Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 08:36   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Good one, Ahuja365 , they keep dropping their prices.
They did it with ONE model i.e. Getz. Stop treating them like GM, for heavens sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
AutocarIndia's testdrive of I20.
Overall review seems to conclude that I20 CRDI is good but not great.

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

They were complaining about "iffy plastics", "poor ride" and even 90bhp seems insufficient?
So even after spending so much money you are supposed to compromise? why?
Do you buy your cars based on Autocar reviews? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
By December 2010, India’s largest car exporter Hyundai will shift a portion of the output of the model to one of facilities in Turkey, the Czech Republic or Slovakia to take production closer to its large overseas markets such as Germany, France, Italy and the UK. While India will remain as the main production hub for the car, the European orders will be met from the new production facility
Source: Economic Times.
That's a very interesting point you've made there, Arun! It will be interesting to see the change in Hyundai's product portfolio and pricing strategy once the EU orders are routed to the other manufacturing facility, whichever one it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
"the conservative 5,000rpm redline on the tacho"

Thats all? Just 5000rpm? Are all diesel engines like this?
Err.....yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Since when did we start taking magazine reviews seriously? Did you read the first test report by kpzen a few days ago?

Let us wait for some real reviews here in t-bhp.

Also, just because H plonked in that diesel engine, plastics cannot become iffy suddenly!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:04   #392
BHPian

I am also waiting to see a credible TD report from team-bhp

Autocar
Quote:
Performance isn’t earth shattering and like most diesels, there’s a nice wave of torque that builds up but there’s not much action in either the lower or upper parts of the rev band. This engine has neither the responsiveness of the 1.4 Duratorq or the rev-happy nature of the 1.3

multi-jet motor. Where it excels is in the mid-range which is very strong and great for effortless overtaking.
Going by the review it should be good for the city driving... But i dont think this is credible. Even the zigwheels said that the punto had FE only 8-9 inside the city before it was launched. Now from users i get to hear that they have a FE of 11-12 even in city B to B ride.

Moral of the story:
Do not go by the autocar reviews. Just wait till someone gets hands on it on a regular useage. But who is going to tie the bell to the cat is all to gather is entirely a different matter.........
Old 8th July 2009, 09:07   #393
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Value perception is different to each individual.

The correct price for any commodity is the maximum amount a buyer is willing to pay for the same.

If the car is actually overpriced, it simply wont sell. If it does sell even after that, then it was worth the asking price. Simple.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:09   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Those who are willing to pay extra for a good product will definitely go for it ,for others am sure there is a Fiat dealership nearby.
True. Except that there will not be too many willing to pay 'extra' for a good hatch. In India, most of the people who buy hatches, buy it cos they cant afford a sedan. And there is a limit to which they will put their money into a hatch. i20 CRDi, IMHO, crosses this threshold limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
But its not a Fiat.!
faithless, why can't u be at least faithful to mod's request not to bring in the Fiat comparison?
Old 8th July 2009, 09:16   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
True. Except that there will not be too many willing to pay 'extra' for a good hatch. In India, most of the people who buy hatches, buy it cos they cant afford a sedan. And there is a limit to which they will put their money into a hatch. i20 CRDi, IMHO, crosses this threshold limit.
@Minardi - we can't be so sure yet. Many of us had the same opinion when the i20 1.2p was launched at what seemed like a steep (non VFM) price. But check out, even H was surprised by its success. IMHO, this is a segment that did not exist in its truest sense (Fabia, Fusion not withstanding) before.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:18   #396
BHPian

i20 CRDI Observations

Had a test drive of the i20 CRDI yesterday and following are my observations. Some of them are specific to diesel and others in general to i20.

+ves

1. The engine is super refined and very very silent. Except the initial clatter of the diesel you dont feel its a diesel either at idle or while the burner is running. Excellent NVH damping provided to insulate the cabin from all the engine noise.

2. The car eager to surge to move forward at the slightest release of the clutch, very nice feel when taking the car off the block.

3. The mid range blows you away and between 1800-2200 rpm the vehicle pulls ahead quite well.

4. The front seats are the best places to be in this car. The drivers sit gives a good wrap around your shoulders and hold your back quite well.

5. Good stubby gear level with very short throws are a welcome addition to the hyundai cars. It felt very good to engage them.

6. The accelerator pedal is very light to use and is effortless in city conditions, though the clutch seems to have a fair amount of play.

-ves

1. There is quite a bit of lag in the low range below 1800 rpm. Especially on 3rd gear at around a speed of 40 km/hr, the beast takes quite a long time to hit its preferred rev band come what may. I was almost standing on the accelerator pedal!!. Cannot comment on the hi end of the rev end since I did not get a chance to check that out.

2. Rear leg room was a huge dissapointment for me. Considering this car is a premium hatch and has quite a significant wheel base but that doesnt get translated to either a good leg room or shoulder room at the back. My biggest letdown on the GP was its rear leg room and this doesnt seem to be too much better. But I must say the seat lumbar support and the inclination are quite comfortable.

3. The back seat has a hump in the center for the fifth person a la SX4. You would not want to put anyone in that seat unless he is your sworn enemy .

4. The steering was completely devoid of any feedback, felt very light even at speeds of around 60 km/hr.

For me the only point that was going through my mind all through the drive was what is in it that makes it a cool 1.2L costlier than the GP emotion Pk. The equipment levels are comparable on both of them. I expected the space at the rear and the responsiveness of the engine to be the winner. but unfortunately I came with only two other convincing reasons :-

1. The engine is very refined with very low NVH combined with excellent fit and finish of materials used.
2. The slanted 'H' badge which has a better reputation in India than Fiat.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:26   #397
BHPian

Quote:
what is in it that makes it a cool 1.2L costlier than the GP emotion Pk
And you forgot the quality of plastics !!!. Thats what decides the quality of the car !!! lol
Old 8th July 2009, 09:30   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Good one, Ahuja365 , they keep dropping their prices,If today somebody buys the I20,tmrw it will available in the price range of Getz
Just one price cut dosen't make it a trend. They cut the prices of their cars only when they are going to be discontinued.

Look at what GM does, they've reduced the price of the spark sooo many times, such that nobody knows the 'curent' price of the car, the price in the morning may have been further reduced by evening!!

Also, look at what Fiat did with the 1.6? It was almost 6lac in the beginning, and then they kept reducing till around 4.2 or something.

Nobody has a complaint for any of this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
AutocarIndia's testdrive of I20.
Overall review seems to conclude that I20 CRDI is good but not great.

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

They were complaining about "iffy plastics", "poor ride" and even 90bhp seems insufficient?
So even after spending so much money you are supposed to compromise? why?
Of course not. hyundai does not pay them. The ritz has superior plastics and the i20 is bad?? These idiots are blind. The i20 has one of the best interiors ( if not the best) in this segment(And a segment above), the plastics are very good too. Autocar always finds fault with Hyundai's interiors. I still haven't seen the 'shockingly cheap' plastics in the getz that autocar reported.

In short. Many people i know have stopped reading autocar due to this bias. Not only against hyundai, but some other companies they do not like too.

Anyways, According to me the i20plastics are the best in the range, and m judgement is all i care about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
"the conservative 5,000rpm redline on the tacho"

Thats all? Just 5000rpm? Are all diesel engines like this?

"This engine has neither the responsiveness of the Ford 1.4 Duratorq or the rev-happy nature of the Fiat 1.3 multi-jet motor. Where it excels is in the mid-range which is very strong and great for effortless overtaking. "

Well, not very inspiring.
Ford Duratorq?? responsive?? The diesel?? I rest my case. Refer to the point made earlier!

Btw, what does one do after 5000 rpm in a diesel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
@Minardi - we can't be so sure yet. Many of us had the same opinion when the i20 1.2p was launched at what seemed like a steep (non VFM) price. But check out, even H was surprised by its success. IMHO, this is a segment that did not exist in its truest sense (Fabia, Fusion not withstanding) before.
Yes! Its too early to predict doom. the i20 P is a success, and not many big hatches have been successful in India. What i'v understood about the Indian consumer, is that if he gets good value for what he is paying, they are willing to pay a lil extra too.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:41   #399
BHPian

Quote:
the i20 P is a success
Really?. i dont see much of a i20 even after 6 months after launch. But when i10 was launched (even 1.2 kappa after) i could see hoards of the vehicle within 3 months on the road. I guess it is too early to comment whether the vehicle is success or not. Only now i20 p has come out on roads after initial hiccup and delay in delivering the asta models
Old 8th July 2009, 09:46   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Really?. i dont see much of a i20 even after 6 months after launch. But when i10 was launched (even 1.2 kappa after) i could see hoards of the vehicle within 3 months on the road. I guess it is too early to comment whether the vehicle is success or not. Only now i20 p has come out on roads after initial hiccup and delay in delivering the asta models

Do not compare cars from two different segments. I see more 800's than swifts, does that make the swift a failure?

The i20 had some supply issues initially, bu the car is doing good volumes, according to the sales figures by the dealer here. All the cars the factory manages to produce are lapped up quickly!
Old 8th July 2009, 09:50   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Btw, what does one do after 5000 rpm in a diesel??
I can answer that since I proclaim myself as diesel driver Shift to the next gear. The torque is so much that you still get so much pull in higher gears too.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:53   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I can answer that since I proclaim myself as diesel driver Shift to the next gear. The torque is so much that you still get so much pull in higher gears too.

Yes, I know.! I was merely being sarcastic about the so called 'only 5000 on the meter' story!
Old 8th July 2009, 09:53   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Do not compare cars from two different segments
I compared the sales only and nothing else . My point was stressing on that it is too early to comment that the car is a success as the car has just got on road after supply issues.
anyways that is just my 2 cents
Old 8th July 2009, 10:00   #404
BHPian

Impact of the "inflated i20 prices"

Just to get a real sense of the impact, is there anybody in team bhp who had booked a CRDi i20 and cancelled it now. Or even wider, how many of our members who were eager to buy i20 D are now not with it?

Response to this will provide clarity on the opinion rather than just disappointment at the pricing!

My response - I had hoped for better pricing but, will still go with CRDi i20.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:04   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
I compared the sales only and nothing else.
Which is an irrelevant comparision.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed