Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 20:55   #361
BHPian

Went to Sanjay Hyundai Pune. They were just closing so had very little time. No test drive yet. Will take another week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think Hyundai is happy playing its 'premium' tag in India while it gives value to its European customers by building the i20 here. The i20 comes with segment busting 5 year warranty in UK... how much is it for India?
2 Years Unlimited.
After that you can opt for the 3rd, 4th and 5th year separately

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Guys who are thinking of Magna watch out, asta's gear stick is something you will definitely miss.
+1. It really is well crafted

Asta also has rear AC vents. They are hidden under the front seats. I like the interiors. Feel nice no doubt, but personally i wouldn't pay the premium
Old 7th July 2009, 21:04   #362
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hyundai: you are stupid.. i thought the Getz engine was perfect and would have made the i20 a no brainer, even at this price. i repeat. hyundai: you are stupid.

@ others: the i20 is priced BANG ON with the Linea. if i were a discerning buyer, i would take the Linea Emotion for 30k odd more, and enjoy a good looking car AND a boot. if only the Linea came with the 1.6 diesel (the Pete's box will do for the time being, thank you)
BANG ON. What I posted in other thread is almost similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari
Hmmm. Would be very interesting to see the sales charts of i20 CRDi, if they price it some 50K lower than MJD Linea.
No, does that mean a pricing to be 8 L-8.5 L OTR for 1.4 i20 CRDi ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari
This is the most likely scenario which Hyundai must avoid.
Price gap between Punto E+ & Linea E+ is around 1-1.25 L if I remember correctly. Now, if i20 CRDI were to be at 50K premium, the difference between it & Linea E+ would be 50K-70K. Indian market has snob value for Sedan.
This scenario is not unlikely considering how high Hyundai priced 1.2 L Petrol i20. So, you can consider how much more i20 1.4 CRDi would be priced over i20 1.2L Petrol

1 day to go. let's see
Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
As expected (atleast I expected it), the pricing of i20 CRDI went the way Hyundai priced i20 1.2 petrol earlier.
It seems the top-end i20 CRDI is priced at an OTR of almost 8 lac touching. Very interesting to see how market accepts it & which other cars it'll be pitted against as far as pricing is concerned.
At those price levels i20 CRDi would in all probabilities compete with Honda Jazz only. Honda can probably see thro' Jazz selling decent numbers by sheer brand loyalty. How Hyundai will do it is what remains to be seen.

In fact, I would think it might turn out to be a blunder by Hyundai. Because of Jazz pricing, i20 1.2 petrol suddenly seems VFM & started selling in good no.s Now with i20 CRDI coming at these prices, that VFM factor of i20 petrol would be gone. i20 might end up competing with Jazz only & not GP. in fact, this makes GP VFM factor much stronger now.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:10   #363
Senior - BHPian

BYE-BYE I20! Is the Getz CRDI still available?
Old 7th July 2009, 21:15   #364
Senior - BHPian

Only problem with the costly hatches (including i20) is that even though one can enjoy a complete product during ownership (fully equip and all that), but 90% of Indian market is not mature enough to understand why one would buy a loaded hatch over a under specced, poor engine sedan. Therefore I think snob value aside, resale would also suffer. A 2 year old ANHC E variant would easily sell for 6-7 lakhs but a 2 years old i20 1.4 Auto Petrol Asta (o) after two years would probably fetch 5ish or even less....
Old 7th July 2009, 21:17   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post

The car is brilliant( As two of the TBHPians have described). Quality wise it is right on top. Feature wise too, loaded! But price!? Well, if you are rich and would pay any price for quality, you will probably go for it.
Sorry buddy, I am not quite sure if the rich would like to be seen in a Hyundai! Especially with Jazz around

PS: Sorry couldnt resist the Jazz thingy!
Old 7th July 2009, 21:25   #366
Senior - BHPian

Why is there such a downmarket tag associated with Hyundai?

And why does a majority of the presence here harp on and on about pricing w.r.t brand and not pricing w.r.t. product?

OT: As for someone saying the Sonata Embera / Transform is overpriced, that's by far the most ridiculous statement I've heard. As a diesel, it undercuts the Accord by a considerable margin, it's more comfortable, has fairly decent interiors now and is not a pain to maintain either. It doesn't sell only because of the badge, and not because it's a bad product, save for a couple of things such as the 4-speed A/T etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Only problem with the costly hatches (including i20) is that even though one can enjoy a complete product during ownership (fully equip and all that), but 90% of Indian market is not mature enough to understand why one would buy a loaded hatch over a under specced, poor engine sedan.
Thank you. The maturity isn't showing in great numbers here either. If Hyundai has a great product, they have every right to price it at a premium. Whether it sells or not is best left to vasudeva's numbers. Best to refrain from making strong statements about the brand?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th July 2009 at 21:29.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:38   #367
BHPian

Exxxaactly - judge a car by what it offers at the said price point. Even if it is a hatchback. Just because the car doesn't have a boot, Hyundai can't give it for free.

Almost every person who loves a GP/Fiat is out on this thread stating how Hyundai got its pricing wrong and how i20 is overpriced and blah, blah. Some are even saying how H is actually not a H. Sorry, but sounds very childish.

As a package, can anyone point to another hatchback in the country that can match i20 as is?
Old 7th July 2009, 21:48   #368
Senior - BHPian

Well .... my 2 cents.

Back in September 2004, I paid 7.3 lacs for a Hyundai Accent Viva CRDi. Right now I am considering the i20 Asta for again ... around 7.3 lacs.

What am I getting better in the i20?

1) Better Engine (More power, 4 cylinder)
2) Much better interiors
3) More interior space
4) ABS
5) 2 Airbags
6) Keyless Entry
7) Auto Folding Mirrors
8) Wider tyres.
9) A 5 Star NCAP rating vs. a 1.5/2.0 of the Accent
10) Fog Lamps
11) Automatic A/C
12) Height Adjustable Seat
13) Tubeless Tyres (Back in '04, I got tubed tyres)
14) Audio System + Speakers
15) Alloy Wheels

The Accent, although had better Boot Space, undoubtedly.

So all in all. Not that bad a deal

Why cant I buy a Fiat Punto? Because I dont want to go to TATA to service my car. Simple. I have owned an Indica in the past and was very unhappy with Tata service.

I am looking forward to TD the i20.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 7th July 2009 at 22:03.
Old 7th July 2009, 22:00   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Exxxaactly - judge a car by what it offers at the said price point. Even if it is a hatchback. Just because the car doesn't have a boot, Hyundai can't give it for free.

Almost every person who loves a GP/Fiat is out on this thread stating how Hyundai got its pricing wrong and how i20 is overpriced and blah, blah. Some are even saying how H is actually not a H. Sorry, but sounds very childish.

As a package, can anyone point to another hatchback in the country that can match i20 as is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Well .... my 2 cents.

Back in September 2004, I paid 7.3 lacs for a Hyundai Accent Viva CRDi. Right now I am considering the i20 Asta for again ... around 7.3 lacs.

What am I getting better in the i20?

1) Better Engine (More power, 4 cylinder)
2) Much better interiors
3) More interior space
4) ABS
5) 2 Airbags
6) Keyless Entry
7) Auto Folding Mirrors
8) Wider tyres.
9) A 5 Star NCAP rating vs. a 1.5/2.0 of the Accent
10) Fog Lamps
11) Automatic A/C
12) Height Adjustable Seat
13) Keyless Entry
14) Audio System + Speakers
15) Alloy Wheels

The Accent, although had better Boot Space, undoubtedly.

So all in all. Not that bad a deal

Why cant I buy a Fiat Punto? Because I dont want to go to TATA to service my car. Simple. I have owned an Indica in the past and was very unhappy with Tata service.

I am looking forward to TD the i20.
Ah! Finally some unbiased opinion. Most of us cannot stop comparing, can we? Why is it that Quality always comes last while people judge a Hyundai product? Price is premium, i agree. But the quality you get is certainly exceptional.

I do not what to start another bashing powerplay here, but too much of Fiat love is coming in between some objective and unbiased reviewing of Non-fiat cars. Guys, this is a great forum. Let it be so!

Waiting for GTO's views/test drive report.
Old 7th July 2009, 22:23   #370
BHPian

Hyundai is regarded lower than honda and others is because it keeps on dropping the price of its cars same as in mobiles or computers.
Old 7th July 2009, 22:30   #371
BHPian

All are waiting for TD. Preferably from some Professional(not literally) like GTO
Btw is there a way to find approx acceleration based on
a-Torque
b-bhp
c-weight
Come on techie guys please throw some light
because for a regulat TD it might be some good amount of timegap
cheers
Old 7th July 2009, 22:39   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
i20 topped it up to the brim. I bet they could have add the ESP, real time millage indicator and distance to empty features too for this price
I couldn't open the document. System pops up "The file is damaged and could not be repaired." Can you please check/ reload the document?
Old 7th July 2009, 22:39   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Btw is there a way to find approx acceleration
I ll do better than that...

Copy pasting from Top Gear Official Site - The World's Greatest Car TV Show - Top Gear .. These are for the i20 going to UK.

1.4CRDi 90PS Style Hatchback 5d 1396cc

Maximum Speed (MPH) 106
0-60 MPH (seconds) 13.60

Litres / 100KM (urban) 4
Litres / 100KM (extra-urban) 4
Litres / 100KM (combined) 5
Miles per gallon (urban) 51
Miles per gallon (extra urban) 72
Miles per gallon (combined) 63
Old 7th July 2009, 22:53   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
Hyundai is regarded lower than honda and others is because it keeps on dropping the price of its cars same as in mobiles or computers.
Maybe in your opinion, but in broader terms that makes no sense at all. Honda has paid for its price hike with sales figures in May '09. And in any case, Hyundai's price cuts aren't half as bad as what GM does with its products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Litres / 100KM (urban) 4
Litres / 100KM (extra-urban) 4
Surely there's something wrong with those figures? Especially since the mpg values differ for urban and extra-urban cycle.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th July 2009 at 22:57.
Old 7th July 2009, 22:58   #375
Senior - BHPian

Here are my workings on what the on-road Chennai tag will work out to. I may be WAY OFF THE MARK!!

i20 1.4 CRDI Magna: 6,97,275.00
i20 1.4 CRDI Asta: 7,68,859.88
i20 1.4 CRDI Asta (O): 8,10,483.75
i20 1.4 Asta (A/T) PL: 8,22,521.25
i20 1.4 Asta (O) (A/T) PL: 8,68,838.63

I was waiting for the i20 Diesel from June 2008- when I cancelled a booking for a Getz Diesel (it was about 6.37 Lakhs on-road Chennai then). After the launch of the i20, that too in Petrol-only form, I got an idea of what the Diesel versions would work out to- and it seems kind of bang-on.

When I looked up the Getz CRDi prices around Feb '09, it was coming to 6.28 Lakhs on-road Chennai. In June '09, Hyundai offered it at 5.62 on-road. That is a cool 75k down from one year ago, and 66k down from 6 months. No feature has changed in the last one year, the car remains the same rocket that it was.

I do not think any business will sell a product (and support it) for a loss. So, it was always viable for Hyundai to have priced the Getz CRDi at less than 5.7L on-road Chennai- Anyone, please correct me if my logic is wrong here.

For all who think i20 is over-priced- I think the same too. For those who think it is right-priced, I would like to have a meet somewhere down the lane- when Hyundai slashes the prices by 75k on the i20 a while after !

I stand vindicated when i got one of the last few Getz CRDi at 5.62 Lakhs- in spite of a few friends and family discouraging me, and suggesting to wait for the i20 Diesel or the other new launches (nothing against the other newbies, but my one and only love for the Getz CRDi is the 235nm / 100 BHP engine )...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 7th July 2009 at 23:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed