Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 17:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic Data there Vasudeva and very well complimented by GTO with the observations penned down.

Great effort guys, really appreciate it.

@ GTO - by the way why is the thread on top with the sales analysis missing from the Indian Car scene forum? Just curious to know. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Yes, it means market share based on headline figure in row 5, and not market share based on segment share. Fortunately, the excel sheet has formulas too!!!
Ha ha , yeah the sheet was not available when I posted or would have checked for myself.

Thanks for the info and props to both you and GTO for the great work!
Cheers!
Old 12th May 2009, 17:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

I was unable to spot any Mahindra Scorpio sales figures, any idea how they compare in the SUV segment?
Old 12th May 2009, 17:14   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
what do you reckon has the linea cemented FIAT's comeback
Diesel + competent + well-priced + heavy marketing.

Quote:
I feel the punto should seal the deal, ideally.
In my books, this is Fiat's last chance. If they goof this opportunity up, they are gone for good.

Quote:
Skoda's sales are indeed shocking, no VW numbers?
I dunno. Vasudeva?

Quote:
The gypsy surge can best be attributed to election demand
You hit the nail right on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Great info!
Just curious to know how it is compiled.
Vasudeva's excel sheet (in post no.3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
On the other hand MAruti and Hyundai have been constantly introducing newer models to satiate the demands of the Indian customers.
Spot on, Dushmish. One of the major reasons behind Maruti's & Hyundai's growth has been the constant release of new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@ GTO - by the way why is the thread on top with the sales analysis missing from the Indian Car scene forum? Just curious to know. Thanks in advance.
It's not missing. The old thread has been merely "unstuck". We wish to give each month it's own dedicated discussion thread henceforth.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
Skoda's sales are indeed shocking, no VW numbers?
They are a matter of national security and not disclosed to anyone in India. Write a mail to Herr Winterkorn.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:43   #21
BHPian

Is Xylo impacting innova sales ??

Toyota UV sales shows a massive dip in April 09 v/s April 08 , 2835 v/s 4531, Is it the Xylo effect ???
If any one has the Feb, March and April 09 numbers for following vehicles, we could see whether Xylo is actually eating into Innova's share

Innova
Scorpio
Xylo
Grande/Sumo
Safari
Old 12th May 2009, 17:56   #22
BHPian

Perhaps T-BHP should start a print mag.
Looking @ what the print media dishes out, just the mods here would kill their business, add the inputs of members we have enough meaningful data to run upto 100 pages every month.

Maybe this monthly roll up thread could refine the idea and give it shape.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
They are a matter of national security and not disclosed to anyone in India. Write a mail to Herr Winterkorn.
Good one!

I will recommend a gander to the Maker maxity building in BKC, Mumbai where the VW office is located. the parking lot outside seems like the VW stock yard!
Are they distributing unsold cars to their execs?

I do have inside information that profits are absolutely nada at this point of time, I didn't want to humiliate my source by asking him for sales figures and the unsold stock considering how gloomy he seemed about the profitability figures!
Old 12th May 2009, 18:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

The entire C+ segment seems to have shrunk ( except for maybe the Altis ) which has grown BUT THEN possibly from a smaller base ( the earlier Corolla anyway was taking a big hit after the CIVIC launch )

so is it fair to say that SKODA has not lost market share in this segment per se because the entire segment shrunk ?

also why has this segment shrunk so much ? I thought this would be one of those fairly recession proof segments ? is APRIL just an aberration?
Old 12th May 2009, 18:08   #25
BHPian

GTO and Vasudeva, thanks for the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's not missing. The old thread has been merely "unstuck". We wish to give each month it's own dedicated discussion thread henceforth.
When a new thread is started for the next month can the existing thread be merged with the master thread? I liked having all the months in one giant master thread!

Last edited by CarsPG : 12th May 2009 at 18:26.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite an interesting report and i think it's posted in an official manner for the first time. Makes sense to do this on a QoQ and YoY basis, would form a good source to do a quick check !!!!

Am I correct to assume that Accent Petrol ( which you rightly stated is around for dog's years) is outselling Verna Petrol + Diesel in volumes? I recall reading this somewhere
Old 12th May 2009, 18:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice segment by segment analysis.Earlier it used to be difficult to diffentiate the models in each segment.
thanks GTO.
And anybody has Audi figures?An any idea how are niche players like Volvo,Porsche,Rolls-Royce,Lamborghini and Bentley are doing?
Old 12th May 2009, 19:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Vasudeva and GTO ... Kudos guys!
Linea figures seem to have declined from the earlier, over 1400 a month of 1000 odd. Is the honeymoon period getting over. albeit a little slowly.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@Vasudeva and GTO ... Kudos guys!
Linea figures seem to have declined from the earlier, over 1400 a month of 1000 odd. Is the honeymoon period getting over. albeit a little slowly.
April is always a lean month, and it would not be a surprise if sales are booked in March, but deliveries are in April. Happens with all companies, not just in auto. 1100 is still a respectable showing, and 1 month does not make a trend.

Dear Pradster: refer post 24: you could invite a lawsuit from VW to be soon followed by a extended jail term.

Last edited by vasudeva : 12th May 2009 at 19:11.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
Great work.

Lets see how many shoddy websites and lame magazines copy this :@

Edit, no scorpio/balero/xylo?
M&M sold 22617 units in April, up 16% y-o-y.
Bolero-6000 units
Xylo-3509 units
Scorpio-3100 units.

source:M&M riding high on SUVs- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Quote:
Over 6,000 units of the Bolero were sold in April, with the newly-launched Xylo selling 3,509 units and the Scorpio doing 3,100 units. Against this, the Toyota Innova sold 2,834 units, while the Tata Sumo sold 1642 units (including 174 units of Grande) and the Safari sold 774 units.
P.S.: thanks to avishar.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th May 2009 at 19:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed