Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 21:54   #16
BHPian

Can someone explain how SUVs are going to be cheaper by upto 50k as claimed in the article? I can account for only 20k+tax. Is there any additional tax cut in the offing?
Old 7th May 2009, 12:43   #17
BHPian

I thought excise relief was admissible if both parameters viz. length and engine size were below specified limits. For example Swift DDiS enjoys the benefit but Swift Dezire DDiS does not. How will the Dezire benefit from the reduction now?
Old 7th May 2009, 14:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

15 to 20K tax cut would substaintially cut the overall pricing with tax would be lesser for this price cut and rto,insurance would be lesser too, good move if this is passed by ministry.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:10   #19
BHPian

So now with excise duty gone, Hyundai should plonk its Verna CRDi engine into the i20 and give us the best hatchback in the country!
Old 11th May 2009, 11:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
So now with excise duty gone, Hyundai should plonk its Verna CRDi engine into the i20 and give us the best hatchback in the country!
the i20 will fall apart! its such a tinny car! (tho miles ahead of i10)

they should just do a facelift for the verna - design it so it handles better than a boat

back to the topic: in my opinion most people who choose to buy a gas guzzler after the tax break will burn all that 20k in more gas
Old 11th May 2009, 12:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Folks, It is onllhy the additional excise duty leveied on passenger vehicles with capacity over 1500 cc that the Min of heave industy has recommended be abolished.

Since the Verna diesel is already below 1500 cc, the addl excise duty is not applicable. It is cars like the SX4, Fiesta 1.6, logan 1.6 and the Suv's and Muv's that will benefit, if the govt accepts this recommendation.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What it tells me is that our tax authorities are anything but decisive. The additional excise on larger engines was a knee-jerk reaction at best. While a correction is more than welcomed, the govt. needs to realise that they can't impose & dispose as per one man's fancy. Plus, they better realise that larger engines aren't necessarily guzzlers in all cases, a 1.5 liter Altis is more fuel efficient than a 1.2 liter Fabia!

If they have to penalise guzzlers - in the future - do it as per properly regulated FE tests, and not blind engine size parameters.
True but in most cases the cc capacity is a surrogate for FE ( Shar rukh khan might beg to differ )

but yes - the ultimate parameter would be having proper FE numbers declared but that is always so difficult to administer and our govt might just take the easy way out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks