Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 19:17   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
What are you expecting? A Superb?
Oh chill please dont kill me for this.... I am not going that far! I am just compairing it to the other car in 'its' segment.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:22   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it does, go ahead and pick it up. You are the only one who finally decides what suits your palette.

@ Others : Sorry, but too many recent launches + the server upgrade work kept me away from the i20 testdrive. Will try to arrange one soon.
This is the post i was waiting for since the launch.
Like many others here am deciding between GP and i20 Crdi so waiting for your review
Old 8th July 2009, 19:31   #483
Senior - BHPian

I just saw an I20 today. I couldn't find much difference in the petrol and diesel apart from the CRDi badge at the b*m. Atleast they could have done something like a spoiler or something.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:53   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Any idea why this delay for kolkata?
Mukesh Hyundai have the cars.
Will be going to get a test drive tomorrow.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:54   #485
Senior - BHPian

Had driven the i20 1.2 L Petrol and was terribly disappointed. But with the diesel the pick up thing should be taken care off. But at 8 Lakhs??? I kind off agree with Vahan Pujari's P.O.V here.

Some how I20 doesn't look anywhere near the VFM product. But again VFM is a relative thing isn't it as Vitamin M is.
Old 8th July 2009, 22:52   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I fail to understand why you find it so funny. Parking space is no joke these days. I know of atleast 5 people on the forum who chose a hatch just because a saloon wouldn't fit into their parking. And they all bought the top end models. You see, price isn't always the primary concern for everyone. ...
Beautiful! Look at it this way. If these people had sufficient parking spaces, they would have bought a sedan, right? Sedans still rule our country, call it snob value or whatever.

I can see the point of Hyundai boys' efforts in finding value for an 8L hatch. The point is that, most of the 'value' comes from 'bells and whistles' and not from the 'main course'. It is difficult to sign a cheque of 8L is you are not getting the snob value of the straight H or equivalent, and/or the snob value of a sedan.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:58   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Why so? Isn't the i20 actually longer and wider than the Jazz by a bit?
Sorry, that sentence was a bit badly worded. What I meant is that i20 CRDi ticks all the boxes better than the Jazz.

Look my point is simple. A lot of people, esp the young family types who are not really old at heart yet and have the cash would prefer this hatch over a sedan because it offers a good mixture of both worlds. And I haven't even mentioned the A.S.S. part yet.

I would buy the GP anyday (would be bored stiff by the same old national engine, though, having driven my Palio Multijet day in and day out for more than a year now). But I don't have 8 lakhs to spare and I am not married either nor do I place more value on quality interiors over outright handling / performance. But there are enough people who do.

This car can do exactly what the Fabia has tried to do, but failed. So does the Jazz, but the Jazz has a serious shortcoming, the lack of a diesel engine.

Last edited by architect : 9th July 2009 at 00:00.
Old 9th July 2009, 00:11   #488
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller
Lived in US for 4 years.
The americans ridicule small cars ... the bigger the better for them. Not many hatches there. Their wide roads, cheap petrol prices all re-inforce this thinking.

VW Beetle/Mini cooper were the only hatchbacks that were popular (more as a fancy car), but 9/10 times you see only girls behind the wheel.

many people buy the sporty 2-Door coupe sedans too. And as far as 4-dr sedans considered, corolla/civic/lancer/Altima etc are generally considered the starting-level sedans.
Not only Americans, What I saw in Australia is hardly any small hatches, & my guess is list will be long in pther developed countries too.

Forget Developed countries, Bangkok (Thailand) also has mostly Sedans with Toyota Corrola serving as Taxi's (fare is almost comparable to Mumbai Taxi fare of 30-yr old Padmini's)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
What suits us may not suit them & vice versa.
Exactly. My question is why we do say that INDIANs have snob value for Sedans. How do we conclude what suits us? Do we say smaller hatch suits us - why? Is it because when Car industry evolved in India, it started with Fiat, M800 & then other "affordable" hatches & looking at Income distribution of our population, those are the most affordable cars for larger part of population? Do we say this? If the answer is yes, then Hatch is selling more here because IT IS (or WAS?) CONSIDERED TO BE AFFORDABLE.
Its only now that these premium hatches are priced in upper band that this debate gained momentum.
But then the issue is why do we compare a top-end hatch with a low-end sedan to drive home a point? Why can't we compare Apple to Apple?
e.g. Punto E+ is to be compared with Linea E+
i20 Asta (O) CRDI is to be compared with Verna top-end (with additional cost of Airbags in Verna)
Jazz? - Well, nothing to compare about . Can't compare with ANHC as Jazz has only 1.2 Engine

Sedan is not only a "Hatch+Boot". One of the most imp parameter is the safety on highway. Then there are other parameters Ride & Handling Qualities etc. Only Punto compares with Sedans in these parameters of safety & highway manners.
Then why do we accuse INDIANs to have a snob value for Sedan? Isn't it actually a fact that Sedan is several notches above the comparable Hatch?
Any inputs guys? Or silence means something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I fail to understand why you find it so funny. Parking space is no joke these days.
What I observed is parking difficulty is more in Width (And I'm in Mumbai which is the most congested city & most prone to parking issues, if any). If you're not able to find enough width to park a Sedan, 9 out of 10 times you'll not be able to park a hatch as well.
Atleast I've not come across enough situations in Mumbai which are panicky to force me to think about seriously buying a hatch only because of parking issues (And I do not have an owned apartment with dedicated parking either). Hence to me, it is a lame excuse which people give just to prove a point & hence funny. Yes, there would be instances but less in numbers & manageable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Trust me, but apart from higher emissions (more metal), a sedan (for me Corolla) has not made any negative difference in my commute time. It looks big but so far not even a single instance when I had to go away from my parking because my big sedan car would not fit. Neither have I encountered any situation when I felt that a Santro would have made it in a tight spot but not a Corolla. It is just an urban legend IMHO.

That being said, I would definitely consider a `premium' hatch (or even a budget hatch). Premium for me is not defined by the price (high price, low happiness=rip off), but its quality and features (high price, higher quality, highest service=VFM for me).
Precisely. If you do an Apple-to-Apple comparison of a similar Top-end hatch with a similar top-end sedan, there is not much that a hatch can offer more which a sedan can't but there is much more a Sedan can offer than a hatch (but pls do not compare a top-end premium hatch with a low-end Sedan).
Why are we still accusing INDIANs to have a snob value for sedans?

Last edited by VahanPujari : 9th July 2009 at 00:17.
Old 9th July 2009, 01:25   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this is totally off topic, but
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Precisely. If you do an Apple-to-Apple comparison of a similar Top-end hatch with a similar top-end sedan, there is not much that a hatch can offer more which a sedan can't but there is much more a Sedan can offer than a hatch (but pls do not compare a top-end premium hatch with a low-end Sedan).
What? All I can say from having driven a VW Golf and a Rover 620 is that the saloon (as we Brits call it, perhaps not such a luxury word as 'sedan') was much less convenient for carrying stuff
Quote:
Why are we still accusing INDIANs to have a snob value for sedans?
Because they undoubtedly do. I wonder why the Jetta is here, and not the Golf? I'd hazard a guess that the Golf is more popular in Europe; I used to regard the Jetta as a Golf with a boot stuck on it.
Old 9th July 2009, 08:36   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
What I observed is parking difficulty is more in Width (And I'm in Mumbai which is the most congested city & most prone to parking issues, if any). If you're not able to find enough width to park a Sedan, 9 out of 10 times you'll not be able to park a hatch as well.
You see, parking issues are different for each person. I don't see the point is trying to correct you since you see hell bent on sticking to your opinion. So be it. But please give respect to others views too. As i said, each person has a different situation.

ANYWAY, aren't we going waaay off topic?? why do 'some people' have to always come into most 'other' car discussions and turn the direction of discussion totally? This happens in most threads nowadays. Very annoying. This is NOT a hatch Vs saloon thread, NOR is it about developed and developing nations, its about the i20! Keep the discussion focussed guys.
Old 9th July 2009, 08:51   #491
BHPian

i20 CRDi Asta - Booked!

Yesterday I booked a silver diesel!! And the wait time is supposedly 1.5 months Also heard there were close 20 booking on CRDi yesterday only. So if this represents some trend then you know what to expect...
Old 9th July 2009, 09:49   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Yesterday I booked a silver diesel!! And the wait time is supposedly 1.5 months Also heard there were close 20 booking on CRDi yesterday only. So if this represents some trend then you know what to expect...
Congratulations! What's the deal you got?
Old 9th July 2009, 09:57   #493
BHPian

For all those arguing between hatch and sedan, it is meaningless as the difference is just about a foot between the premium hatch (i20, fabia, punto, jazz) and most other sedans (ikon, fiesta, verna, city, etc.)

I too feel the lack of parking a car when going out to small shops. That is why I keep a scooter (Honda Aviator, right now) and a bicycle. Everytime, I'm under pressure of time, I just take out either of these two bikes.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:00   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Congratulations! What's the deal you got?
Well, the dealer was very rigid on any freebies. Symbolic mats, idol, perfume and teflon is what he has promised. And sunfilm at discount is what he has promised. Any way I wasnt counting on any other discounts like loyalty/corporate etc as both the dealers in Blore had said they wont offer on well selling cars.
Any way as the car is fully loaded, dont expect more expense than the Onroad price!
Old 9th July 2009, 10:07   #495
Senior - BHPian

I still think the i20 CRDi is the the best premium hatch for the family types and has that edge over the Jazz because of the CRDi engine.

Regarding the parking issues, sedans are a problem if you are trying to park perpendicular or at an angle to the road on both sides on a typical 9 - 12 m wide housing street. Add to that, given the haphazard way in which the government agencies plonk trees, telephone and electrical junction boxes on the roadside, even parallel parking a hatch is easier.

Let's just stop this here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks