Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 19:24   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Everyone seems to be shocked here. This is what happens when people don't know what to expect before the truth is revealed.
Not quiet... it's general practice to expect a diesel variant to cost a certain amount extra compared to the petrol versions. If it goes beyond that, then well, we will wait till the company is forced to offer heafty discounts to move the stock. This is not first to Hyundai anyway.

Quote:
I was always saying that a specced i20 1.4 CRDI would be value for money if priced around 75K extra above a similarly specced Punto. And people couldn't agree that the price difference could be that high. When I said asta(O) would be reasonable if priced within 8.3L OTR Bangalore, people were shocked. Now, it is 1.1L above a punto top end and asta(O) will be well above 8.5L OTR Bangalore.
Yes Sir! you surely did predict the price almost correctly. Can you hazard a guess about the sales too?

Quote:
See the bright side of it, Jazz didn't have many of the features that i20 has, jazz petrol is also above 8.5L OTR Bangalore even without many of those equipments. i20 has the diesel heart.
Surely, you don't want to stop till everyone see's your point on the Jazz.... why are you so insistent on comparing the CRDi i20 to the Jazz (or the GP, for that matter)? This is the i20 thread and lets keep it clean please.
Old 7th July 2009, 19:35   #347
BHPian

I had a thriller ride!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
anybody got a td yet of 1.4 crdi
Guys, after seeing the price, I had almost rethinking my interest in CRDi. But but wait... I went for a quick ride and now the decision is made. Firstly, the interiors are almost the same as petrol but the gear stick is wonder in itself. Guys who are thinking of Magna watch out, asta's gear stick is something you will definitely miss.

I am not an expert on the diesels, but I must say it is as quite as a petrol. Ride quality was great. The characteristic pickup is very linear. I had TD few other Diesels and really feel this does not surprise by taking off like rocket, but at the same time, you get the linear accelaration, which I loved. One noticable thing was in 4 and some times in 3rd gear, had to come down to lower gear as I had reached lower rpms. May be it was just bad driving (Petrol driving for 6+ years).

One thing I havent been able to close on is the color. I felt None of the colors on i20 are exciting. Will have to stay put with either silver as black is a taboo...

Over all, I have liked the car inspite of the premium. It is up to my liking for sure.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:00   #348
BHPian

Impotance: Export vs Domestic

My two cents.

I somewhat feel that Hyundai cares only about i20 exports and has released these versions in india just for the heck of it.

The car is brilliant( As two of the TBHPians have described). Quality wise it is right on top. Feature wise too, loaded! But price!? Well, if you are rich and would pay any price for quality, you will probably go for it. Because peace of mind, driving pleasure and satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. There is nothing that you can complain about really. Probably a near perfect hatch IMHO.

But then those who think about the price paid( most of us, including me) may not go for this.

As far as Hyundai is concerned, export wise this car will be a huge hit. domestic sales, they'll be happy with some 500 cars a month sales i guess.

For them i10 would probably be important for the Indian market.
(Would have been great if they released an i10 1.1l crdi with features same as the petrol Sportz equivalent(ABS/airbags optional) with price at say 5.5lakh on road bangalore, probably will be less anywhere else in india. It could probably fill the void left by getz crdi, though not completely!! )
Old 7th July 2009, 20:01   #349
Senior - BHPian

I thought Hyundai would have learnt its lesson from Getz disaster!

But, sadly no, they did a harakiri with i20 pricing too.

Jazz has a serious competition now!
Old 7th July 2009, 20:04   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Firstly, the interiors are almost the same as petrol
Almost?

What's different buddy?
Old 7th July 2009, 20:06   #351
Senior - BHPian

I think Hyundai is happy playing its 'premium' tag in India while it gives value to its European customers by building the i20 here. The i20 comes with segment busting 5 year warranty in UK... how much is it for India?
Old 7th July 2009, 20:10   #352
BHPian

Quote:
That leaves a gaping hole between an affordable i10 and an affordable i20. Not a good move.
They should probably launch an I15 to bridge the gap.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:14   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

its terribly overpriced i can see it going Sonata Transform way,it might have the features but what about the dynamics?

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th July 2009 at 20:16.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:17   #354
BHPian

I think its the gear stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Almost?

What's different buddy?
If I am not wrong, the diesel gear stick is different than the petrol. It has Reverse, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5th in that order. There is a button that controls 1 V/S Reverse on the same slot. This knob looks simply great. I dont remember seeing a similar one in petrol.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:24   #355
Senior - BHPian

i20 CRDi & Petrol Tech Specs & Features

i20 topped it up to the brim. I bet they could have add the ESP, real time millage indicator and distance to empty features too for this price
Attached Files
File Type: pdf i20.pdf (83.0 KB, 740 views)
Old 7th July 2009, 20:33   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone seems to be shocked here. This is what happens when people don't know what to expect before the truth is revealed.

I was always saying that a specced i20 1.4 CRDI would be value for money if priced around 75K extra above a similarly specced Punto. And people couldn't agree that the price difference could be that high. When I said asta(O) would be reasonable if priced within 8.3L OTR Bangalore, people were shocked. Now, it is 1.1L above a punto top end and asta(O) will be well above 8.5L OTR Bangalore.

Enjoy everybody. Looks like Hyundai is trying to give good treatment to those people who were already shocked with Jazz price. See the bright side of it, Jazz didn't have many of the features that i20 has, jazz petrol is also above 8.5L OTR Bangalore even without many of those equipments. i20 has the diesel heart.
Dude, before making all these BIG statements, have you compared feature-by-feature of what i20 offers compared to the rest? Can you point me to another hatch that has ALL the features that i20 offers?

We know you have bought the other car, btw ;-)
Old 7th July 2009, 20:37   #357
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai: you are stupid.. i thought the Getz engine was perfect and would have made the i20 a no brainer, even at this price. i repeat. hyundai: you are stupid.

@ others: the i20 is priced BANG ON with the Linea. if i were a discerning buyer, i would take the Linea Emotion for 30k odd more, and enjoy a good looking car AND a boot. if only the Linea came with the 1.6 diesel (the Pete's box will do for the time being, thank you)
Old 7th July 2009, 20:47   #358
BANNED

All the excitement is marred by the pricing, I fear this car might share its luck with the Fabia diesel or their own Getz Diesel!

I think after the initial party is over & Hyundai has met its export targets, price will undergo revision.

Last edited by bhp1 : 7th July 2009 at 20:50.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:54   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
All the excitement is marred by the pricing, I fear this car might share its luck with the Fabia diesel or their own Getz Diesel!

I think after the initial party is over & Hyundai has met its export targets, price will undergo revision.
Hyundai must be banking on exports and initial honeymoon period now. Once the initial party is over, they would be forced to revise the price. Wait until then.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:55   #360

I will buy i20 when hyundai becomes bankrupt and sell 3 i20s for the price of one. Absolutely stupid pricing. I think they have lost their marbles thinking that their brand will command same prestige as honda or toyota. To me they can only sell cheap santro and i would consider even maruti as a better brand than theirs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed