Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 00:20   #76
srh
BHPian

[quote=aby;1312963]Just that because they are being run as taxis, they suffer abuse of the worst order/quote]

I agree. No a single Indica used for my office transport has done less that 80000 km. And the drivers themselves tell that these vehicles never see the workshop till something breaks down
Old 21st May 2009, 13:08   #77
BHPian

[COLOR=black]I am driving a Indica turbo model and have driven 35K Kms from last 15 months and not have faced any major problem. I have sometimes abused it in some very bad roads. It not a refined vehicle but not bad as pointed out. I have driven alto before for around 50K kms and it may not be in same league as Maruthi. But I know the limitations of TDI NA diesel engine and have adjusted to it. It returns me around 16/17 average mileage. Some niggling issues present and it is taken care while servicing.[/COLOR]
Old 21st May 2009, 14:25   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
I fail to understand this point... Yes Palio is not selling as it should and that could be mostly because of the marketing strategy and not because of the product. Here is my explanation to this...
Selling "as it should"? The Palio has been a sales dud for 5 years straight. I think the market has already decided what it should sell like. It's fate is sealed and if Fiat wants to build itself a fresh image (something they seem keen on), best to axe the Palio. It's plain and simple business sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Indica is a pretty reliable vehicle.
I have an Indigo that's run 25,000 of terribly abusive kms. Sure, the odd part failure (electrical, rear shock replaced etc.) takes place, but it's never broken down once yet or left us stranded on the road. I'd say the Indica / Indigo have the reliability that the market expects of them (as a VFM proposition). That said, the lemon rate of Tata's cars (defective products per 1000 manufacturered) is certainly higher than that of other manufacturers.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:11   #79
BHPian

Indica vista is a quantum leap in terms of all the above mentioned niggling problem of previous TATA cars. Agreed, the Indica as a car has a percieved image, but The VISTA is a new car with a new heart and body. I see a lot of vistas here in mumbai and everytime one passes me, my heart says "smart buy"!. especially the Qdjt ones. Its is a true VFM car, many times during discussions, when my friends talk about how Vista looks too similar to earlier Indicas. I debate and ask them how many of you buy cars based on just looks?.
Well! looks good or not? similar or not? doesnt matter! what matters is that it provides you with all what you desire from hatch for a family. The Vista Rocks!
Old 21st May 2009, 18:26   #80
BHPian

We are all talking that the VISTA is not doing as good as the V2.

But have your guys not noticed, the sales of V2 included commercial Market (Taxis), which accounted to 40% of the total Indicia’s.

But today with only 33% decrease in sales Tata are selling Vista’s to non commercial market. This in turn means an increase of 7%.

Add to that a non taxi image and better margins and lesser maintains.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Even I fail to understand why they badged the Estilo Zen, I would never want to be seen even in the passenger side of that one.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:30   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Even I fail to understand why they badged the Estilo Zen, I would never want to be seen even in the passenger side of that one.
Wonder why introduced this model
Old 26th May 2009, 13:41   #83
Senior - BHPian

estilo

Quote:
Wonder why introduced this model
Quote:
The latest news as quoted from a website is

Quote:
Maruti which is aggressively working on upgrading its models to suit Bharat IV emission models also plans to facelift its beleaguered models - Zen esitlio and versa.

Zen Estilo facelift
Compared to swift and alto, zen estilo failed to take off for Maruti Suzuki even after launching many versions of the hatchback. The zen estilo will get a facelift in exteriors and in interiors as it gears up for the Bharat IV emission norms. A new grille, a new bumper at the front and few more stickers on the body panels would be part of the facelift
Does minor change in grill and the stickering boost the sales of this estillo by big margin?. No maruti you got it all wrong. What is the need of this hatch when there are more than 4 cars in the same segment owned and marketed by you?. Seems to be nonsensical.

Last edited by geeash : 26th May 2009 at 13:45.
Old 28th May 2009, 06:59   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Selling "as it should"? The Palio has been a sales dud for 5 years straight. I think the market has already decided what it should sell like. It's fate is sealed and if Fiat wants to build itself a fresh image (something they seem keen on), best to axe the Palio. It's plain and simple business sense.
It seems that Fiat gave up on brand Palio for European and other developed markets long back. They have positioned the brand exclusively for the so called emerging markets like Brazil. As far as India is concerned, Fiat still wants to continue with Palio because they don't have any other representation in Santro/WagonR/i10 category. They also seem to have been inspired by the most successful carmaker in India plugging away with all their ancient brands. Personally, for my own sake, I want Fiat to continue producing Palios with 1.1 petrol engine well into the distant future. That will ensure availability of body parts in the event of minor accidents. I have absolutely no worries regarding the MJD engine in my Palio.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:28   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I fail to understand what is so bad about Estilo so that many in the forum keep abusing this car! Forgetting the Zen part in its name, I find it as cute as a nano or a spark and much much better looking than a Santro! I guess, performancewise it's not much different from a WagonR or Santro.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:58   #86
BHPian

I feel if the Linea and GP become a big success, then it will rub off on Palio and it will start selling. Also the fact that the Palio has survived so long despite poor sales will only help its cause.
Old 28th May 2009, 15:17   #87
BHPian

I am curious to find out about Mitsubishi Outlander sales. I had picked some news item couple of months after its launch that it is doing well. Given the fact that it is much superior vehicle compared to CRV, Endeavour, Captiva and others in the SUV segment, it would be good info to grab how it fared in the Indian market.

It is a very popular entry level SUV next only to Toyota Fortuner here in Philippines and much ahead of CRVs, Xtrails and Tucsons.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:12   #88
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big SUV = Diesel. The CRV was the only petrol SUV (correction = softroader) which met with some level of success. But the Captiva & Endeavour are really moving off showroom floors.

The Outlander is a petrol guzzler thanks to its CVT, a transmission which has noticeable lag.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Btw any figures on Nissan? Do they still sell their cars & SUV?
Old 29th May 2009, 11:14   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw any figures on Nissan? Do they still sell their cars & SUV?
Trick question, Kedar. They want to sell but nobody is buying . Of course, the Teana & X-Trail are still sold by Nissan.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed