Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 13:19   #436
BHPian

Hyundai to shift production from India!!??

Not sure if this should go here, tried searching a thread for i20 didn't get it so posting here!

Hyundai India has decided to shift part of the production of the i20 for the export market from Chennai to save on logistics costs and import duties in Europe. By December 2010, India’s largest car exporter will shift part of the production of the Hyundai i20 to one of its facilities in Turkey, the Czech Republic or Slovakia to take production closer to its large overseas markets such as Germany, France, Italy and the UK. Logistics costs and import taxes add 10-15% to the price of cars exported from India.

A nearly three-week-long strike by workers at its plant near Chennai in April and May hit output, leading the company to shift production of some models to other manufacturing sites. The strike led to a 5% drop in production, forcing the company to re-think on its export target. Hyundai is banking heavily on the stimulus packages being rolled out by various European nations, where cash incentives the equivalent of up to Rs 3 lakh are being provided to buy fuel-efficient cars such as the i20.

The Chennai facility is a major global manufacturing hub for Hyundai’s small cars and has the capacity to produce 6 lakh units a year. Exports accounted for about half of the company’s sales of nearly 5 lakh units in 2008. The wholly-owned Indian arm of the South Korean company exported 1.35 lakh cars in the first six months of 2009, a 22% increase over the year-ago period. The i20 is expected to account for over 40% of exports for 2009-10.

Source: Motorbeam
Old 8th July 2009, 13:31   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The pricing is on the high side agreed but it is not that bad.

Look at this way. If I were to buy a Swift at 6.2L with ABS and then add alloys and wider tyres for 50K, then some decent ICE for 30K, remote locking and some other stuff, I would have spent close to 7L. Still I would not get airbags, climate control, electrical mirrors, rear wash wipe, tilt and telescoping steering, onboard trip computer, steering mounted audio controls. With the i20 I get all the above features, 15bhp more, better quality interiors, more space compared to swift, lesser rattles and more.

I think 1L is justifiable when compared to swift. The 80K extra compared to the Punto makes the i20 look expensive since both are similarly speced. Once i drive the Punto MJD and i20CRDi I will be in a better position to decide whether the i20 commands the premium.
Going by your logic above, the i20 is terribly overpriced when compared to Punto E+ because even the base i20 magna diesel commands a premium of 10k.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:47   #438
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Which Swift would you buy at 6.2L & not get climate control, Airbags, Tilt steering integrated stereo with controls on steering wheel, rear wash wiper, alloy wheels?
You might be talking about the on-road prices. I was quoting ex showroom. Where do you get a 1.6 sport for 4.2 on road?

Old 8th July 2009, 14:04   #439
BHPian

Heh! I wonder if this is an i20 thread anymore. It's more of FIAT vs HYUNDAI.
Come on guys no point bashing FIAT or HYUNDAI. Wonder why FIAT fanboys are bashing i20 everywhere on the forum.
Let the choice be left to an individual who wanna buy these cars and pay the so called *premium* to show off the i20 in their garages.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:19   #440
Senior - BHPian

Vid: well put.

Most cant accept the fact that a hatch costs 8lac OTR. They forget its loaded like a Merc !

Even I thought it was costly till I read your post.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:27   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let the choice be left to an individual who wanna buy these cars and pay the so called *premium* to show off the i20 in their garages.
No No ,we are here to (Forcibly) educate the buyers about which car/company is best for them.
The verdict is.....Hyundai`s cheating the Indian junta.
Shame on them.!
Old 8th July 2009, 14:29   #442
BHPian

After going through the threads on Punto, Jazz, i20 P and now i20 D, I observe that there is something or the other which the general members are unhappy about with each.

Punto has most favorable comments amongst the 3, based on it being a Fiat, lower price compared to the others, but taken a beating on interior quality and A.S.S.

Jazz is underequipped, overpriced but gives one quality and brand equity.

i20 falls somewhere between the above 2, a balancing act. The 1.2 P has all going for it except price and engine. General view - wait for a better engine.

Now that i20 D is here - All the i20P +ves, plus a good 1.4 CRDi (first impressions). -ves? Ofcourse still the price, because... [One can add n number of reasons from the brand to it being just a hatchback, to more expensive than Fiat MJD etc etc].

I couldn't help but think, what are we really expecting of a premium hatchback? Super engine, loaded to the gills, quality but priced at a discount such that one doesn't get into that mindset of 'I can pay just xxx extra and get a sedan'?
Isn't it wishful thinking that we can get all we desire at OUR price??
Old 8th July 2009, 14:35   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Heh! I wonder if this is an i20 thread anymore. It's more of FIAT vs HYUNDAI.
Come on guys no point bashing FIAT or HYUNDAI. Wonder why FIAT fanboys are bashing i20 everywhere on the forum.
Come on, you really don't know why? Don't you remember the famous Onida tagline?
Old 8th July 2009, 14:37   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
What??

Damn you get a Swift ZXi around 5.88 here, how much does ZXi cost in Bangalore?
Almost the same as the VDI with ABS only 5K lesser. Rs.6.15L for the ZXi.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:41   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
No No ,we are here to (Forcibly) educate the buyers about which car/company is best for them.
The verdict is.....Hyundai`s cheating the Indian junta.
Shame on them.!
Time to move on from the fiats and the rest guys. Indianised goods are for the older gen the present gen asks for quality and not price. India is soon heading in this direction. i20 is not overpriced to substantiate my claim i can say with bad quality plastics and not so great engine the fiat MJD is just about 30 or 40 thousand less. I think i20 is a fair deal in comparison to the MJD.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:43   #446
BHPian

IMO i20 is 25-30K more on ex-showroom prices which adds up 50-60k on road price . I was keen on i20 diesel if it was 1lacs more than getz crdi onroad prices . now also it is confirmed getz crdi production is stopped , it would have been good if had opted for the promo price .

Good luck for the lucky ones who had managed get the last few pocket rocket at mouth watering price.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:49   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Good luck for the lucky ones who had managed get the last few pocket rocket at mouth watering price.
It was a rocket without safety (read as ABS, EBD, airbags etc. etc.) so it is only better when replaced with i20
Old 8th July 2009, 15:01   #448
BANNED

Many comments on the forum say that Indians have a snob value for Sedans. Just curious to know do hatches sell more or Sedans sell more, particularly in DEVELOPED countries?
What I saw - In Australia, I've seen mostly the Sedans only, very very few negligible hatches.
Old 8th July 2009, 15:13   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Many comments on the forum say that Indians have a snob value for Sedans. Just curious to know do hatches sell more or Sedans sell more, particularly in DEVELOPED countries?
What I saw - In Australia, I've seen mostly the Sedans only, very very few negligible hatches.
Europe is majorly hatch/touring(station wagon) territory..
Old 8th July 2009, 15:27   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Thats a very difficult question to answer particularly because so many parameters vary in those countries.
For example, in some developed countries an engine below 2.0 liter might be considered punny (only recently, the 1.4 TSi is being felt as adequate, it makes 120 bhp).
A hatch in developed country is not restricted to sub 4 meter length (some 5 meter station wagons can technically be called hatchbacks).
A hatch may not be a stripped down version of a luxurious sedan.
In those countries the parking space you own does not determine the type of car you buy.
Hatches have a lot of "fun to drive" factor attached to them in developed world (out there mostly hatchbacks are two door, with an uncomfortable seat for mother-in-laws).

Last edited by pb10gagan : 8th July 2009 at 15:38.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks