Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2005, 14:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen To Hit Indian Roads

Volkswagen has plans to add their baby into the premium Hatchback segement with the introduction of FOX during the first quarter of next year. They are in the process of acquiring 350 acres in Vishakapatnam to set a unit in India.

Its a treat to watch that more players are getting into the ring
Old 31st May 2005, 14:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mannnnnn i love the Golf ! if that hits india in the 5 lakh price tag (which is very dboutful),Swift ZXI is doooomed !!
Golf just has sooo much class and it feels so refined ..We had a golf for like 6 months , it was our firangi zen .. they can also get the GTI then man , the Skoda RS and GTI have the same powerplant ..

its a great car to have ...
Old 31st May 2005, 14:38   #3
BHPian

this is the fox:

Old 31st May 2005, 14:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

It will need five doors to sell over here
Old 31st May 2005, 14:46   #5
BHPian

well then the Polo should be launched:

U got ur five doors right there.
Old 31st May 2005, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

would they be able to fit the polo in the 4 to 5 lakh bracket .. guess they'll have to carve out the 5 doors in the Fox itself

It's supposedly slightly longer and slightly narrower than the swift .. so rear doors should not be a problem ..
Old 31st May 2005, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Golf in the 5 lakh range! I would definitely go for it if it is in that range. But I really doubt if that is the case. Golf as such is costly everywhere it is sold.
Old 31st May 2005, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
would they be able to fit the polo in the 4 to 5 lakh bracket .. guess they'll have to carve out the 5 doors in the Fox itself

It's supposedly slightly longer and slightly narrower than the swift .. so rear doors should not be a problem ..
Well if they produce the Polo in india...they just might be able to fit it into the 4-5 lakh bracket..and it has a range of diesels as well. I dun think they can carve 5 doors into the FOX cause its not 5 doors anywhere in teh world..the Polo it will have to be.
Old 31st May 2005, 15:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thats fantastic news Suprise!! Who is the source of your information? Skoda, Audi and now VW - Its clear this car maker is getting serious about its Indian intentions.

GTO
Old 31st May 2005, 15:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
VW - Its clear this car maker is getting serious about its Indian intentions.
Well, they have been taking their time about it.. one of the reasons maybe that they are hugely focussed on the China market which is many times bigger than the Indian market.. On Shanghai streets it seemed like, 90% cars were VW.

All said and done, the Golf should be worth waiting for. Now if only they would launch Golf instead of just one more typical hatch.
Old 31st May 2005, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Who is the source of your information?

GTO
I could not hold my temptations in finding out who are the other players slated to put their hands into the hatchback segment, hence did googling to find this news out

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1126291.cms
Old 31st May 2005, 16:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Golf in the 5 lakh range! I would definitely go for it if it is in that range. But I really doubt if that is the case. Golf as such is costly everywhere it is sold.
There is absolutely no way they can sell Golfs in the 5 lakh bracket. If it is sold, it will cost 8-10 lakhs minimum.

I think the Touran could do very well here, it could compete against the Innova.
Old 31st May 2005, 16:38   #13
BHPian

Its in the ET today..but the headline is amusing...it says VW to take on Swift....yeah but the Fox is expected to roll out at end of 2006..so by that time the Swift will have a huge lead doesnt it

VW are on the right track, to manufacture cars in India and that too start with hatchbacks but they waited too damn long :-(
Old 31st May 2005, 17:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
There is absolutely no way they can sell Golfs in the 5 lakh bracket. If it is sold, it will cost 8-10 lakhs minimum.
Correct. Out here the Golf costs as much as the Camry - there's a huge price difference when compared to other hatchbacks. Forget the Gt - its price is astronomical in proportion.
Old 31st May 2005, 17:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

yah Golf is way expensive. .. I think it will be wise to launch the tried and tested Polo in the indian car market ..Service backup i am sure can be Aided by Skoda Auto nationally since it has already established itself ..
VW already has a great car line up fit for the indian market ..namely the Jetta (Octavia and Jetta are both based on the same platform ) and the Passat ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks