to move seamlessly from state to state whenever we please without facing harassment from the RTO/Traffic police etc. One country, one set of registrations, one set of taxes and local levies - all products including Cars and Vehicles, Petrol and other Fuel to be sold at a single MRP only. Would be lovely - but I guess this is a form of Utopia which I am dreaming of.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:24   #36
BHPian

different states charge different taxes, because they have different agendas for roads driven by local challenges (and politics and corruption). So we are far from having one set of registrations and one set of taxes. Also if we had one set of nationwide registrations, but localised taxes, that would not work, because then everyone will register their cars in cheaper local tax places.
So if it has to happen, both registration and taxes have to go together. I am completely for it, but its difficult to implement.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:31   #37
BHPian

We are One Country with different set of rules in different States.

VAT - Value added Tax was introduced to do away this anomolies. Now why can't we do the same for the Vehicles. Political Will is required to this rather than going to the Courts.

The First (I guess) Service to break away these state Borders is the Mobile Telephony. And to large extent, there was no government role.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:33   #38
BANNED

@shanker.balan & @jazz. Look at the person who is transferable all over the country. every time he moves he has to get his registration (and number) changed, and pay to tax. As we all know that you never get the stuff back from the earlier set of thugs.

I fully agree with a uniform GST there should be only one level of road tax and with RTO networking you should not be require to change the registration is a complicated manner. If you move you can change your PAN changed with no hassle.

But then what will the greedy states like MH and KA do?
Old 26th October 2009, 12:41   #39
BHPian

All India registration will also require a unified tax across the country . Some states like Maharashtra have a very well developed road structures and also good quality road while in some states the roads are non-existant. Putting a unified tax means decreasing the revenue for road maintenance in some states and increasing in other . This may not be benificial for states whole have good roads and the quality of roads available will dwindle.

The way out will be have a highest tax in all states. So nobody bothers to goto Pondy to have their vehicles registered and drive in Chennai.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
All India registration will also require a unified tax across the country . Some states like Maharashtra have a very well developed road structures and also good quality road while in some states the roads are non-existant. Putting a unified tax means decreasing the revenue for road maintenance in some states and increasing in other . This may not be benificial for states whole have good roads and the quality of roads available will dwindle.

The way out will be have a highest tax in all states. So nobody bothers to goto Pondy to have their vehicles registered and drive in Chennai.
Not neccesarily, for example in Karntaka we have the highest road tax in the country yet among the worst roads!
Old 26th October 2009, 17:35   #41
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Forget the taxation issues, a national registry will also go a very long way in curbing vehicle theft. Similar to the depository system where shares are now held in electronic form, NSDL/CDSL can easily take up the task of a vehicle registration depository.

Taxes can be debited / credited through your linked bank account and no transfer can take place without your proper consent. Once you cannot get a stolen vehicle registered, voila, vehicle theft will also drop dramatically.

Inter state movement will simply require appropriate single small form.

But in any case, this again will take ages as our govt. never cares for its citizens, anyway only inventing cumbersome procedures in all respects.
The idea sounds excellent on paper, but unfortunately as things stand, RTO is one of the biggest money minting machine for the politicians/babus. Why the hell will they make things easier/simpler and kill the proverbial goose laying golden eggs.

Life time tax is a an organized loot by most state Govts. It is next to impossible to get your tax refunded if you move out of state, and out of state vehicles are easy targets for thullas to make some money.

Ideally an NSDL/CSDL time electronic registry should take care of the problem. The moment you change your address (After proper verification) you would be supposed to pay tax in your new state.

Also it would be easy to track insurance defaulters. Yesterday I was reading a startling stat that almost 70% of vehicles plying on Indian roads have inadequate or in many cases no insurance. God help you if you get into a problem with one of those.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

I recently transferred my car from Blr->Kolkata. It takes immense time and patience to get the formalities done. 5 visits to the B'lore RTO, 1 visit to the B'lore police commissioner office.

3 full days spent at the Kolkata RTO, running behind the clerks,inspectors and officials. Tax refund yet to be taken from Bangalore, but I'll surely get my money back.

All india registration is a good thing - but given the distribution of powers in the constitution, I don't think this will ever happen. At least, they can simplify/automate the transfer of vehicles between states and the tax refund .
Old 26th October 2009, 22:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Since an equal tax system across the country will probably never happen. Atleast the following system should be followed.
1) I have an Ap registered car, say i paid 30k as life tax in ap.

2) I shift to KA registration cost of the same car when new was 35k in KA, I pay 5k (difference in Ap and ka tax ) and i get a Ka number. I can use the Ap number when i get back to Ap and use Ka number when i am in KA since the registartion system is nationalised if the rto/police guys enter one reg. number it will show the other one too, so misuse can be prevented

3) IF i go to assam where tax wjen the car was new was 25k i can go to the rto and get an assam reg. number for free or some nominal charge like 500 or 1000.
I will still have both ap and assam numbers

BUT if we can get a single number accross India then nothing like it.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

But then what will the greedy states like MH and KA do?
I heard that Karnataka may increase the Life Time Tax by another 1% from next month. I guess, it's already the highest in the Country.
Old 27th October 2009, 16:19   #45
aby
BHPian

First of all the whole concept of lifetime tax is an organized loot perpetrated by most state governments . The concept assumes uniform lifetime either in terms of years (15 years in most cases) or in terms of KMs for the car. I don't know how many cars will last 15 years of average usage (about 15 thousand km/year).

The government found out a good source of revenue and now don't want to give it up. Why can't I have the option of paying my road tax every year. I renew my insurance every year, I suppose I can do the same for Road-taxes too. That way there will never be an issue of refunds in intra-state transfers.

The concept of road-tax is to pay for upkeep and maintenance of local roads. Then why should it be linked to the ex-showroom price in a state? Shouldn't it be more linked to the kerb weight of a car, or dimensions of a car. But then when did politicians listen to common middle class public, or have some sense of scruples.

Most Viewed