Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 01:34   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Hyundai does not seem too intent to sell the i20 CRDi. They've been very silent about its launch - like during the Getz CRDi launch. Not a single adverstisement.

Either that, or they've lost interest in the Indian market.
Its none of that.

Primary reason is production constraints. The only factory worldwide manufacturing i20 is here in India and it primarily caters to the export demand. Already there is a waiting period of 8-10 weeks, if Hyundai started the advertising and promotions and the demand picked up, they will end up with egg on their faces since the waiting period will go through the roof.
Old 10th July 2009, 01:58   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Its none of that.

Primary reason is production constraints. The only factory worldwide manufacturing i20 is here in India and it primarily caters to the export demand. Already there is a waiting period of 8-10 weeks, if Hyundai started the advertising and promotions and the demand picked up, they will end up with egg on their faces since the waiting period will go through the roof.
Arreey!! What a noble reason ?? I doubt if it is really what Hyundai thinking. They might have not launched it even, if they think that they will not be able to meet the demand. Thats what i would expect from a mature, well established company.

(on a lighter note) I think the reason is that because SRK is busy these days they are not able to shoot the commercial
Old 10th July 2009, 02:20   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
1.6 Sport at 4L on road? I would like to buy two. I am sure you are talking about the Stile 1.1
Well,don't wish too much you might just get it,just sent a mail to fiat asking for a dozen 1.6 Sport and u might get the cars at an even better deal.Trust Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
We can keep arguing over the prices for the rest of our lives but the past few launches of Hyundai show that they are trying to position their cars higher then Maruti , Tata and Fiat cars.
Why not ? Hyundai has better build quality than Tata or Maruti, has better resale value than Ford,Chevy or Fiat, has a competent A S S (not as good as Maruti,but it's good enough),yes they can charge a premium and get away with it,if Honda and Toyota can why can't Hyundai ?
Old 10th July 2009, 04:30   #529
Senior - BHPian

The essence in the market is not about how high a company can price it's car and get away with it.

The essence is to give the customer the best while still making a profit.

Skoda started it with fabia in the hot hatch segment, Honda won it and I20 is just following it up.

I'd be better off buying the indica vista and kitting it up instead with a bluetooth enabled navigation system with stereo controls on steering wheels and 15" alloys at 5 lacs.
Old 10th July 2009, 08:53   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
+1, I was so anxious that I did jugaad to get the passes for the launch at Delhi. But once I saw the Slide of Prices, my hopes were cut.

It makes more sense to buy a used corolla AT.
Exactly. I was checking the Hyundai UK site and the price difference between a comparable trim level of 1.2 petrol and 1.4petrol AT was just GBP 1400. This translates roughly to about Rs 1.1 lacs at current exchange rate. Even adding up the duty difference, it should not be more than 1.5 lacs. But on road price here is higher by 2+ lacs which is atrocious. Its good that I have decided to buy a used Civic AT instead.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:30   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Hyundai does not seem too intent to sell the i20 CRDi. They've been very silent about its launch - like during the Getz CRDi launch. Not a single adverstisement.

Either that, or they've lost interest in the Indian market.
Today's Times of India, Bangalore carries a half page advt.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:31   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Exactly. I was checking the Hyundai UK site and the price difference between a comparable trim level of 1.2 petrol and 1.4petrol AT was just GBP 1400. This translates roughly to about Rs 1.1 lacs at current exchange rate. Even adding up the duty difference, it should not be more than 1.5 lacs. But on road price here is higher by 2+ lacs which is atrocious. Its good that I have decided to buy a used Civic AT instead.
Well am not trying to defend the i20 and its pricing - but you'll get MUCH better value while buying a 2nd hand car at all times. This could be true while buying a Maruti 800 or a S-Class Merc. Though obviously the trouble with 2nd hand cars is that you need to be 100% sure that you're not buying a lemon.

What you need to decide first is whether you want a 2nd hand car or a brand new car...

And also - according to the Hyundai i20 UK site, prices are between GBP 6.8k to 10k; which roughly means 6 lacs - 9 lacs ex-showroom; not that much between UK & India prices in that case.

~Pranav
Old 10th July 2009, 10:25   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4wheels View Post
Guyz...
I went to the dealer Concept Hyundai already(right now on a trip in Ahdbd) after seeing the ad... he says that it is a typo error in his ad and the real price is Rs. 6.33 lakhs....

Also, he made it clear that this is his own ad and not Hyundai release...
Thats exactly what is published in TOI today. Find the news clipping below. The price is infact 6.39 and not 5.96 as advertised yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 10th July 2009, 11:16   #534
Senior - BHPian

No manual

I can't wrap my head over the fact that Hyundai decided to launch the 1.4 petrol only in automatic guise. Why not a manual?

If they had then, they could have easily priced it 40-50K lower. Missed opportunity there I feel.

I was all set to buy the 1.4 asta petrol but then the pricing has put it way beyong my budget.

sigh!!

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 10th July 2009 at 11:26.
Old 10th July 2009, 11:31   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Why not ? Hyundai has better build quality than Tata or Maruti, has better resale value than Ford,Chevy or Fiat, has a competent A S S (not as good as Maruti,but it's good enough),yes they can charge a premium and get away with it,if Honda and Toyota can why can't Hyundai ?
The statement I made was my personal observation based on Hyundai's pricing of their recent launches and not intended to start a discussion on whether they can command a premium or not. Let's not get so touchy about this.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:29   #536
BHPian

Hi ppl,

if one visits the hyundai website for prices (i did it for Mumbai), it says 'introductory prices'. does that mean hyundai plans to increase it prices in a few weks / months (just like Linea). this will kill this already overpriced car....
Old 10th July 2009, 13:02   #537
BHPian

hey all,

probably off topic, but what do you feel abt the i20 1.4 petrol AT version? isnt it a decent car with loads of goodies, very good engine and ofcourse AT. The downside would be:

- Price - Mumbai onroad for 1.4 Asta AT is around 8.5 lacs, which is more than the top end petrol variants of SX4 and Linea. what was hyundai thinking when it set the prices. Agreed it is a auto tranny, but still a hatch expensive than a sedan is disastrous
- FE - i read that i10 AT gives an FE of around 6-7 in city driving. not sure what the new 1.4 gamma engine is capable of, but generally AT results in lower FE. Thats why AT is generally preferred in deisels
Old 10th July 2009, 15:52   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
hey all,

probably off topic, but what do you feel abt the i20 1.4 petrol AT version? isnt it a decent car with loads of goodies, very good engine and ofcourse AT. The downside would be:

- Price - Mumbai onroad for 1.4 Asta AT is around 8.5 lacs, which is more than the top end petrol variants of SX4 and Linea. what was hyundai thinking when it set the prices. Agreed it is a auto tranny, but still a hatch expensive than a sedan is disastrous
- FE - i read that i10 AT gives an FE of around 6-7 in city driving. not sure what the new 1.4 gamma engine is capable of, but generally AT results in lower FE. Thats why AT is generally preferred in deisels
In Bangalore On road price.
Magna diesel with ABS = 7.36 L
Asta diesel = 8.11 L
Asta diesel with sunroof = 8.54 L
Asta AT (Petrol) with Sunroof = 9.5 L
It is expensive

Last edited by TeddyBear : 10th July 2009 at 15:54.
Old 10th July 2009, 16:21   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
In Bangalore On road price.
Magna diesel with ABS = 7.36 L
Asta diesel = 8.11 L
Asta diesel with sunroof = 8.54 L
Asta AT (Petrol) with Sunroof = 9.5 L
It is expensive
It's an understatement to say that it is expensive, the pricing is atrocious!!! So middle level Asta D is 90K more than GP E+, I am not sure if it's worth the premium they are asking for it. In fact Magna with ABS itself is more expensive than GP D E+ and that is really ridiculous.
Old 10th July 2009, 16:29   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thats exactly what is published in TOI today. Find the news clipping below. The price is infact 6.39 and not 5.96 as advertised yesterday.
Can you imagine the talk Hyundai must have had with the dealer for this error. Wont be surprised if the dealer is still walking funny.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks