Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 12:06   #421
BANNED

Earlier Hyundai were slated to launch i20 somewhere in Dec 09, but the recent launches of Jazz, Punto, Ritz, made them advance their launch. This move I believe has beared on the pricing. So, I guess till Dec. or early next year, Hyundai would be supplying to the stingy demand & milking margins & then when they are ready with the capacity, give it the right(reduced) price.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:19   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With this pricing, it seems like Hyundai doesn't want to target the budget-conscious-buyers.
They want to target their export market and Indians who don't mind paying a "premium" for a hatch.
So ?
I don't see a harm in that.

Quote:
I am sure Maruti commands a better brand image compared to Hyundai in India!
Wow ,good for Maruti.

Quote:
If Maruti can price Swift, Ritz at reasonable levels, why is Hyundai overpricing their cars?
Sit inside both the Swift and a Santro or a Getz ,you`ll see/feel why they charge slightly more.

For once guys ,ignore the brand and focus more on the car..!
Am sure we`v all had enough of the brand wars.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 8th July 2009 at 12:22.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:19   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't think you can write a lie in this forum and get away with it. the 1.6 was never priced at 6L. Even the limited edition S10 was 5.75 ex. And that was the premium for the signature of GOD. The top end GTX had Alloys, ABS and Airbag.
Yes the 1.6 GTX was indeed priced at 6 lac+ when launched. The last few models of S10 were even sold at discounts.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:24   #424
Team-BHP Support

The pricing is on the high side agreed but it is not that bad.

Look at this way. If I were to buy a Swift at 6.2L with ABS and then add alloys and wider tyres for 50K, then some decent ICE for 30K, remote locking and some other stuff, I would have spent close to 7L. Still I would not get airbags, climate control, electrical mirrors, rear wash wipe, tilt and telescoping steering, onboard trip computer, steering mounted audio controls. With the i20 I get all the above features, 15bhp more, better quality interiors, more space compared to swift, lesser rattles and more.

I think 1L is justifiable when compared to swift. The 80K extra compared to the Punto makes the i20 look expensive since both are similarly speced. Once i drive the Punto MJD and i20CRDi I will be in a better position to decide whether the i20 commands the premium.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:33   #425
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai strategy seems to be simple
"premium product - premium profits"
many Korean companies nowadays are following this strategy (not only auto sectors but others also)

what it means is selling a premium product at a higher price they are able to maintain the same turnover
eg : if profit on 1 santro is 5k
profit on i 20 is say 50k

then by selling 1 i 20 they are making the same profit / turnover as selling 10 santros
Old 8th July 2009, 12:40   #426
BHPian

Premium can not be decided by company alone , premium is what a consumer is willing to pay and if people wants to Pay premium for i 20 why not . Hyundai is any day in a better shape than ex Big 3 .
Old 8th July 2009, 12:47   #427
BHPian

They will play this game as long as there are some people willing to shell out those extra bucks. If not, they have their export market anyway. Make hay while sun shines. Honda is adopting a similar strategy (although with more outrageous pricing) too.

I don't see prices on I20 dropping unless they want to compete properly in the Indian mass market (with Swift/Ritz & Punto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Hyundai strategy seems to be simple
"premium product - premium profits"
Old 8th July 2009, 12:52   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Look at this way. If I were to buy a Swift at 6.2L with ABS and then add alloys and wider tyres for 50K, then some decent ICE for 30K, remote locking and some other stuff, I would have spent close to 7L. Still I would not get airbags, climate control, electrical mirrors, rear wash wipe, tilt and telescoping steering, onboard trip computer, steering mounted audio controls. With the i20 I get all the above features, 15bhp more, better quality interiors, more space compared to swift, lesser rattles and more.

I think 1L is justifiable when compared to swift. The 80K extra compared to the Punto makes the i20 look expensive since both are similarly speced. Once i drive the Punto MJD and i20CRDi I will be in a better position to decide whether the i20 commands the premium.
Which Swift would you buy at 6.2L & not get climate control, Airbags, Tilt steering integrated stereo with controls on steering wheel, rear wash wiper, alloy wheels?
Old 8th July 2009, 13:03   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Which Swift would you buy at 6.2L & not get climate control, Airbags, Tilt steering integrated stereo with controls on steering wheel, rear wash wiper, alloy wheels?
The Swift Vdi with ABS that costs Rs.6.2L onroad bangalore.

Also, I just found out the prices in bangalore.

The i20 CRDi Asta is Rs.8.09L onroad bangalore
The fiat Punto MJD emotion pack is Rs.7.27L on road bangalore
The Honda Jazz 1.2L costs Rs.8.44L onroad bangalore.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:03   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think he is referring to Swift VDI with ABS. Also note that he is from Bangalore.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:06   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Swift Vdi with ABS that costs Rs.6.2L onroad bangalore.

Also, I just found out the prices in bangalore.

The i20 CRDi Asta is Rs.8.09L onroad bangalore
The fiat Punto MJD emotion pack is Rs.7.27L on road bangalore
The Honda Jazz 1.2L costs Rs.8.44L onroad bangalore.
What??

Damn you get a Swift ZXi around 5.88 here, how much does ZXi cost in Bangalore?
Old 8th July 2009, 13:07   #432
BHPian

I think vid was talking about on road price for the swift vdi with abs, that would come on road for about 6 lacs.

Talking that into account the i20 could sound good to some.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:12   #433
BHPian

Quote:

Makes logical sense, but i doubt whether it works that way in practice. Someone who has a budget of 8L in the first place, will not even think of a 6.2L Swift. And I doubt he/she will even look at a hatch in the first place.

It is those, who have a budget of a max 6 L, stretch it out to 6.2L to buy a Swift. Then they are too broke to add anything else
Old 8th July 2009, 13:17   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
Makes logical sense, but i doubt whether it works that way in practice. Someone who has a budget of 8L in the first place, will not even think of a 6.2L Swift. And I doubt he/she will even look at a hatch in the first place.

It is those, who have a budget of a max 6 L, stretch it out to 6.2L to buy a Swift. Then they are too broke to add anything else
What you say is true for a chap buying his first car. Yet a significant (though still definitely a minority) of Swifts/i20s are second cars are they not?
Old 8th July 2009, 13:18   #435
BHPian

From my perspective, here are the key messages from the Hyundai I20 launch and pricing (All prices ex-showroom Bangalore, from company sites):

1) If you are a value consumer, please pick I20 Magna CRDI >>
I20 Asta (O) 582200
i20 1.4 Magna Diesel with ABS 619798

I feel the premium over the I20 Asta(O) 1.2 is fair game.

2) If you are looking for a cheaper but decent automatic, just go for I10. There is wide agreement on its virtues

3) If you are looking a for a more premium automatic, what are the choices?
a) Verna 1.5 SX CRDi VGT AT: 865780
b) Honda City:City 1.5 S AT: 922,000
c) I20 1.4 Asta (AT): 731130

So which one is VFM automatic?

Rest of the I20 versions are for those who demand the best features from their cars and are willing to pay for it

I also respect the fact that they are offering 6 air bags and "Sunroof" on their cars. We all know the NO-NOs associated with sunroofs if they are done in aftermarket... Which other manufacturer south of 11 lacs gives you a sunroof?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed