Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 10:12   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Surely, you don't want to stop till everyone see's your point on the Jazz.... why are you so insistent on comparing the CRDi i20 to the Jazz (or the GP, for that matter)? This is the i20 thread and lets keep it clean please.
Right, I pushed my points a bit hard, because somebody started comparing i20 price with Honda City price (ridiculous).

I have never owned a Hyundai. I am not at least going to be blinded like some brands lovers. My posts were all related to i20 and vis-a-vis other cars in the competition and I have not been a hypocrite in any of my comparisons.

Sorry guys for the off topic. I thought I would clear my stand.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:20   #407
Senior - BHPian

I feel the i20 prices are not too high or anything. They have put the CRDi and the 1.4 A/T at higher price points than 1.2. I mean it wouldn't make any sense for Hyundai to put these at 50k and 1 lakh more than 1.2 versions. So they have got the prices alright, at least with reference to i20 1.2. If they had to price the new models any cheaper, they would've to reduce the price of the kappa models across the range. If you want it, you have to pay for it , else buy a cheaper alternative, as simple as that.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:28   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
I couldn't open the document. System pops up "The file is damaged and could not be repaired." Can you please check/ reload the document?
Use Acrobat Reader 8 or later

Cheers!
Old 8th July 2009, 10:37   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
2 of the 4 hyundai dealers in Kolkata just told me i20 will launch in 2 months time!!

I told them to check Hyundai's website for details.
that's specific to Kolkata - the cars wont be here till August, in the showrooms...
Old 8th July 2009, 10:58   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
I compared the sales only and nothing else . My point was stressing on that it is too early to comment that the car is a success as the car has just got on road after supply issues.
anyways that is just my 2 cents
@drashkum, sorry to go a bit OT here. I hope you are aware that i20 sells a little over 2.5K cars per month. Without adding more, I am quoting what you said in another thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
1250 cars in april and 901 cars in may augurs well for a brand which had been reduced to dust before. The sales report for june is yet to come. It might not be shocker in sales. It is definitely selling decenty despite the niggles. But it is very early to comment that it is not selling well.

And i dont want to start honda / fiat fiasco here. Kindly refrain from making such remarks and try to stick to the topic.......
Old 8th July 2009, 11:01   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Do not compare cars from two different segments. I see more 800's than swifts, does that make the swift a failure?

The i20 had some supply issues initially, bu the car is doing good volumes, according to the sales figures by the dealer here. All the cars the factory manages to produce are lapped up quickly!
Yeah, I had a long chat with my Hyundai dealer. The main issue is with Hyundai's exports. Apparently, the export takes precedence over the Indian market. There are supply shortages always with Hyundai dealers.

And the worst part for them - They are losing out on i10 and i20 bookings coz of long waiting periods.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:06   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica View Post

For me the only point that was going through my mind all through the drive was what is in it that makes it a cool 1.2L costlier than the GP emotion Pk. The equipment levels are comparable on both of them.
Are you comparing the E + to the Asta or Asta (O). The ex-showroom difference between the E+ & Asta is Rs. 70,000 so OTR difference should be between Rs. 80,000 - Rs. 90,000 depending on the city.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:13   #413
BHPian

With this pricing, it seems like Hyundai doesn't want to target the budget-conscious-buyers.
They want to target their export market and Indians who don't mind paying a "premium" for a hatch.

But from a VFM point of view, I feel Swift/Ritz/GP prices are what one would be readily willing to pay for (this forms the majority of hatch buyers).
Old 8th July 2009, 11:24   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Just to get a real sense of the impact, is there anybody in team bhp who had booked a CRDi i20 and cancelled it now. Or even wider, how many of our members who were eager to buy i20 D are now not with it?

Response to this will provide clarity on the opinion rather than just disappointment at the pricing!

My response - I had hoped for better pricing but, will still go with CRDi i20.
I know of 2 members from Delhi who have confirmed bookings and delivery within the week
Old 8th July 2009, 11:24   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
With this pricing, it seems like Hyundai doesn't want to target the budget-conscious-buyers.
They want to target their export market and Indians who don't mind paying a "premium" for a hatch.
Exactly. This is not a blunder by Hyundai. This seems like a decision that has been thought over. If the price is very close to its competitors then in time it will loose its premium brand image which it currently has in India.

Hyundai seems "willing" to loose the mass market on this one. Hyundai's marketing team saying that people will see the value offered in the product (quoting this from an earlier post) and will buy the product is nonsense.
Only the people who can afford the premium will actually allow themselves to get convinced that there is "extra value"

Last edited by Crimson : 8th July 2009 at 11:28.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:44   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
If the price is very close to its competitors then in time it will loose its premium brand image which it currently has in India.
premium brand image of Hyundai?

I am sure Maruti commands a better brand image compared to Hyundai in India!

If Maruti can price Swift, Ritz at reasonable levels, why is Hyundai overpricing their cars?
IMHO they are committing the same blunder they did with Getz earlier, instead of pitching Getz against Swift, they thought Santro is good enough for Swift and happilly overpriced Getz!
And we know the results!

Last edited by finneyp : 8th July 2009 at 11:45.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:45   #417
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

Also, look at what Fiat did with the 1.6? It was almost 6lac in the beginning, and then they kept reducing till around 4.2 or something.

Nobody has a complaint for any of this??
Don't think you can write a lie in this forum and get away with it. the 1.6 was never priced at 6L. Even the limited edition S10 was 5.75 ex. And that was the premium for the signature of GOD. The top end GTX had Alloys, ABS and Airbag.

Old 8th July 2009, 11:56   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
premium brand image of Hyundai?

I am sure Maruti commands a better brand image compared to Hyundai in India!

If Maruti can price Swift, Ritz at reasonable levels, why is Hyundai overpricing their cars?
IMHO they are committing the same blunder they did with Getz earlier, instead of pitching Getz against Swift, they thought Santro is good enough for Swift and happilly overpriced Getz!
And we know the results!
IMHO, this argument is invalid - are Getz and i20 similarly spec-d and are the features identical? Is there any Maurti hatchback similarly packaged?
Old 8th July 2009, 12:00   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
IMHO, this argument is invalid - are Getz and i20 similarly spec-d and are the features identical?
I am not comparing Getz and i20 here.

Just gave a analogy of Hyundai's overpricing strategy!
Old 8th July 2009, 12:05   #420
BANNED

I think Hyundai doesn't want to sell its diesel and Automatic. They just want to sell their 1.2 thats the reason they are put these on much higher prices. At the end the customer will think , ok ill just settle down with 1.2(this also have a steep price tag) as i can't afford other variants

Last edited by wildon : 8th July 2009 at 12:07.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed