Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 17:23   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 Diesel and 1.4 petrol EDIT: Now Launched..!!!

Just saw this on the economictimes.com. That Hyundai is planning to launch i20 diesel by the end of this year. Apart from that they are planning to launch 2 new products annually for the next 2 years.

Hyundai to launch i20 diesel - News in Pictures | Economic Times

MODS: If this thread is already there, please merge it. I searched but didn't find one!

Sid bhai, please throw some info!
Old 5th May 2009, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

The link also seems to be having a picture of a facelifted i20. looks pretty neat in that blue shade. I shudder to think what the pricing would be ( going by the pricing of the existing i20 variant ) !
Old 5th May 2009, 17:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
The link also seems to be having a picture of a facelifted i20. looks pretty neat in that blue shade. I shudder to think what the pricing would be ( going by the pricing of the existing i20 variant ) !
I am guessing it would be just about a lakh lesser than the Verna Base model or about a lakh more than i20 petrol. But, still it is not worth it and i can see it go the Fabia way.

Btw, where is the blue shade in those pictures, i could only see a maroon color
Old 5th May 2009, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

at best you can call it lilac.

maroon is more like the colour of ICICI LOMBARD you see in the banner ads above ! maroon is a variant of red
Old 5th May 2009, 17:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am guessing it would be just about a lakh lesser than the Verna Base model or about a lakh more than i20 petrol. But, still it is not worth it and i can see it go the Fabia way.

I guess, the Indian mentality is changing(gradually). If we can accommodate for a 7 lakh Jazz then why not an i20. The car manufacturers are targeting the Newly married couples with no children as parking is becoming a huge issues in metros & salaries are good(atleast before recession). This is a part of their targeting strategy.
OT: Being an MBA student can't help the fact of going into strategies.

Bro, if you scan through the pics you will see the blue shade!
Old 5th May 2009, 19:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

"Facelifted" ??? It's not even 6 months since the launch here!
And I don't see either the facelifted i20 or the one in blue shade in the given link or connecting link(s). Do enlighten.

Regards,
Manish
Old 5th May 2009, 21:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
I guess, the Indian mentality is changing(gradually). If we can accommodate for a 7 lakh Jazz then why not an i20. The car manufacturers are targeting the Newly married couples with no children as parking is becoming a huge issues in metros & salaries are good(atleast before recession). This is a part of their targeting strategy.
OT: Being an MBA student can't help the fact of going into strategies.

Bro, if you scan through the pics you will see the blue shade!
See its like asking if accord can sell for 20 lakh why doesnt embera sell for 16 lakh and the fact is both look similar.Honda does it but that doesnot justify hyundai doing it.If i20 is priced above 7 lakh then its in for a toss.I20 is superior in quality compared to getz or i10 but people would rather go for a honda rather than a hyundai for that price.Brand image would be a consideration for a person spending 7 lakh for a hatch.
still it wont be a huge market too,Skoda fabia sales shows it.

cheers

ram
Old 5th May 2009, 21:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Once the Honda Jazz rolls out, the i20 is going to be nowhere.. Brand value matters most in India.

And if some person is looking to buy his first car, he would obviously buy a good sedan for that price.

Last edited by karthik247 : 5th May 2009 at 21:12.
Old 5th May 2009, 21:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

The I20 looks much better than the Jazz. Its very elegant than the Jazz. The Jazz may not appeal to many in terms of looks. And Hyundai is received very well in the economy segment. An I20 diesel for Jazz petrol price (similar trim levels) should sell, if at all the Jazz does well.
Old 5th May 2009, 21:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

The NHC is not a looker, and look how it sold!! Its all in the brand.
Old 5th May 2009, 21:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
See its like asking if accord can sell for 20 lakh why doesnt embera sell for 16 lakh and the fact is both look similar.Honda does it but that doesnot justify hyundai doing it.If i20 is priced above 7 lakh then its in for a toss.I20 is superior in quality compared to getz or i10 but people would rather go for a honda rather than a hyundai for that price.Brand image would be a consideration for a person spending 7 lakh for a hatch.
still it wont be a huge market too,Skoda fabia sales shows it.

cheers

ram
Ram, I am in total agreement with you. But still I have my own doubts. Why is the Indian mentality focused on only a few selected products. Is the Cedia any way poorer than City/Fiesta or any other car. Or is the Maruti providing us the best of quality. Its not that. The picture is rosy on the outside but its a huge black world inside.

I would just like that people should not be following one another(blindly), as if one buys a Honda the others follow. & its not that also that Honda is providing the breakthrough technology or best of services though charging a huge premium.

i am not anti honda or any other brigade, but i like to follow my mind & pocket. I would always go for a VFM car & my signature shows

I just want to say that people should come out & trust Hyundai in their products as they have trusted the Santro & i10.

I guess the above post is too off the track. so mods, please don;t ban me!

Ram, you have a whole lot of experience & i would not go against it! But this was my view!

Cheers

Varun

Last edited by varun.ppl : 5th May 2009 at 21:47.
Old 5th May 2009, 22:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Varun well said and i am fully with you.I had hoped some one would come out with the views that you had just come out with.I had told this in my earlier posts also.I have the same Views that you told.

cheers

ram
Old 6th May 2009, 01:13   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys wots the specs of this ENGINE any idea ? 1.4 crdi ? 80-90bhP?
Old 6th May 2009, 02:03   #14
BHPian

please hyundai give a decent diesel motor in the i20! atleast the same engine as getz crdi. it will be a complete package for me then. and also dont cut down on the equipment list to keep the price in control.
Old 6th May 2009, 07:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is great news! Is i10 also coming with a diesel? If you take the lid off the fuse box in your i10 you can see the desciption of all the fuses in it. There are couple of empty fuse slots in the box and on the lid one such corresponding slot is marked as "ECU(DSL)". ECU Diesel?? Does i10 and i120 share the same fuse box?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed