Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 21:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Well Honda has very well understood that it can encash its "premium" tag so it is playing its game as expected. I hope it bombs this time (though am pretty sure it wont)
Old 13th May 2009, 21:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

At 7L, the Jazz does not have climate control, USB port, alloys and fogs! That's outrageous! Honda is surely gonna lose out the 'premium hatch" battle.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
At 7L, the Jazz does not have climate control, USB port, alloys and fogs! That's outrageous! Honda is surely gonna lose out the 'premium hatch" battle.
Looks like Honda has a separate R&D team to design ACC, alloys and fog lamps. And they are so superior in quality that Honda cannot afford giving at this economical price. Or the reason might be that the ACC, alloys and fog lamps will not work in Indian conditions

Last edited by cruiser_1982 : 13th May 2009 at 21:55.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Neat engine.

74bhp/ltr and a very strong torque curve. The drop in torque from 4800 to 6000 is only 3.6%.

Shan2nu
Old 13th May 2009, 22:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

If its priced 7 lacs ex showroom, then i hope it flops. High time Honda learns a lesson. Fabia i guess you have some company here.All i have to say is all the best Fiat GP and VW Polo.
Old 14th May 2009, 00:40   #81
BHPian

The exact same things were said and arguments made about the city, but look at the results. It's a rollicking success and Honda has even raised prices. So this talk of Honda failure with the Jazz might be wishful thinking.

As long as folks are willing to pay inflated prices and justify it car makers like Honda will continue to push the pricing to maximize margins. And the fact that competition here is not as intense gives them that much more room to play.

The jazz is not being merely positioned as 'premium' but 'Ultra Premium', never mind whether that has connection with reality. Else where its positioned as practical with innovative use of space. Here since they have some traction with premium they can afford to stretch it and they will get away with it.

There is a market for over priced cars and the exclusivity that ensues. That's perhap where Jazz will play. In a place like Mumbai you can think of n number of folks who would find this appealing and go for it.

Last edited by raul : 14th May 2009 at 00:44.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

I though that this car was priced in the 5.5-6lac range!. At 7lacs i wouldn't buy one, but i guess i'm in a minority. The automakers apparently know the Indian mindset and play on it. Less money means less cache over here.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:20   #83
BHPian

Well this strategy of Honda could have been well gauged from the following things.
1. Removing the Honda Civic's 1.8 S variant which was priced in Delhi at 11.7 lacs on road.
2. Pricing the ANHC at 8.5 lacs ex showroom in Delhi.
Hence they made place for pricing the Jazz at 7 lacs.
Had the case been the ANHC at 8 lacs and the Civic at 11.7 lacs Honda would have been forced to price its hatchback at 5.5 to 6.5 lacs as the Indian buyers would have been tmpted for the sedan if the price difference between it and the hatchback would have been miniscule.The previous generation city was priced at 7.8 lacs on road Delhi. Just compare Jazz to the prev gen City.Apart from i-VTEC there is nothing substantially different. And guess by now i-VTEC should have become cheap as we have had this technology in India since the prev-gen accord and the civic.
Honda surely knows how to rip off Indian customers when it comes to overpricing the cars.
7 lacs exshowroom means 7.4 lacs on road in Delhi.In cities like Bangalore it would cost at least 60 K more.
8 lacs for a hatchback without ACC and alloys and suddenly i-20 starts looking great for its features and price.
We are into the same argument about VFM which we were having last year when ANHC was launched.
Even though i love Honda cars but i really admire Maruti and Hyundai for their consideration for the Indian market.

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 14th May 2009 at 08:30. Reason: Added more content.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:29   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
zoom_vroom : 2. Pricing the ANHC at 8.5 lacs in Delhi.
Hence they made place for pricing the Jazz at 7 lacs.
Had the case been the ANHC at 8 lacs and the Civic at 11.7 lacs Honda would have been forced to price its hatchback at 5.5 to 6.5 lacs as the Indian buyers would have been tmpted for the sedan if the price
With the 7L pricing for the single variant that is being launched, is Honda trying to :
1. Get as many ready-to-pay-premium customers in the first round.
2. In about year, launch a stripped down variant at a lower price.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
2. In about year, launch a stripped down variant at a lower price.
Guess what a stripped down Jazz would be like.
1. Steel wheels.
2. Black door latches and no integrated stereo.
3. No airbags and ABS.
Price difference of 1 lac from top end Jazz.
This is how they created the Civic -E MT version.
How will they manage to omit features from an already basic hatch.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:48   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
zoom_vroom : ... This is how they created the Civic -E MT version.

See ? They already have a plan they can use ! The Jazz is supposed to have airbags, audio etc .. Ready list of parts to remove. Do this just after a price hike of the variant they are planning to launch now .. !

Last edited by condor : 14th May 2009 at 08:51.
Old 14th May 2009, 09:24   #87
BHPian

whats this about premium or ultra premium being said here? Do we know the kind of features that go into ultra premium cars! ABS and 2airbags are not a premium feature, its a safety feature - yes 7 airbags is premium safety not ultra premium though.
Now i for one will buy a car for its engine and so will a couple of performance oriented bhpians and then later put aftermarket stuff on it. I am all for aftermarket alloys, aftermarket ICE. But a premium hatch should atleast offer premium performance features like all over disc brakes (no drums), better rear suspension et al. Sure these too can also be added aftermarket
But do you guys think the average buyer is looking for all of the above - what they are looking at is ultra premium comfort features like auto climate control, blue&me or somethng which your regular basic hatch does not have.
And now with such features available in puntos, swifts, where is the USP for honda jazz as far as average buyer goes?
So its either performance enthusiasts (like few bhpians) or complete buffoons buying this car - i am guessing there are more buffoons though

Last edited by jassi : 14th May 2009 at 09:26.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Someone in Honda India told me that the Jazz is a disappointing product. Price was not disclosed, but he said that product wise the car is a big let down in terms of performance and specs. In his words, "the only reason the car will sell is because of the Honda badge otherwise it's surely not a worth buying car"

Was with someone from GM last week. Some details about Cruze were given by him. I will put them up in the Cruze thread if I can find it!

Last edited by amit : 14th May 2009 at 10:33.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
If its priced 7 lacs ex showroom, then i hope it flops. High time Honda learns a lesson. Fabia i guess you have some company here.All i have to say is all the best Fiat GP and VW Polo.
I read in the TOI today that the Jazz would be priced at around 5.5 lacs. This seeems to be a decent price. It will surely hot things up for the Swift, Getz, UVA and the Fabia.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:13   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Guess what a stripped down Jazz would be like.
1. Steel wheels.
2. Black door latches and no integrated stereo.
3. No airbags and ABS.
Price difference of 1 lac from top end Jazz.
This is how they created the Civic -E MT version.
ABSOLUTELY not possible. Honda has openly stated that ALL cars from Honda will have safety features as standard (Airbags & ABS).

So the only thing left is colored door handles, stereo and stereo mounted controls, magic seats & electrically adjustable mirrors - perhaps totalling upto 50k.

Anyone game for a stripped down E version at 6.5 ex-showroom?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed