Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 22:59   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Surely there's something wrong with those figures? Especially since the mpg values differ for urban and extra-urban cycle.
Yup, maybe they ignore the decimals...

Last edited by AbhiJ : 7th July 2009 at 23:01.
Old 7th July 2009, 23:29   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I think everyone's just recovering from the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Everyone seems to be shocked here. This is what happens when people don't know what to expect before the truth is revealed.

I was always saying that a specced i20 1.4 CRDI would be value for money if priced around 75K extra above a similarly specced Punto. And people couldn't agree that the price difference could be that high. When I said asta(O) would be reasonable if priced within 8.3L OTR Bangalore, people were shocked. Now, it is 1.1L above a punto top end and asta(O) will be well above 8.5L OTR Bangalore.
We all wished Hyundai had targeted the 'people' instead of one 'opendro'.

Opendro, u might have very good reasons to defend Hyundai's pricing, and I will not say it is wrong, but then Hyundai will not be able to go around and educate potential buyers how such a price can be justified. The moment you see the price tag of any item, you can 'feel' whether it is priced well or not. Just look at the immediate response of team-bhpians here within hours of the launch of the last 3 premium hatches.

BTW, I dont understand your logic of justifying i20's pricing by comparing it that of Jazz. Jazz is simply not the benchmark. Everyone is pretty unanimous that the Jazz is too overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas View Post
They should probably launch an I15 to bridge the gap.
Old 8th July 2009, 00:40   #378
BHPian

i think before going ho - ha over pricing.

consider this.first blow off thoughts of sedans from your minds please. its a prob when anything crosses 7 lacs. then consider below points.

1) i20 petrol 1.4 has 100 horses with "6 drive modes" AT variable line pressure system with VTVT technology

and CRDI engine has 90 ponies. powerful engine a class leading
Advanced technologies like swirl control valves, hydraulic lash adjusters and electrical EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Maximum Torque 1750~2750 copy pasted from website i know but doesn't that sound good. then it must be.

2) if not class leading i20 has one of the best interiors in its class.

3) its bigger and wider in short spacious. wheel base 2525 longest perhaps

4) no hatchback offers you six airbags even as an option i20 does. sunroof and auto box trans. all these stuff ads to cost. don't like it don't get it.

5) i20 has disk brakes on all four wheels- others i don't think so. "hot hatch" baby it should be fast.

6) i20 has lot of goodies as standard. more than other for sure (accepted punto has unique features like blue and me etc) err....... but punto does not have cooled glove box, 4 disc, etc so!!

i am gonna get bashed for this i know but anyways

lolz even compared to the Verna you have to accept that i20 offers more features. verna has no airbags for instance. verna or accent is a hatch with boot attached (go to hyundai usa) and open your eyes.

man i am so gonna get bashed for this one.

but in my defense i was makin a case for hatchbacks.
Old 8th July 2009, 00:45   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
but in my defense i was makin a case for hatchbacks.
And a very good one at that. The boot space is not the issue here, it is the prestige that many buyers associate with a boot. If you can look past that, cars like the i20 and Jazz suddenly make much more sense.
Old 8th July 2009, 00:49   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
And a very good one at that. The boot space is not the issue here, it is the prestige that many buyers associate with a boot. If you can look past that, cars like the i20 and Jazz suddenly make much more sense.
thanks for you support. but i20 is more value than jazz i think. but thats another issue.

jazz is a super "tini-mini" van hey a new segment in the auto industry. lolz

i also wanna ad that they should launch the 1.4 manual petrol magna, asta, asta(o) these will be priced decently i think. 50-70k less perhaps. less than diesel for sure.

Last edited by Caramelo : 8th July 2009 at 00:56.
Old 8th July 2009, 00:58   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The maturity isn't showing in great numbers here either. If Hyundai has a great product, they have every right to price it at a premium.
Exactly ,first people were complaining that its under powered and now after getting the 1.4 90 ps engine its the slightly higher price which is bothering the members.
IMHO a premium hatch with great interiors ,modern looks, adequate safety features plus a well established A.S.S network deserves some premium over others.
Those who are willing to pay extra for a good product will definitely go for it ,for others am sure there is a Fiat dealership nearby.

Quote:
1) i20 petrol 1.4 has 100 horses with "6 drive modes" AT variable line pressure system with VTVT technology

and CRDI engine has 90 ponies. powerful engine a class leading
Advanced technologies like swirl control valves, hydraulic lash adjusters and electrical EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Maximum Torque 1750~2750

2) if not class leading i20 has one of the best interiors in its class.

3) its bigger and wider in short spacious. wheel base 2525 longest perhaps

4) no hatchback offers you six airbags even as an option i20 does. sunroof and auto box trans.

5) i20 has disk brakes on all four wheels- others i don't think so. "hot hatch" baby it should be fast.

6) i20 has lot of goodies as standard. more than other for sure

But its not a Fiat.!
Old 8th July 2009, 01:04   #382
BHPian

Overall I am very much impressed by the features provided by the i20 even in the base model.

If the price was slightly lower than the current level, it would have a been grand success for them.

Hopefully price may fall a little bit atleast in the near future.
Old 8th July 2009, 01:06   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
But its not a Fiat.!
i am gaga over punto myself

but you gotta respect the competition they are playing tits for tats or nehle pe dehla. did that sound naughty cause it shouldn't

first punto with 1.3 multijet one more horsy than swift

then came i20 crdi with 90 ps.

then vw with 1.6ltr diesel 100 ps for polo

and drrrrrr........drums 1.9 ltr PD from skoda in fabia somewhere in future lolz.

Last edited by Caramelo : 8th July 2009 at 01:08.
Old 8th July 2009, 01:21   #384
nbr
BHPian

Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
Hyundai is regarded lower than honda and others is because it keeps on dropping the price of its cars same as in mobiles or computers.

Good one, Ahuja365 , they keep dropping their prices,If today somebody buys the I20,tmrw it will available in the price range of Getz . We have seen before..Dont be suprised with the dead stock of Sonata,they will end up selling it at the price of Verna
Old 8th July 2009, 01:26   #385
Senior - BHPian

@Caramelo - Buddy i think you didn't understand that comment.

Anyway ,looking forward to a T.D now or hope somebody will post a T.D report soon.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 8th July 2009 at 01:29.
Old 8th July 2009, 01:35   #386
BHPian

AutocarIndia's testdrive of I20.
Overall review seems to conclude that I20 CRDI is good but not great.

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

They were complaining about "iffy plastics", "poor ride" and even 90bhp seems insufficient?
So even after spending so much money you are supposed to compromise? why?

Last edited by neotraveller : 8th July 2009 at 01:47.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:11   #387
Senior - BHPian

Errrr they also said - `Still, the i20’s hugely spacious, comfortable and well-equipped interiors are a nice place to be`

And

`n fact, what sets this engine apart from the others is its levels of refinement. This is possibly the quietest diesel in a hatchback`

`Where it excels is in the mid-range which is very strong and great for effortless overtaking`

I think we should wait for someone to post a proper T.D report here or take one ourselves.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 8th July 2009 at 02:12.
Old 8th July 2009, 06:33   #388
Senior - BHPian

By December 2010, India’s largest car exporter Hyundai will shift a portion of the output of the model to one of facilities in Turkey, the Czech Republic or Slovakia to take production closer to its large overseas markets such as Germany, France, Italy and the UK. While India will remain as the main production hub for the car, the European orders will be met from the new production facility
Source: Economic Times.
Old 8th July 2009, 07:41   #389
ashwinpak

"the conservative 5,000rpm redline on the tacho"

Thats all? Just 5000rpm? Are all diesel engines like this?

"This engine has neither the responsiveness of the Ford 1.4 Duratorq or the rev-happy nature of the Fiat 1.3 multi-jet motor. Where it excels is in the mid-range which is very strong and great for effortless overtaking. "

Well, not very inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

They were complaining about "iffy plastics", "poor ride" and even 90bhp seems insufficient?

Last edited by ashwinpak : 8th July 2009 at 07:47.

Old 8th July 2009, 08:26   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

Since when did we start taking magazine reviews seriously? Did you read the first test report by kpzen a few days ago?

Let us wait for some real reviews here in t-bhp.

Also, just because H plonked in that diesel engine, plastics cannot become iffy suddenly!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed